Photo

Disadvantages for small groups of investigators against some AOs in final combat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I dont know if this has been a topic for discussion before around here, but I recently thought that some AOs are much better to beat for the investigators in final combat, if they engage them in a greater group.

So I made a graph to compare this effect:

Investigator_Influence.png

This shows the mean minimum successes that every investigator has to achieve during a single round of the final combat.

Some assumptions were made: No investigator is devoured at the beginning of final combat. Every investigator has a total maximum sanity and stamina of 10, reduced to 8, which results in a maximum of 6 combat rounds against Cthulhu.

The values for Zhar are middled due to the fact that the investigator with the zhar-token just has one hand for the fight. Probably the number of dices to roll for an attack with only one hand are not just the half of the number of dices with both hands but maybe a bit higher, but this is a necessary simplification. 

Of course this chart cannot be used to compare the difficulty of the several AOs in final combat, because it does not take in account the different immunities and combat modifiers. But they are still the same no matter how many investigators you play, so I think they have no effect if you compare the strength of an AO against a tiny group of investigators or against a large group.

What do you think about this effect?

It may be thematically fitting but it unbalances the game a bit, I think...

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm sure the analysis is sound...bottom line: seal gates.  It's been proven, and Tibs' who is actually an astrophysicist or in some some other big-brained field has tons of data to back-up the assertion that, it's much easier for one Investigator to win a Final Battle but nearly impossible to seal gates and the exact oppostite is true for teams consisting of eight Investigators.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Investigators would get seven attacks before succumbing to Cthulhu (they die on the 7th attack).

Where does Ghatanothoa fit in? The first success an investigator deals each round is lost.

Or Chaugnar Faugn, who limits damage each round?

Edited by Tibs, 13 September 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#4 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Investigators would get seven attacks before succumbing to Cthulhu (they die on the 7th attack).

Where does Ghatanothoa fit in? The first success an investigator deals each round is lost.

Or Chaugnar Faugn, who limits damage each round?

You are right with Cthulhu, I missed that, so the line for Cthulhu should be on a lower level.

I have chosen these 3, because Final Battle with them has almost any time the same conditions. 

With Ghatanothoa it also strongly depends on the used Investigators (and there equipment), I guess.

Chaugnar Faugn would probably be even harder to calculate.

And if it is very hard for a small group of Investigators to win through sealing, as the Professor says and I agree with that as far as I can tell by now, it would be almost impossible for this small group of Investigators to beat some AOs like Zhar or Quachil Uttaus at all, I would guess.

I think I will give it a try soon...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS