So much Anders hate?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Maybe I'll give him a shot in our next game, I constantly get stuck picking pilots anyway so we'll see what happens. If only his OPG was a little better to make up for the rest of him. Hot Dog doesn't really seem much better to me, so it's Kat or Anders the next time I have to play a pilot.

#22 dakuth

dakuth

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Maybe I'll give him a shot in our next game, I constantly get stuck picking pilots anyway so we'll see what happens. If only his OPG was a little better to make up for the rest of him. Hot Dog doesn't really seem much better to me, so it's Kat or Anders the next time I have to play a pilot.

I actually think the rest of Anders is supposed to make up for his OPG. Not having to draw piloting is, I think, extremely powerful.

What *I* wish was that his OPT was a little better so he could still pilot, in a pinch, without having to sacrifice an action. If I was houseruling him I'd make his OPT a OPG with it being free. Then I'd make his OPT some sort of dice manipulation on his turn. Maybe he can discard a card for +1, max 4, or something.

#23 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Second time using Anders and I was a Cylon again. Think the Lords of Kobol are trying to tell me something, lol. :-P

It was our first time playing Daybreak and I spent most of my time on Demetrius... wow, I really wasn't straying far from the show. Hahaha. Anyway, since I was there I wasn't really being the best Anders I could, I guess.

#24 Hannibal Rex

Hannibal Rex

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well, I can report back from my first game as Anders. I've put my theory to the test, and it pretty much worked as advertised; go to the Press Room, don't play low cards into skill check unless absolutely necessary, draw extra cards from an XO or two. I used Star Player twice, each time trading in 6 cards for more tactics, mainly looking to get more SPs into circulation. The second time I was over my hand limit already, and had to discard three of the lowest new cards I drew. And that was all before the second jump; I turned into a Cylon, and got hit with the Arrest Order/Execute Prisoner combo shortly after soft-revealing.

Using Star Player to simply mill the deck is interestingly a strategy that doesn't necessarily benefits only Anders himself. Even if the new cards you get are mostly chaff again, that just means that the next player who draws has a better chance to get something useful.

Having plenty of cards in hand is key, and you'll have to remind/convince your fellow players of that too, as that affects the XOs you get, and for example the President's decision on a discard crisis.

What I don't like is how his "only on your own turn" OPG directly conflicts with his Star Player power, especially as a Cylon. Picking the die roll on an action like activating the Main Batteries to shoot down a civvie or another pilot is neat, but so would be trading in your hand for a full draw of Piloting.

Edited by Hannibal Rex, 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#25 JasX

JasX

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Ok, just played an earth game with anders and he seriously kicked ass

-> Kept a ton of chaff in my hand, drew up to 13 cards, Play critical situation.

Discard 12 cards, draw 12 tactics

Discard 11 cards, draw 11 tactics

Choice crisis

Back XO next turn, play scout for fuel with the strat plan I was holding back

In theory repeat a ton of times getting +1 fuel per three XOs or so :)

We got to 10 distance with 1 fuel remaining and jumped away to win!

• Mephisto666 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS