• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 KnoxvilleBuckeye

KnoxvilleBuckeye

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

On a completely unrelated note:

Please stop using the acronym FF for Fantasy Flight Games...

Every time I read your posts I read it as Final Fantasy, and I hate Final Fantasy stuff.

:blink:

Back to your regularly scheduled arguments...

Thanks!

• FangGrip likes this

Michael Guenther

mguenther1272@gmail.com

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for thou art crunchy, and taste great with ketchup."

#142 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Wrong.

I did miss that TCBC. But my concern still stands, in that the way to get into the play test, is by paying for the book. And since the book is a play test book, it will be replaced in just a few months. As such, the utility of the book is low.

You don't need to purchase the book. You can find a buddy who did, and play in their game.

There's no control number on the book, no magic password bound in.

There's no check to even see if you have access to the book (tho' it may become obvious in some discussions).

Edited by aramis, 07 October 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#143 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Every time I read your posts I read it as Final Fantasy, and I hate Final Fantasy stuff.

Thanks!

I see Fantastic Four every time I see it but it won't stop me from shortening the name to FF. 

#144 angelicdoctor

angelicdoctor

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks!

I see Fantastic Four every time I see it but it won't stop me from shortening the name to FF. 

I think French Fries, myself.  It must be lunchtime...

“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G.K. Chesterton
"Modesty and unselfishness - these are the virtues which men praise - and pass by."  - Andre Maurois

#145 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

I thought about buying the Age of Rebellion Beta. However, my gaming group currently meets monthly, is not composed of Star Wars Geeks, and doesn't fully exploit the EotE rules. So no big hurry for me to get the new rules. I decided to wait for the final version.
  • Internutt likes this

#146 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

Thanks!

I thing Flying Frog - one of Fantasy Flight's competitors... But FFG brings up "Arleigh Burke Class Frigate"

I thought about buying the Age of Rebellion Beta. However, my gaming group currently meets monthly, is not composed of Star Wars Geeks, and doesn't fully exploit the EotE rules. So no big hurry for me to get the new rules. I decided to wait for the final version.

I'll note that it made my 10yo decide it was time to start RPGing with the adults...

Edited by aramis, 10 October 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#147 ShadowStar

ShadowStar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

The reason I don't buy the playtests is because I'm basically buying the Core rules three times.  The first time I buy it is EotE core rulebook.  Then I'll be turning around to pay full price for the full official release of Age of Rebellion, which is almost entirely the same rules with maybe a few twists, some new stat blocks, some new fluff, and then a handful of new character options that are almost like a splat book, except they are being encapsulated into a full core rulebook instead of a splatbook.  I don't need the 50 pages prior to the character section about dice mechanics again, but I'm paying for them.  I don't need the combat chapter and vehicle combat section of the vehicles chapter again, but I'm paying for them. 

The big twist this time is Duty, and from the sounds of it via interviews with devs, possibly some new vehicle mechanics for massive starships that, let's face it, most players have never used tactically in an actual SW RPG session ever.  Generally the sequence is: players are flying on their space transport, a big ship shows up, run away from/run past it.  I don't know of many games where the GM squares off with the players in a massive capital ship battle.  I'm sure they are out there, but it definitely doesn't appeal to my group to run capital ships, so it's a completely needless system for us.  The vehicle stats are handy to convey the magnitude of how powerful a big ship is and why you wouldn't want to take it on, but that's about it.  They are rarely practical, in my experience.

I realize the repurchasing of Core rules is not much of a complaint since I eventually am committed to getting these things and I somewhat like the system in general.  I'm just irked that I'm double and triple paying for essentially the same core mechanics.  I also have zero chance of convincing people in my group to buy all three of the books either.  In OCR, RCR, and Saga, everyone in my group bought a core rulebook.  Here, at this point, no one in my group is planning to buy any of the Core rulebooks because of how FFG has explained the releases, even if there are differences in prices.  My group is pretty much all content to let me buy them since I'm the GM.  SInce the system is mostly asbstract, they generally don't need the specialization charts for character development and we can handle it quickly before and after a session.  At least in my case, and I'm sure there are others like it, FFG is getting my money, but not a dime from my group and that's very different than old systems and really, that should be a concern for them.

Edited by ShadowStar, 10 October 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#148 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

How big is your group? Surely its easier to share multiple rulebooks then simply expecting the GM to buy everything.

At least tell your players that if they want new character options, like the Explorer supplement or AoR classes then they have to buy the books themselves.

Expecting a single person to buy everything is actually pretty insulting as GM, you are already devoting time to running the session.

Yes. Rules are repeated. But owning even one of the core rulebooks lets a player read it at home at their own pace and easily plan character progression.

Edited by Internutt, 10 October 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#149 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

The big twist this time is Duty, and from the sounds of it via interviews with devs, possibly some new vehicle mechanics for massive starships that, let's face it, most players have never used tactically in an actual SW RPG session ever.  Generally the sequence is: players are flying on their space transport, a big ship shows up, run away from/run past it.  I don't know of many games where the GM squares off with the players in a massive capital ship battle.  I'm sure they are out there, but it definitely doesn't appeal to my group to run capital ships, so it's a completely needless system for us.  The vehicle stats are handy to convey the magnitude of how powerful a big ship is and why you wouldn't want to take it on, but that's about it.  They are rarely practical, in my experience.

I'm one who has used big ships in WEG repeatedly - like, most every campaign I've run of WEG SW - because the scaling rules from WEG made it rather easy to cope with them.

And I'm realizing there's one thing missing in AoR - What the default Gunnery Pool should be for various "big ship crew qualities" - as in, a green crew is likely 3 green, and an elite is probably 3 yellow and a green. 

#150 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'm one who has used big ships in WEG repeatedly - like, most every campaign I've run of WEG SW - because the scaling rules from WEG made it rather easy to cope with them.

And I'm realizing there's one thing missing in AoR - What the default Gunnery Pool should be for various "big ship crew qualities" - as in, a green crew is likely 3 green, and an elite is probably 3 yellow and a green. 

I've used Agility 2 for the capital ships in my games along with Minion rules for batteries, typically in groups of 5 and the gunners always use their Maneuver to Aim. This gives these batteries 2 yellow, 2 green, and 1 blue as a base dice pool for a battery of 5 weapons.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS