Week 4 Update

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Huckelbery

Tim Huckelbery

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hey all, just wanted to let you all know we're not having a Week 4 update this week. Lead designer Andy just got back from PAX, and we wanted to do more work on it.  

#2 cps

cps

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

What a debacle!

• MaliciousOnion likes this

#3 Drfunk91

Drfunk91

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bit strong cps, people complained about the week 2 update for being half assed because of gencon or whatever it was, and now that they're admitting they're taking the time to actually make the update worth it because of PAX you call it a debacle? No pleasing some people i swear.

• Soloman likes this

#4 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Any word on whether it will simply be delayed a few days or will it be another whole week?

#5 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I think we can all be fine with this, and at least appreciate the heads up.

Either way the questions and things we were asked to focus on with the previous update have spawned massive, massive threads, with lots of numbers and explanations and suggestions free for you to use, and it's probably worth the extra few days to take it all in. Armory and  Psychic Powers were two places that needed the most work and rebalancing right now anyways.

So long as the extra time gets us a better product [whether because you actually got to sleep in for a day or two or because you spent an extra six days outright studying the results of your focus questions] right? Hopefully PAX was interesting.

#6 kingcom

kingcom

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Bit strong cps, people complained about the week 2 update for being half assed because of gencon or whatever it was, and now that they're admitting they're taking the time to actually make the update worth it because of PAX you call it a debacle? No pleasing some people i swear.

I think he was making a joke...

#7 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

If the ti e is used to improve, it is well spent.

If it was wasted by drinking Caipirinhas - well... * bam bam*

Should we either way start discussing the next topic, probably combat, now ?

Problem is, the deadline currently ends next week, doesnt it ?

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#8 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

If they want more time to work on the armoury/psychic power topic then presumably continuing to discuss it or at least holding off on the next would be more helpful than forging ahead out of context with the upcoming update. 

#9 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

Should we either way start discussing the next topic, probably combat, now ?

Problem is, the deadline currently ends next week, doesnt it ?

Can we even really touch the finer details of combat until the things we use in it [armory/psy-powers] have been fixed up, AP system and alls?

I can see addressing the major obvious stuff, but the rest will need to work with what's currently a rather... all over the place set of tools.

#10 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Will the deadline of next wednesday be postponed then ?

I mean, it would be for the greater good ;)

#11 seanpp

seanpp

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

I thought FFG announcing weekly updates was pretty aggressive in the first place.  I was surprised and liked the idea, but wondered how realistic it was.  On the other hand, given how short this public Beta was, weekly updates perhaps was needed.

Skipping this week's update, in and of itself, is not a big deal and, as already expressed, probably a good idea if it wasn't ready.

However, I think the reasonable concern of fans like myself and everyone else on this thread (and forum) is that this is the 2nd skipped week in a short public beta period (acknowledging that the game was in private beta before this) that is on the cusp of ending.  The beta ends on September 11th (http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=243&esem=1), which you'll notice is next Wednesday, the date of the next apparent update!

FFG cancelling about 1/3 of the updates in the ~6 week public Beta is a reasonable concern.

Personally, I really like what they've done with much of the 2nd Edition - and yet, there is still much to be discussed.  When I saw the public beta was only six weeks I was afraid it would feel rushed.  Unfortunately, that is the case...and FFG cancelling this update does serve to exacerbate that feeling.

#12 Drfunk91

Drfunk91

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

In fairness they haven't actually SAID how long a wait it would be have they? Hell they could be hovering over a "post" button right now.

#13 seanpp

seanpp

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

In fairness they haven't actually SAID how long a wait it would be have they? Hell they could be hovering over a "post" button right now.

This thread began with Tim Huckelbery's message:

Hey all, just wanted to let you all know we're not having a Week 4 update this week. Lead designer Andy just got back from PAX, and we wanted to do more work on it.  

It's confirmed that there will be no update this week.

#14 Drfunk91

Drfunk91

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

This thread began with Tim Huckelbery's message:

It's confirmed that there will be no update this week.

Oops forgot about that >.> In my defense i'v had about 4 hours sleep :P

#15 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Maybe an update on monday would be a good thing and enhancing the beta for the whole next week to give additional feedback on the combat section until friday would be a good idea.

#16 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm a little worried about there possibly not being a week for the narrative chapter, which, in my opinion has been most heavily overlooked by most people.

#17 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

"Narrative" has become my second most hated word these weeks - alongside with "abstract"

#18 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Worst for me is always any implying that "it's fine because you can just houserule it". If things need fixing, they weren't fine.

#19 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yeah - I dont really want to create my own supplement, called Gaunts House Rules...

#20 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

I always end up creating a running document that is just this for my campaigns, if only to keep the power gamers in line. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS