Combat too slow

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Frankly it seems to me like something strange is going on here. A starting character (that is not an Ogryn) should have a damage soak of 2 or 3 in flak armour (let's say 3) with an AP of 4. A lasgun should get an average of 1.5 Wounds a shot through -- a maximum of 6.More if fired on overcharge/overload. When I GMd Final Testament I had two characters burning fate points just in the initial combat.

#22 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

the characters all have armor that ranges from 4-6, their TB are all between 3-6. This means that they can take between 7 and 12 damage without flinching. the weakest of them has damage reduction of 8 which makes it hard for me to really threaten them with ordinary grunts with lasguns.

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#23 Nightcloak

Nightcloak

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

heavy stubbers did the trick at the onset of the campaign i GMed
not to powerful and dont forget to use suppressive fire
i usually also let every normal enemy trooper shot on the highest setting of their lasguns on anything wearing armour
the troopers (even the not so well trained dominate troopers) know that the lasgun is a damn flashlight unless you turn it to max

as a sidenote, i had major problem to inflict melee dmg to my playergroup with normal severantroopers

i houseruled the bayonet to deal with that, a knife attached to a basic gun, dealing 1d10 instead of 1d5 solved that beautifully

#24 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

If you're having trouble threatening them, then as noted, start using flashlights on overcharge - 1D10+3 Pen- is not threatening to a T4 guy in carapace.

1D10+4 Pen1 is going to mess up the weaker targets (net roll D10-2 to D10-7)

and 1D10+5 Pen2 is dangerous even to the tough guys (net roll D10 to D10-5)

If they're visibly in carapace plate, then using overcharged las-shots is quite justifiable.

Plus, if it really, really, starts to get on your nerves, throw in a tank. Even a chimera is enough to have most infantry units running like hell, and (unlike a main battle tank) it's unlikely to wipe the lot of them out in a single shooting phase.

#25 LuciusT

LuciusT

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

the characters all have armor that ranges from 4-6, their TB are all between 3-6. This means that they can take between 7 and 12 damage without flinching. the weakest of them has damage reduction of 8 which makes it hard for me to really threaten them with ordinary grunts with lasguns.

Well, here's the thing: They chose to make these characters and you let them. This tells me that they wanted characters who could wade through light to moderate enemy fire without being hurt. That's the game they wanted to play and, knowingly or not, you agreed to it by allowing those characters.

Now, if this is a problem in terms of everyone's enjoyment of the game (yours included) than as a group you need to discuss this issue. Maybe they just like wading through enemies, shrugging off attacks. If so, you need to consider how that effects your enjoyment of the game and maybe tell them that you would prefer a game that challenges them more. If everyone agrees to a more challenging game, then things needs to change. Maybe they need to drop the carapace armor, maybe you need to start a new game with less invulnerable characters or maybe you just need to ramp up the threat level of the enemies. 

If they agree that they would like more challenging combats and they don't want to give up their characters and gear, then you have their approval to include tougher weapons. 

The issue here isn't game mechanics. The issue is the social contract between players and GM, and that is a discussion that every group needs to have for itself.

#26 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well then your problem is that you have freakishly powerful characters with extremely good equipment that the adventure was not designed for. :)

For some reason I was under the impression that this was a starting campaign with starting characters. It's impossible for a starting character to have a 6 TB if it's not an ogryn.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 12 September 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#27 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Well then your problem is that you have freakishly powerful characters with extremely good equipment that the adventure was not designed for. :)

For some reason I was under the impression that this was a starting campaign with starting characters. It's impossible for a starting character to have a 6 TB if it's not an ogryn.

Additionally; Severyn Dominate troops will have support weapons themselves! I doubt very much that your troops are going to just shrug off hits from a Heavy bolter! (1d10+8, pen 5) nor will they much like being set on fire with a flamer! :P Remember: The Severyn dominate are essentially IG troops and have the same basic equipment as their counterparts! Of course if your players are REALLY annoying you, Let them be the point squad when enemy Chaos Space Marines come calling!( Enemies of the Imperium pg 114.) If your players are as BA as you say, they have no business going against "standard" mooks anyway! The old saying goes: To whom much is given, much is expected! There is also the very real fear factor if the players encampment is attacked at night by, well, anything! Carapace armor is worn much like medieval plate and doesn't just put itself on when a character is sleeping! :ph34r: (Figure about 1 minute to throw it on in a hurry but that's 10 rounds!)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS