Dual wielding Blaster carbines?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Urd

Urd

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

So, you can Dual Wield twi Ranged (light weapons) or one Ranged (light) and a Melee Weapon.

According to the Desciption Ranged (light) is for one handed ranged Weapons, and Ranged (heavy) for two handed ranged weapons.

Acordding to The desciption of the Carbine/Rifle you can wield such weapons with one Hand, when shooting at Short range maximum.

My question: Does that mean, Carbines/Blasters are used with Range (light) when wielded onehanded?

If not: can you Dual Wield with a rifle/carbine, when using them in one hand or not?

if not: What can you acntually do with the second hand?

#2 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'd say no, mostly as a carbine still uses Ranged (Heavy) to attack with a rifle or carbine at Short Range.

Dual-wielding is offset by the fact that qualifying weapons tend to have a much lower damage output than two-handed rifles, with heavy blaster pistols (Damage 7) coming the closest to the default damage value of a rifle or carbine.

As for what to do with the second hand, holding a comlink or glowrod isn't a bad idea.  Also handy if you need to drag/carry a badly injured ally out of the line of fire and into cover.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#3 JaWaMike

JaWaMike

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Dual wielding Superior Heavy Blaster Pistols with Blaster Actuating Modules (modded +2dmg/+2pierce)

11 base damage, 2 pierce, automatic advantage generated so only one is needed to trigger the second shot.

Things get ugly fast for whoever they are pointed at.

2xCarbines would be ridiculous.

#4 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't allow it. Maybe as a one-off thing, one of the players pulling a crowning moment of awesome while facing down a major villain, sure. But if anyone tried to make it a regular thing, I'd crack down on it hard.

#5 syrath

syrath

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Although a carbine could be used one handed, for balance reasons (in more ways than one) I would rule no. A carbine is quite hard to hold one handed, it is possible but Id juat rule it too hard to aim when you are holding 2. They have much heavier barrels.

Edited by syrath, 07 September 2013 - 04:30 AM.

Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put one into a fruit salad

#6 Major Mouse

Major Mouse

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

In a ultra cinematic game I would allow a Rifle or Carbine dual wielding in order to achieve the famous "Rambo" style. for a slightly less but still cinematic feeling I would add the Cumbersome (3) to those weapons when dual wielding them, thus allowing strong characters (4-5 Brawn) a more difficult but yet possible ranged attack roll.

Never tell me the odds!

#7 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

FWIW it looks to me like the rule is specifically suggesting you can fire a stormtrooper blaster one handed, as people do on a number of occasions in the movies. I don't think it intends to suggest you fire all blaster rifles or carbines one handed.

This thing:-

luke-skywalker-star-wars-chronicles-prom

Edited by ErikB, 08 September 2013 - 08:03 AM.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#8 gwek

gwek

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I respectfully disagree with the majority here.

EotE is a game of "Yes and..." and "Yes but..." rather than "No." I would allow a PC to do it as often as they wanted. But would add copious amounts of setback dice and possibly upgrade the difficulty. Sure. you CAN hold the weapons one handed, but I'm pretty sure using them effectively is going to be close to impossible.

Although it's melee rather than firearms (because I suspect more players have handled a shovel than a gun): I could easily use a large shovel as a weapon two-handed. I could, in a pinch, fight with a shovel using a single hand, but my effectiveness would be reduced. Using two shovels, one in each hand? The idea makes my head hurt.

#9 syrath

syrath

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

You make a good point.

Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put one into a fruit salad

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS