Some questions

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Question about sealing gates and removing monsters with same dimensionsymbol.

Does this count for monsters in the sky/outskirt?

When a flying monster appears and doesn't move in the turn it appears, does it fly to the sky or does it stay on the gate?

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hi!

Whenever you seal / close a gate, matching dimensional symbol monsters are removed from Arkham. This includes locations, street areas, the Sky and the Outskirts.

Flyers do move only when their dimensional symbol is shown on the monster movement box on the Mythos cards. So, if a Flyer appears and it's not instructed to move by the Mythos card, then it stays were it appeared. The whole Flyers movement (that can be somehow tricky) is detailed very well in the new FAQ, so, if you get a chance to download them, you'll find a lot more :)

Hope this helps!

JULIA

• Garthnait likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

When you start to get some of the expansions, Gate Bursts add a whole new level of treachery to the game...oh, and Flyers move during Gate Bursts, as well.  Good times!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks.

#5 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Another question.

If a card let my investigator go back to Arkham from the OW, may I close the gate in the next phase? So does it count as I have investigated the OW?

#6 AltWren

AltWren

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Another question.

If a card let my investigator go back to Arkham from the OW, may I close the gate in the next phase? So does it count as I have investigated the OW?

I know this one!  Yes, being returned by a card or Find Gate spell still counts as having explored the portal, unless stated otherwise by the card.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

If something says "return," then you get an explored token. If something says "move to the Black Cave," then you would go to the Black Cave and wouldn't receive an explored token (I can recall no more than one OW encounter that does something like this).

#8 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Their is one (or more?) Mythos Card that let you return to Arkham an it says "you MAY return to Arkham". 

Thanks for the answers.

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

Yes, it's "you may". Point is that when you return to Arkham, you get a free pass for monsters guarding the gate that lasts only for the turn you return to Arkham. So, if there are monsters guarding the gate and you return during the Mythos, in the next Movement Phase, before being able to attempt to close / seal the gates, you have to deal with them. So, sometimes you could prefer simply enjoying the sunset over Leng and stay there, sipping cola.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Julia,

That may be the title to one of my short stories or session reports...

"Sunset Over Leng"

Ciao,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

#11 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

Another question. Fighting an AO:

The rules say the group have to get as many successes as investigators starting the game to get rid of one Doomtoken. 

A group of 3 investigators:

Player A rolls 3 sucesses, Player B rolls 2 and Player C rolls 1. May I remove 2 Doomtokens?

What if Player A rolls 5 and Player B none and Player C 1?

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Garrhnait,

Let me start by saying "Yes" to both of your propositions...now,

This question dates back to 2005...and we're still answering it.  If you're an RPGer, think of the total number of successes to defeat an AO as a set number of hit points = Highest Number on the Doom Track x # of Investigators.  Thus, an AO with a Doom Track of 10 in a game with four Investigators would require 40 successes.  If in any given turn, remove a Doom Token for every four successes and simply remember how many additional successes were scored but didn't remove a Doom Token.

Example...Yig in Final Combat with four Investigators.  The Investigators score nine successes...thus, remove two Doom Tokens (one for each four successes) with one more success.  I personally use the "1-3" counters to identify how many successes are required to remove the next Doom Token.  In the next round, the Investigators score six successes.  Immediately remove one Doom Token for the set of four successes and you have two remaining successes.  Adding those two successes to the previous round's one success, you have three of the required four successes to remove another Doom Token.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 15 September 2013 - 06:31 AM.

The Professor

#13 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Ah okay,... the successes are counting in the next combat rounds as well...

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yes. It's just that the rules incredibly bad worded. You're not the first one to ask, and you won't be the last one. Basically, if you play with N investigators and M is the length of the doom track, you have to deal to the AO

successes = N*M

(unless the AO has some regenerative powers)

#15 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I knew someone would post the formula (I kinda thought it would be Tibs) :P

The Professor

#16 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Okay, thats make the fight much more easier as I thought.

#17 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

True...but go for the Sealing Gates...it's just safer.  In the immortal words of Indiana Jones, "Trust me!"

The Professor

#18 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Garthnait, there is a suggested houserule (from Kevin Wilson) that is called clue-per-seal rule: you cannot spend more clue tokens to add dice to a combat check while in final battle than the number of seals on the board. This was done to avoid having people simply gearing up for war during the normal game.

#19 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

"Gearing-up for war" ~ I would like to buy the tank for $7 and a small tactical fighter for $9

• Julia likes this

The Professor

#20 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Garthnait, there is a suggested houserule (from Kevin Wilson) that is called clue-per-seal rule: you cannot spend more clue tokens to add dice to a combat check while in final battle than the number of seals on the board. This was done to avoid having people simply gearing up for war during the normal game.

This rule sounds very good to me. I think we will use this in future games.

True...but go for the Sealing Gates...it's just safer.  In the immortal words of Indiana Jones, "Trust me!"

That is what we always try to do. ;) Or trying to close all gates on the table.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS