Stargate - Conversion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

As I mentioned in the Powered by thread, I have started to make a conversion using both Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. I have already done an initial stab at species creation, but I need to get the AOR beta as I need access to some of the new careers. Once I have gotten it to a minimum level of readiness I will post it.

However, I could use peoples thoughts on an alternative set of stun rules as the RAW will not work for Stargate. Especially with Zat guns.

I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts.

Eldath

#2 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hmm...perhaps keep the rules the same, but add a new quality.

Zat - Deals Strain to target equal to the Damage that would have been inflicted on the first strike.  The second strike will inflict Damage as normal.

You will have to decide if the third strike auto disintegrates or not.

• Josep Maria likes this

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#3 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

That is similar to one of the thoughts I had been mulling over. I was planning on treating Zat guns as they are in the programs otherwise there is no point. My thought was to have Zat be a new gear quality but had not nailed down the specifics. One thought I did have was to have the second hit require a destiny point spent by the ref in order to cause death, and the third shot would then disintergrate the body. Personally I think that the second shot is more of an issue.

I also wanted to rework the stun rules for Wraith stunners and Lantean/Satedan weapons as I don't remember there being many occasions when someone was hit by a stun weapon and was not immediately rendered unconscious.

Eldath

#4 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Zats always stunned on first shot, the 2nd shot always killed.  There was no partial stun or injury.  That translates oddly into a game.

Does it just automatically work, or do you assign damage.  If you do it damage based, and the first shot doesn't do enough strain to knock someone out, does the 2nd shot still kill, or just add strain.

I suppose you could have a weapon that deals strain damage first.  If no strain remains, it goes to damage.  1 shots easy stuff, takes more than 1 shot to strain more heroic characters, adversaries and the like.

I'd ditch the 3rd shot disintegration stuff.  That always seemed campy and was retconned out of the mythos.

I'd limit the range to close.  It was never used at longer ranges.

Don't forget that staff weapons were dangerous, but highly inaccurate.  The same could be said for the zats.  Staffs also suffered from short range, but not as much as zats.

#5 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Zats always stunned on first shot, the 2nd shot always killed. There was no partial stun or injury. That translates oddly into a game.

Does it just automatically work, or do you assign damage. If you do it damage based, and the first shot doesn't do enough strain to knock someone out, does the 2nd shot still kill, or just add strain.

I suppose you could have a weapon that deals strain damage first. If no strain remains, it goes to damage. 1 shots easy stuff, takes more than 1 shot to strain more heroic characters, adversaries and the like.

I'd ditch the 3rd shot disintegration stuff. That always seemed campy and was retconned out of the mythos.

I'd limit the range to close. It was never used at longer ranges.

Don't forget that staff weapons were dangerous, but highly inaccurate. The same could be said for the zats. Staffs also suffered from short range, but not as much as zats.

It is not just Zat guns which almost always stun on first shot, Wraith stunners, the stun setting on Lantean hand weapons, even stun setting on star wars blasters is usually a one shot deal. You are incorrect when you say that there was no partial though, although I do realise it was plot reliant, Danial Jackson was once rendered temporarily incapable of action but not unconscious and was able to get back up and carry on shortly after. I had not noticed the removal of the third shot though, thanks for the heads-up. Though, as I said above I think the second shot killing is more of an issue.

Interestingly, the Alderac Games D20 version kept all three shots. Rangewise, Since Short range is up to a few metres and Medium range is up to several dozen metres, I think Medium range is more like it, same with Staff Weapons.

I guess my main issue still remains that stun weapons in general don't function as in the original media, I understand the limitations of game balance and not wanting them to be too powerful but it kind of dispels some of the feel if a marine can be shot with a Wraith stunner and stay upright.

One of my thoughts involved stun weapons doing strain equal to their damage rating but also having the Stun quality, so if enough advantage is rolled the target takes the base damage plus one per extra success and then the stun rating on top. This would mean it isn't automatic but is a more accurate model of the program. Another option would be on a critical the target is rendered unconscious, though this isn't much different from the first option. The last option I can think of is spending a Triumph to automatically stun the target.

I am enjoying hearing your thoughts, this is all helping. I look forward to more.

Eldath

Edited by eldath, 05 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#6 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Having looked a bit more into it, I think I will go with a modification of FangGrips idea and my own.

Altered Gear Quality: Stun

Any weapon with this quality inflicts the weapons base damage in Strain. In addition the weapon may, if the quality is activated, inflict the Stun rating as additional Strain damage. This costs two advantage. Stun weapons specifically ignore a targets soak unless the target has a bonus to their soak from some form of personal energy shielding, in which case only the soak provided by the energy shielding is counted. In the case of the Zat'nik'tel weapon only; if the target is shot a second time following their having been rendered unconscious with the Zat gun in the same encounter, the attacker may spend a destiny point in order to kill the target. Note: most creatures whose weapons inflict stun do so for a reason, as a result the GM is not able to use this mechanic without a compelling reason.

A varient of this is the Stun Setting which allows a weapon to be switched to stun with a free action, the stun setting has a rating and functions as described above. The only real difference being that the weapon may be used in either lethal or stun settings.

Eldath

Edited by eldath, 06 September 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#7 megruder79

megruder79

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'm very interested to see the final conversion. My boyfriend and I are not huge fans of Star Wars, but we really like the dice mechanic and overall game system of EotE. So, we're looking for other sci-fi conversions.

#8 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well, apart from the fact that I need to get a hold of Age of Rebellion for the Duty mechanic and certain careers, things seem to be going well. I have just finished a test game with two friends of mine, we didn't have combat but that is mainly due to the parties decisions. Having discovered a potential planetary defence computer capable of taking control of electronic devices (including combat MALP's), they managed to contact it and convince it they were not enemies. Even managing to diffuse the situation regarding the Wraith who arrived toward the end of their mission (I ran a game based on events following the Legacy series of Stargate Atlantis books in which a tentative diplomatioc situation exists).

Eldath

#9 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Here is the primary draft of the character sheet, I will update as and when things change.

Updated: I have made a few minor alterations. Currently I am leaving it as a .Docx, please pm me if you would like a PDF or .doc version.

https://www.dropbox....cter Sheet.docx

Note: I have just noticed that the embedded font seems to have been lost, I will try converting the docx to pdf, that should keep the font I wanted.

Here is the PDF version

https://www.dropbox....acter Sheet.pdf

Edited by eldath, 11 October 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#10 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

I finally have a copy of AoR on its way, so once that turns up I can finesse certain parts of the conversion, specifically Duty with the SGC and certain specializations which may fit better than the EoE versions. My one concern at the moments is the player species write ups I have done, so when I do post it please bear in mind this will be my first stab at species creation.

Additionally, although I did consider statting out starships, I have decided at least for now to leave that for perhaps a second document specifically for vehicle combat (any volunteers would be welcome  ;) )

E

Edited by eldath, 04 October 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#11 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well, we are testing the conversion at the moment, no-one has chosen to play a non human so that still needs looking at. Once we have finished this play test I will post the PDF on here.

Eldath

#12 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Well, it has taken me a few months but here is the final draft of Stargate Edge.

https://www.dropbox....te Edge Doc.pdf

Included here are an introductory adventure

https://www.dropbox....n profundis.pdf

and the final version of the character sheet

https://www.dropbox....acter Sheet.pdf

Please feel free to come back to me with comments and requests, this is my first attempt at a conversion so do bear with me. My two main concerns are that the Tok'ra and the Asgard species might be a little o.p. (we did playtest the Tok'ra and it seemed ok), and the rewards for ranking up (this was based on the Duty mechanic in the Age of Rebellion) this might need a little work. I hope you enjoy. 

Eldath

Edited by eldath, 15 January 2014 - 09:06 AM.

• Ferryman and Jegergryte like this

#13 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Ok, it has been more than two months since I posted the conversion. Has anyone played it, if so what did you think and what would you change? Hopefully not much lol  :P

Eldath

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS