• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yesterday, after a nightmarish struggle lasting for 18 turns, I was finally able to defeat Nyarlathotep + Ghroth. The game was incredibly tense: I had three times a match ball served, and three times everything was screwed.

First time with four seals on the board and Silas considering committing suicide to score a victory by closing gates. No way, the new FAQ was in my way, with the trophy he had to spend in order to sacrifice himself, I had 4 gate trophies and I needed 5 to win.

Then with five seals on the board and an investigator in the second area of an OW ready to return and seal, and a Mythos Card bursting the seal at Independence Square

Finally Marie in the second area of the Underworld with the five clues for the sixth seal got the "you can spend one Sanity and one Stamina for each clue token you want to save. Discard the rest" and she had only one Sanity left (facepalm)

The game could have been won with Nyarly at 4 doomers, and it was won by closing with 10 doomers on the doom track, after using twice Marie's Witch Blood AND an Eltdown Shards,

Anyway, this was the end of my "Ghroth cycle". I played a complete rotation of AOs against the Nemesis Moon, and won all 24 times. Basically, some considerations:

a) the "spend one clue or roll one die" clause it's just a mental trap; there is no sense in sacrificing vital resources as clues only to avoid risking a 1/6 extra doomer to be added to the doom track

b) the only challenge is represented by the extra two doomers on the doom track, but working with a minimum of strategy allowed me to deal with this with ease, technically completely justifying the modified doom track version of the base game AOs Avi wrote some time ago

• dj2.0, The Professor and Schwaig like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Julia,

It truly is sentient...I just started s game with Harvey, Rita, George, and Wilson.  I had a great strategy for Rita to push some cash into Wilson's hands after he left the Woods, and she would tarry along to gather some Clue tokens.  Nope...a Gate opens at the end of that very turn in the Woods...goodbye Wilson!

AIYAA!!!

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Tin Hat? ;)

That sounds like a wild ride Julia! But persistence paid off, many congrats! Yeah that Ghroth dude, he plays poker, but he often bluffs. His bite is really in the beginning of the game, which Marie counters nicely. Where can I find Avis mod? Or is that an insane challenge?

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

Dj,

they are buried somewhere in the fan creation forum. PM Avi, it's the easiest thing. Or you can wait a couple of weeks so that I can resurrect my old pc with the file in it, and I'll mail you the rules. As you wish :)

Indeed, the first bite, and then not much. Next 24-game cycle is against Dagon & Hydra. Let's see if they are able to bite something deeper

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

@Dj

If Julia's talking about what I think she is, I'm reposting a link to that on the other thread.  But here it is again.  It's the second post in this thread.

http://community.fan...showtopic=49922

Edited by Avi_dreader, 09 September 2013 - 11:46 AM.

• dj2.0 likes this

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

a) the "spend one clue or roll one die" clause it's just a mental trap; there is no sense in sacrificing vital resources as clues only to avoid risking a 1/6 extra doomer to be added to the doom track

I'm sure you know this, but I'd just like to qualify your statement.  It's mostly a mental trap.  If you have enough resources to win the game and would like to prevent doom token increases for whatever reason (and this doesn't cut into your game winning resources), it may be worth doing.  Hypothetically speaking.  Of course.  Technicality for the win! ;'D

• Julia likes this

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm sure you know this, but I'd just like to qualify your statement.  It's mostly a mental trap.  If you have enough resources to win the game and would like to prevent doom token increases for whatever reason (and this doesn't cut into your game winning resources), it may be worth doing.  Hypothetically speaking.  Of course.  Technicality for the win! ;'D

Sure. But if you have enough to sacrifice, then it's not a "vital resource" :P

#8 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sure. But if you have enough to sacrifice, then it's not a "vital resource" :P

Ooo, out-technicalitied, it burns, it buuuurns!

Although I'm tempted to quibble over the semantics here ;')

#9 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Did you play those 24 games with random investigators and chosen investigators? Also did you use the same team for every game or did you change the investigators between the games?

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

No chosen investigator. When Miskatonic was released, I challenged myself: being able to beat all possible combinations of Heralds and Ancient Ones with a party randomly selected, with the only special rule of not allowing a new "selection" of an investigator before a complete rotation of the investigator was done. This means that, if for instance in the first game I play with Amanda, Rita, Wilson and Hank, these cannot be picked up until all other 44 investigator have been played once. At the moment I played

- 24 games with no Herald (zero defeats)

- 24 games with the King in Yellow Herald (lost to Eihort, then I replayed the same match with the same investigators and won by sealing gates in 9 turns; and lost to Chaugnar Faughn, then rematch won by closing gates in 6 turns)

- 24 games with Ghroth (zero defeats)

- 3 games with Dagon & Hydra (Bokrug,Yibb-Tstll - this was an infernal one, with the AO limiting the clues and a Herald forcing you to discard clues - and, tonight, Yig)

#11 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Just impressive :)

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Thx :-) Still, there is a lot of space to improve!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS