Cosmic Encounter FAQ being updated!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

5) The Butler wild flare. If player A hands the current encounter to player B, does player A have a second encounter if player B wins their encounter?

6) The Butler wild flare: any thoughts on the situation of player A handing the encounter over to player B, but player B drawing player A's colour during the destiny phase of the encounter? Clearly, player A cannot ally against themself, so assuming that player B's success gives player A a second encounter, this could lead to the rather odd situation of player A simultaneously winning and losing an encounter. Not exactly game-breaking, but definitely odd, and possibly best dealt with somehow.

In one of your sessions we too were uncertain how to interpret it. "After the encounter ends, play resumes from where it left off." is confusing. This interpretation makes a lot of sense to me: http://boardgamegeek...483/butler-wild

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 08 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#22 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

After reading an old rulebook a couple of timing questions came to my mind:

1) Does a Kicker multiply a card value before or after the effects of card modifying powers such as Calculator, GavitonMirror or Tripler?

2) Does a Kicker multiply a card value before or after the effects of flares such as Wild Calculator or Wild Gambler?

3) When flares such as Wild Calculator or Wild Gambler are played in an encounter with card modifying powers such as CalculatorGavitonMirror or Tripler which effect is resolved first? Does the standard timing rule apply? What if one of those flares is played by one of the aforementioned aliens?

Interesting side note: Tripler wild flare is special in this regard, it says: "before any other game effects are applied".

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 11 November 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#23 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Two small queries arising from Sunday's game:

1) The Observation Platform: the expression "after alliances are formed" could be interpreted as meaning (as we have always interpreted it) "after the alliance phase", but another literal interpretation could be "after an alliance phase in which at least one alliance has been formed" (an even more literal interpretation could even be "after an alliance phase in which at least two alliances have been formed", but I'd guess that's almost certainly not what was meant). Is the idea that the effect can be used whenever an encounter occurs in which that player is not involved, or only when other alliances are actually formed?

2) The Citadel: can its power be used more than once a turn if multiple Destiny cards are drawn (for example when a player draws their own colour and decides to redraw)? Or, again, should this instead be interpreted as "at the end of the destiny phase" (which is how we've been playing it)?

I wonder if you have a plan as to when you'll be updating the FAQ? It seems like there are actually quite a lot of points for clarification, so maybe publishing an actual "upgrade pack" to replace some of the cards with clarified text might be a good idea?

#24 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

1) Are the the nine flare cards Chrysalis "discards" after using its power placed on the discard pile or removed from the game? (more or less a rhetorical question aimed at errata for Chrysalis)

2) When Spiff crash lands a ship, can Fungus capture it? Fungus' power explicitly says: "game effects that would save ships from the warp, such as Zombie's or Healer's power, cannot prevent this" and Spiff's power seems to be such an effect.

3) FAQ 1.0 establishes that Shadow uses it's power for each destiny card drawn even if the offense draws more than one. Just to make sure: does this apply to Disease and Poison, too?

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 01 December 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#25 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

From Cosmic Incursion rulebook: "Additionally, if a rift card is taken from a player’s hand (but not discarded), either as compensation or as the result of another game effect, the rift detonates..." A more detailed description what exactly the other game effects are would be helpful, most interestingly:

1) When Trader exchanges hands, do the rifts of his new hand detonate?

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 28 November 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#26 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

One query from tonight's games, which feels like a missing piece of text from a race card: when the Siren is the offense, as their power is only limited to "Not Defense", presumably this means that they can choose to use their power to make themselves the defense? This not only feels thematically "wrong" (why would the siren lure their own kind to their death?), but also raises the question of who now becomes the new offense? I can't help but feel that the power feels like it should be limited to "Not Main Player", but as it isn't, how is this meant to be dealt with? Obviously the Siren can't be both the offense and defense, so does the player whose colour was drawn in the destiny phase become the offense? Nothing on the card seems to explain this at all, unless perhaps I'm just being really stupid and missing something obvious! :P

#27 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Smooth session, only one question came up tonight:

1) If Fungus captured Vacuum's ships and this stack is sent to the warp, can Vacuum use his power?

#28 moviemakinggod

moviemakinggod

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

One query from tonight's games, which feels like a missing piece of text from a race card: when the Siren is the offense, as their power is only limited to "Not Defense", presumably this means that they can choose to use their power to make themselves the defense? This not only feels thematically "wrong" (why would the siren lure their own kind to their death?), but also raises the question of who now becomes the new offense? I can't help but feel that the power feels like it should be limited to "Not Main Player", but as it isn't, how is this meant to be dealt with? Obviously the Siren can't be both the offense and defense, so does the player whose colour was drawn in the destiny phase become the offense? Nothing on the card seems to explain this at all, unless perhaps I'm just being really stupid and missing something obvious! :P

Hello rjb, thanks for all your questions! Are you referring to the Siren alien power sheet? Mine says "Not Main Player."

Jonathan Bove
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

#29 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hello rjb, thanks for all your questions! Are you referring to the Siren alien power sheet? Mine says "Not Main Player."

Um... I'm afraid that mine very definitely doesn't. :P

Printing error?

Photo0127.jpg

#30 moviemakinggod

moviemakinggod

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

You know what. When I said my copy said otherwise, I was referring to a reference image I found online. My physical copy also says "Not Defense." I will do some digging and get back to you! 

Edit: Alright I did some digging. It seems it may have been fixed on a reprint of the expansion. Which means its prime FAQ material. Thank you!

Jonathan Bove
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

#31 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

From Cosmic Incursion rulebook: "Additionally, if a rift card is taken from a player’s hand (but not discarded), either as compensation or as the result of another game effect, the rift detonates..." A more detailed description what exactly the other game effects are would be helpful, most interestingly:

And also more generally: do rifts detonate if passed as part of a successful negotiation? That is to say, if I agree to swap cards with another player after both playing Negotiate encounter cards (or as part of a Galactic Council hazard etc.), can I sneakily pass them a few rifts to destroy their fleet?

Edited by rjb, 16 December 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#32 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

1) What happens if you use Leviathan Wild flare and choose one of Pygmy's planets to be exchanged? Does the planet that enters Pygmy's home system become a Pygmy planet resulting in the evacuation of the surplus ships and does the leaving planet lose its ship limit? You could argue the answer is No, because Pygmy's power description says: "there can never be more than four ships on any of your planets", but not "home planets" and a planet changing its size is hard to imagine.

2) Same question as above: What happens when The Claw steals one of Pygmy's planets.

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 19 December 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#33 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

And also more generally: do rifts detonate if passed as part of a successful negotiation? That is to say, if I agree to swap cards with another player after both playing Negotiate encounter cards (or as part of a Galactic Council hazard etc.), can I sneakily pass them a few rifts to destroy their fleet?

I assume that rifts you give away do not explode since "giving" is not the same as "taking". If it were the same, playing Philanthropist would be even more powerful than it is already. Exchanging hands is somewhat a special case, therefor I am interested in a ruling on Trader the most.

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 13 December 2013 - 07:57 PM.

• rjb likes this

#34 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I assume that rifts you give away do not explode since "giving" is not the same as "taking". If it were the same, playing Philanthropist would be even more powerful than it is already. Exchanging hands is somewhat a special case, therefor I am interested in a ruling on Trader the most.

That's certainly a possible interpretation, but of course the receiving player is still "taking" the given cards, and it might make just as much sense to rule a thematic reason for rifts' effects: they're inherently unstable, so their collapse is triggered by the move from one hand to another, rather than specifically as a result of the intent behind their transfer.

In that case, I'd imagine that the effect on gameplay would be to make players far more wary about accepting reward-backed cards in a negotiation, or indeed allowing the cards to be chosen by the "giving" player at all - we already often have negotiations in which a player will specifically ask for cards to be offered at random from the other player's hand (rather than by the "giving" player's choice), so this wouldn't change a great deal in that respect.

Plus there's of course a point about whether it might over-complicate rulings to define a distinction between "being given" and "taking", given the number of ways in which cards can change hands in the game?

As for the Philanthropist, yes, it would become more powerful if ruled this way - but this would be entirely dependent on the player having rifts in their hand (just as the Loser is far more powerful with a hand of Negotiates, etc.), which just gives the other players more to consider when inviting that player as a defensive ally (which is already the case for plenty of other races anyway!)

In any case, I do think the broader question is more about the rifts themselves in any situation, rather than specifically for the Trader, as the word "take" could be interpreted in several different ways in different situations for quite a few existing racial powers and game effects.

Personally, I think I prefer the idea of clarifying/redefining rifts as detonating whenever changing hands, as I think this avoids a lot of potential confusion as to what counts as "taking" as opposed to "receiving" - and of course it's always fun to offer players as many interesting ways to backstab or sabotage each other as possible! ;)

Edited by rjb, 19 December 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#35 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Whoever compiles the list of questions should definitely study this thread, it lists and tries to answer about a dozen of important and tricky ones: http://boardgamegeek...osmic-encounter

Saves me the time to repeat them here. For me the most intriguing are those regarding the flare usage of Super Cyro, Super Human and Super Vulch. Three of the other questions, those about Temporal Anomaly, The Invader's extra encounter and Wild Sadist flare were asked here by rjb, too.

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 16 December 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#36 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Still playing through all aliens, two related questions came up tonight:

1) If both main players reveal identical attack cards, does The Claw choose from whom it steals the planet, if they are identical to the card on its sheet? (Probably, what other options are there?)

2) If one main player reveals an attack and the other a Morph card, does The Claw choose from whom it steals the planet, if the attack card is identical to the card on its sheet?

#37 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

3) Reborn's description says: "you may use this power to draw a card.", but unlike Remora omits "from THE deck". Was this done intentionally to allow Reborn to draw from the Rewards deck or is it an oversight? (I think it would be overpowered.)

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 19 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#38 rjb

rjb

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

One additional question raised during one of tonight's games:

1) When a card's effects are triggered by a player winning or losing an encounter by a certain amount, some cards (such as the Spiff) specify that the effect only trigger if both players play Attack cards; but for those which don't specify this, do these effects trigger if a player loses by playing a Negotiate card? That is to say, if a player plays a Negotiate and their adversary plays and Attack 12, does the former player lose by 12 points as if they had played a 0 for the purposes of these effects, or does the automatic win not count as having an attack value, and therefore not trigger these cards? (The latter method is how we chose to interpret this, as it seems less likely to create ambiguities, and is consistent with the deliberate wording of cards like the Spiff power which do specify.)

#39 Big J Money

Big J Money

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Some clarifications about Trader.

The power says "before encounter cards are selected"

1) Can the trader announce a Kicker and then trade hands?

2) After Chronos uses its power, the encounter goes back to the planning phase and encounter cards are chosen again.  Can the trader then choose to trade hands, and if so, does the "set aside card" count as part of the trader's hand?

#2 Example: Chronos plays an attack 14 and the Trader plays an attack 23 (the Trader chose not to switch hands).  Chronos freezes the Trader's 20 and it is placed to the side.  Now it goes back to the planning phase again.  At this point, the Trader would like to switch hands.  The way we have ruled it is that the "set aside" card remains set aside and the trader swaps his or her current hand with the Chronos player.

3) More generically, if any power causes one or more main players to select an encounter card again, does this give the trader the opportunity to use its power? (Assuming Trader is a Main Player or using the Super)

4) Is the Trader Super flare considered to be in the player's hand when the hand is traded, thus losing the super just by using it once?  It seems like not since it is considered in play, but this might deserve clarification.  

Thanks!

Edited by Big J Money, 28 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#40 CosmicBerlin

CosmicBerlin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

The follwing is quite confusing:

1) If Loser declares an Upset against Industrialist it seems that Loser almost always wins, because if he wins the encounter, he can "allow Industrialist to win" and then "after all other games effects are resolved" turn this loss into a win. Since Industrialist was allowed to win, he cannot add his attack card to his stack. Charming, but is this interpretation correct?

Edited by CosmicBerlin, 30 December 2013 - 10:25 AM.

• rjb likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS