Callidus and C'tan phase sword

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grissom

grissom

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

How can the C'tan phase sword of a Callidus work?

What Special Qualities and Damage?

#2 phantomoftruth

phantomoftruth

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

I don't recall it being written up anywhere, so House-rule it.

C'tan Phase: ignore Armor and Shields.

Otherwise, it's just a Best Quality Sword. 

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't think there is ever any stats listed anywhere for the C'tan Phase Sword, but given how it's described, it would have ridiculous properties.

I would make it something along the lines of:

C'tan Phase Sword, 1d10+12 Rending, Pen 14.
Special: Balanced, Flexible, Felling (8), Gauss, Power Field, Proven (8), Razor Sharp, Tearing.
Ignores all Armour, Cover and Energy Shields. Power Field works even against the Warp and Power Field Weapon Qualities as well as Natural Weapons. Weapon is lost if used against Necrons, instead healing the targeted Necron for 1d5 Wounds.

I base this entirely of how the C'tan Phase Sword is described, and even so, I think the damage might be a bit low. Might want to bump that up to 2d10. Yes, this is how crazy these swords sounds to me.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 grissom

grissom

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

In the Black Crusade Tome of Fate there is the description of the following Necron Melee Weapon:

Hyperphase Sword: 1d10+17 E Pen 6 Balanced, Powerfield

But i think that a C'tan Sword simply ignores Armour and Toughness

#5 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

In the Black Crusade Tome of Fate there is the description of the following Necron Melee Weapon:

Hyperphase Sword: 1d10+17 E Pen 6 Balanced, Powerfield

But i think that a C'tan Sword simply ignores Armour and Toughness

Specifically, a C'tan Phase Sword also ignores power fields, and thus would not be able to be parried, either. It's why I added Flexible, amongst other things. And if used to Parry, it should be able to easily break the opponent's weapon, which is why I added Power Field. Felling makes it ignore Unnatural Toughness, Razor Sharp because it seems to be able to cut through anything, etc, etc.

I didn't throw those stats together for no reason. It is really how ridiculously powerful the weapon reads to me.

The Hyperphase Sword really should be more powerful, too, imo, since it's likely made out of Necrodermis as well.

Edit: Sheeesh. A Hyperphase Sword vibrates between dimensions, and all it gets is Pen 6, Balanced Power Field?

Edited by Fgdsfg, 06 September 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#6 Ansalagon

Ansalagon

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Well, i would gaze at necron warscythe (as it is supposed to ignore armor and shields, too) however (unfortunately) warscythes don't do that in game terms...

Warscythe:

damage 2d10+6 damage, Pen: 9, Special: unwieldy, Felling [2], powerfield

I would say something like:

1d10+8 Pen: 9, Special: Felling [2], powerfield, balanced,

Though i agree that you could houserule that it ignore powerfields...

I don't think there is ever any stats listed anywhere for the C'tan Phase Sword, but given how it's described, it would have ridiculous properties.

Special: Balanced, Flexible, Felling (8), Gauss, Power Field, Proven (8), Razor Sharp, Tearing.
Ignores all Armour, Cover and Energy Shields. Power Field works even against the Warp and Power Field Weapon Qualities as well as Natural Weapons. Weapon is lost if used against Necrons, instead healing the targeted Necron for 1d5 Wounds.

I base this entirely of how the C'tan Phase Sword is described, and even so, I think the damage might be a bit low. Might want to bump that up to 2d10. Yes, this is how crazy these swords sounds to me.

It does seem a little overkill IMHO... I pretty much outdo any weapon that marines (or even the necrons have). I have always seen it as an assasins weapons, where as a warscythe is combat weapon intended for facing down several heavily armed and armord foes (or even a tank) on the battlefield.

That said i DO agree that it should be pretty badass...

#7 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Well, i would gaze at necron warscythe (as it is supposed to ignore armor and shields, too) however (unfortunately) warscythes don't do that in game terms...

Warscythe:

damage 2d10+6 damage, Pen: 9, Special: unwieldy, Felling [2], powerfield

I would say something like:

1d10+8 Pen: 9, Special: Felling [2], powerfield, balanced,

Though i agree that you could houserule that it ignore powerfields...

It does seem a little overkill IMHO... I pretty much outdo any weapon that marines (or even the necrons have). I have always seen it as an assasins weapons, where as a warscythe is combat weapon intended for facing down several heavily armed and armord foes (or even a tank) on the battlefield.

That said i DO agree that it should be pretty badass...

Well.. that's because it's kinda supposed to. I think it's complete overkill too, but it's an overkill weapon. I just wrote it based on an interpretation of fluff, relative to how other more basic weapons were statted.

That said, sometimes fluff interpretation doesn't play well with the stats of the game.

I mean, there's probably a bunch of necron weapons that should have the same stats, considering that they can bisect fully armoured opponents, but when all a Hyperphase Sword gets is Pen 6, Balanced, Power Field, I get a severe case of the wuts.

Real men earn their fun

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hyperphase sword

All it is in 40k terms is a power sword, after all. A 'power sword' is supposed to be sheathed in a power field that rips atoms to pieces, so 'just a power field' is a relative term. Narratively, it is essentially a lightsaber with a piece of razor-sharp steel at the centre just for extra giggles.

Also, 1D10+17, even assuming a wielder with unnatural strength making up part of that, is not exactly something you can easily ignore, and is more than capable of cutting victims in half.

C'tan Phase Blade

Well, they took out the 'ignore field saves' ability in favour of the instant death rule, but that's okay because after N versions of the same weapon with the same properties, the background is pretty well established - I'm assuming we're after the 'classic' phase sword?

Essentially, the core property of a phase blade is that 'armour energy' fields don't stop it. However, there's no suggestion that it does more organic damage than a blade of the same size; people don't burn or explode or get shredded when stabbed, the narrative effect we've seen when one is used in a short story or bit of background is that you just have a blade lodged neatly through your heart and a confused expression that your rosarius and ceramite chest plate didn't slow it down.

You'll note that unlike a neuro-gauntlet, or warscythe, or other such melee shenannigans, it doesn't actually increase the wielders chance of wounding a foe (no rerolls or strength bonus), only a garuantee that defences won't turn an accurate killing strike.

It should, therefore, not be an especially great weapon for killing a mutant monstrosity or ork warboss with; for all that it goes through the hide without slowing down, it'd be like attacking a tank with an infinitely sharp can-opener; yes every blow does damage but 'damaged' is not the same as 'killed'. For that reason I'd hesitate to give it felling, tearing, proven, or an especially high damage roll. Better than a basic sword, maybe, but not massively so.

I like the idea of 'flexible' but flexible and power fields are an either-or proposition; if it passes straight through other blades without ever actually touching them (which seems a characterful approach and makes a change to yet another variation on power weapons), it's not going to cut them in half. Flexible is a very good suggestion and I'd support it. I'm not sure I recall ever reading a phase sword cut a power sword in half; but happy to be told I'm wrong.

Also, I think Flexible mechanically prevents you from parrying anyway? It's not an especially big deal for a Callidus thanks to Temple Assassin and their faintly ridiculous Dodge skill.

Equally, Natural Weapons are not immune to power fields per se; it's just assumed that any creature with the Natural Weapons trait has a large number of talons/teeth/claws/tentacles/other and slicing off one or two won't make a massive difference to its fighting power (think the number of bladed appendages a chaos spawn has), or else really, really big claws that you can happily take a foot of the end of one without stopping it being a lethal weapon (think a carnifex' scything talons). In neither case does the Phase sword strike me as inherently more capable of stopping these than any other 'cut your weapon in two' type blade.

As to the other key property, essentially Warp Weapon (yes, I know it's not warp based but the mechanic is correct) ignores armour completely (hence making Razor Sharp and a specific Pen value unnecessary) and the ability to ignore fields and psychic powers which provide fields or AP (not, however, those which directly increase toughness. If a psychic power will keep you alive with your lungs bisected, then more power to you, and I'll be leaving now).

Edited by Magnus Grendel, 25 September 2013 - 12:51 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS