Quick Ancient Battle rule clarification

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cinek190

cinek190

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hi everyone, i'm new to these forums, but i've been playing board games all my life, and just recently bought AH, and all of its expansions (because that's how i buy games:)

I have one query regarding Ancient One attacks, which i was hoping to obtain an answer for from you lovely people.

Namely, if, for example, Cthulhu begins attacking, and there are three investigators in the game, does that mean that during that turn alone, everyone must choose to lower their maximum Sanity or Stamina - or a combination of the two - three times - assuming that Cthulhu doesn't devour anyone before getting to the third Investigator, or do those special abilities only came into play once on each turn, regardless of player numbers?

I assume it's the former, which would fittingly make the final battle substantialy more difficult.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

When you go to Final Battle, all investigators are allowed to attack once, and then the Ancient One attacks back. So if you have three investigators battling Cthulhu, you attack with investigator n.1, then n.2, then n.3 and then Cthulhu attacks.

His attacks says "each investigator", so investigator n.1 has to lower his max San or Sta by one, and then n.2 and finally n.3. Then Cthulhu regenerates one doom token, and then a new round begins

Hope this helps

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 cinek190

cinek190

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

Thank you.

The vagueness of the actual instructions  - not  'when that investigator is attacked', but 'each investigator' - can also be interpreted as each investigator having to remove a counter whenever Cthulhu attacks, so in this instance three times in a turn, not only when they themselves are attacked by Cthulhu. The first example would make the battle short and swift - either all doom tokens are removed extremely quickly, or everyone is devoured in the space of two, maybe three turns if they had a lot of remaining sanity and health going into the final battle.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS