Melee timing question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Our meta has played numerous melee games but recently we have got a bit complacent/sloppy with the timings and just need a reminder about the following please :

Player A declares attackers against Player B

Player B declares no defenders.   Once the 'no defenders' have been declared could Player C potentially step in to redirect/ support ( assuming titles etc allow this )or would this have to happen before defenders are declared or no defenders is declared ?

thanks

#2 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard title requires you to wait until the defender declares no defenders before you can redirect that Military challenge to you.

This is also true with the Supports mechanic. You must wait until the defender declares no defenders.

The Crown Regent title, however, must be initiated after attackers are declared and before any player actions are taken.

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#3 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard title requires you to wait until the defender declares no defenders before you can redirect that Military challenge to you.

This is also true with the Supports mechanic. You must wait until the defender declares no defenders.

The Crown Regent title, however, must be initiated after attackers are declared and before any player actions are taken.

Thanks, this is what we thought but wanted to double check

#4 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

One slight variation on this that i would like clarification on :

Player A attacks Player B with a military challenge

Player B declares no defenders

Player C supports player B

Player D has Lord Commander of the Kingsguard title

Who would act first player C or player D ?

Thanks

#5 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm pretty sure it would be Player D. Lord Commander of the Kingsguard has been defined as a CANCEL that occurs in Step 2 of the Declare Defenders framework. While I can't find exactly where the Supports mechanic steps in... I haven't seen that defined as a cancel and my hunch is that it happens AFTER the cancel window.

But - on that - I'm not 100% certain.

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

"Supports" mechanic is Step 3 (when the "no defenders" declaration becomes official through resolution).

"Lord Commander" in Step 2 (because it is specifically defined as a Cancel effect).

This is also seen in the fact that with Lord Commander, the attacking player gets to reassign stealth; with the Supports mechanic, they do not.

So Lord Commander always gets the first crack at the undefended military challenge.

#7 guyhancock

guyhancock

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:57 AM

This looks like a good place to ask a question about a situation that come up yesterday.

I think this is answered in the first response above and just want to confirm it.

If someone as Lord Commander redirects a challenge on the themself, can the Crown Regent then redirect the challenge?

I'm reading the above as saying "No" because the time for them to do that has passed. One of the players thought that the Lord Commander creates a new challenge, though if they have already declared attackers I presume that is not the case.

cheers and thanks

Guy 

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

You are correct. Lord Commander does not create a new challenge, so attackers are not declared again. Since Crown Regent redirects right after attackers are declared, there is no chance for that title to redirect away from The Lord Commander.

#9 guyhancock

guyhancock

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks ktom

Guy

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS