I have an idea for a character, but don't know how to build him

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 epicurius

epicurius

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm posting because I've come up with a character idea that I really like, but I don't know if I can do it, mechanically.  My idea is for some sort of mad artist whose paintings drive people crazy.  Looking at his art, for instance, would give somebody insanity or corruption.  How would I make something like that?

• Athanatosz likes this

#2 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

maybe as a heretec... but the arts instantly give corp&ins or a test is needed?

"I am determined to prove a villain

And hate the idle pleasures of these days."

KING RICHARD III

#3 Bellevue

Bellevue

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

A completely random idea, feel free to ignore, but perhaps your character has at some point bound daemons into a painting or two. Maybe to try and make people really appreciate his art or maybe because he really needed the daemons gone. Either way it could work but daemons are likely to rebel and drive people mad in an attempt to get free.

The exact mechanics would need to be houseruled from the daemon weapon rules. Your character would need at minimum high int and some relevant forbidden lores, such as daemonology.

• Athanatosz likes this

#4 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Good thinking... b(^_^)d

in that case an unique ritual to bound the daemons..(maybe lesser ones) needed

(as a heretek he/she could make the paintings frames to act like a window to the warp so ones looking to the picture could also looking trough to the warp to...)

KING RICHARD III

#5 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Slaaneshi character with Trade (Rememberancer) to create tha art, maybe the Beauty passion and, well, anything you want really. There's no mechanical direction to take your character if you want to achieve something of that kind. Intelliegence, Skill advances and such to create art (and probably Forbidden lore daemonology to create the daemon weapon (read: art").

#6 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Wasn't  Fulgrim spirit once bonded to a paintings to? maybe there is some fluff about it or something...

KING RICHARD III

#7 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Read the novel Fulgrim and the short story The Mirror Crack'd.

Equally, there is a comparable item in Dark Heresy - a painting called The Glory Of The Emperor In The Light Of Dawn or some such. Apparently a beautiful painting but if you look at it under a magnifying glass it consists of 'pixels' of hundreds of tiny, coloured human figures all writhing in agony.

I would agree on a slaaneshi themed character, and make the creation of the paintings rituals. Agree with your GM how difficult it's going to be - this will depend on whether the insanity comes from just putting daemonic concepts and form into the image, or actually binding a daemon to the painting/sculpture.

Personally I'd go with the latter. It's a cool idea and it also leaves open the possibility for lots of sneaky ideas - as well as driving someone ga-ga (which daemonic presence and fear can do very nicely), the daemon can also manipulate a 'client' in a more subtle way (voice in your head style, as with Fulgrim), or can act as a spy, or - if bound into a nice small statue - could potentially animate and open a door for you from the inside. Art which steals itself - its the latest thing in criminal enterprise!

#8 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

, or - if bound into a nice small statue - could potentially animate and open a door for you from the inside. Art which steals itself - its the latest thing in criminal enterprise!

why do I suddenly get this chaos infused image of "nigh at the museum" crossed with " toy solders"?

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#9 Bellevue

Bellevue

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

, or - if bound into a nice small statue - could potentially animate and open a door for you from the inside. Art which steals itself - its the latest thing in criminal enterprise!

why do I suddenly get this chaos infused image of "nigh at the museum" crossed with " toy solders"?

Because today's the day the chaos lords have their picnic?

#10 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was more going for a Ray Harryhausen Sinbad homunculus, but hey.

More interesting would be if you could pull off such a trick with the kind of fifteen-metre high heroic bronzes of space marines and saints the imperium is so fond of using to decorate palaces, public spaces and cathedrals.

"What in the name of....What did you do!!?!!!"

"You said you wanted a distraction."

#11 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hmmm.. maybe a mutation which renders you a statue like state if you do not move within 10 minutes. growing in a bronze or marple like shell (maybe some small ac bonus too)

KING RICHARD III

#12 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Or he could have acquired/made a modified version of the Dark Eldar Glass Plague? > :)

Edited by Keffisch, 17 September 2013 - 06:53 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS