Photo

I find Fantasy Flight....GUILTY...of.....

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

What if instead of coming up with new abilities, the characters were assigned a number and these numbers helped determine the starting resources using some formula? 

Did you get this idea from LotR LCG? It does look much like the initial threat of the chosen heroes.

I was thinking of the Threat Ratings from Descent 1st Edition. Not surprising if they share similar functions considering they're both FFG.

#22 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about which characters becoming Cylons; part of the shock is losing someone you really needed to help out. Another thing I would assume is just as making sure you have enough skill sets represented, players would balance out any resource bonus and loss.

#23 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think that while yes there is a meta-game (character X is better than character Y because of the show), it more comes down to everyone having a role. And those roles dont always come up. And those roles sometimes require synergy with other characters, game expansions or situations.
So yes, Apollo may seem pretty powerful but he's pretty much designed as a Solo pilot - you dont need other pilots when he's active. You look at other characters like Tigh and yeah he seems sub-par in a one-on-one comparison but that's not what he's about - he's there to reinforce military command and make sure Galactica doesn't go to hell in a hand basket the second a Cylon rears its head.
Now don't get me wrong as i am not saying that everything is perfectly balanced and nothing is wrong. I just feel that as far as board games go BSG is one of the finest out there and has done a frakking good job of balancing game mechanics and story tie-ins to the show.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS