Dutch Vander and R5-K6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

I searched the Rules forum but couldn't find an answer to my question... Here's the question:

Can Dutch's ability be activated in the Combat Phase by the R5-K6 droid? Dutch's ability is normally activated in the Activation Phase if he Target Locks (TLs) an enemy. I think the answer to my questions is "yes", but I wanted some feedback to see if my logic is correct.

Dutch's Ability: "After acquiring a target lock, choose another friendly ship at Range 1-2. The chosen ship may immediately acquire a target lock."

R5-K6 Ability: "After spending your target lock, roll 1 defense die. On a (evade) result, immediately acquire a target lock on that same ship. You cannot spend this target lock during this attack."

Scenario:

Combat Phase

1. Dutch (PS6) has acquired a TL on an enemy Academy TF (PS1) (Dutch "gave" a TL to Wedge in the Activation Phase, and Wedge flew out of the picture). Biggs (PS5) is in Range 2 and has a Focus. (ignore the fact the TLs are different letters...this is just for illustration)

IMG_1027.jpg

2. Dutch uses the TL as part of his attack, but the TF is still alive. 

IMG_1028.jpg

3. Dutch activates the R5-K6 droid card, and rolls an evade dice. Dutch is granted another TL on the TF (but can't use it). (Here's the question) Does the R5-K6 trigger Dutch's ability? If yes, then Biggs is granted a TL which he can use during his attack.

IMG_1029.jpg

This is my interpretation of this rule, but I wanted to see if my logic is sound. What say you?

Edited by Deltmi, 07 September 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#2 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

Yup. You can even spend his TL and roll no dice to hand out free ones.
:>¡<: X-wing x5, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x7, Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x4, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x2, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x1, CR-90 x1

#3 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

That is how that combination works. Also, keep in mind that Dutch's ability is NOT a free action, its treated as an ability. This means that you could generate a target lock on Biggs even if Biggs has a stress token on him. 

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28

#4 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

While this is possible, I don't recommend it personally. R5-K6 is an imperial spy, and so he chooses to malfunction a lot, sabotaging your target lock plans.

In my opinion, he is the single worst card in the game.
Be seeing you.

#5 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

While this is possible, I don't recommend it personally. R5-K6 is an imperial spy, and so he chooses to malfunction a lot, sabotaging your target lock plans.

Which is the exact reason to do it. With Dutch you want to Target Lock every round anyway. An extra one in three chance is nice as long as you aren't relying on it. So doing anything to increase the number of times you attempt it is good. If you succeed you succeed, if you fail... it's not like you weren't going to try to acquire another lock next round anyway right?

Granted the fact that the little guy is the same cost as the objectively better Fire Control System is annoying but if you have a spare two points and nothing pressing to do with it...

#6 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I understand the reasoning perfectly well. The theoretical synergy exists, if you were building a squad with no point restrictions. But there are always better ways to spend the points in your squad than that droid. It is a terrible choice if you are building a competitive list.
Be seeing you.

#7 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I believe saboteur is going to become a serious contender for that title.

Edited by Jehan Menasis, 08 September 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#8 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Double post, sorry

Edited by Jehan Menasis, 08 September 2013 - 12:13 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS