• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Going back to the Burning Bridges text:

"Does Burning Bridges (Queen of Dragons F49) prevent a duplicate from being used to save a character?
Burning Bridges [the following sentence is specific to Burning Bridges] reads, "Players cannot trigger abilities on character, location, and attachment cards in play." It [again referring to Burning Bridges] is referring to triggered abilities printed on the cards. Because the saves granted by duplicates is a "gained" ability rather than a printed one  Burning Bridges does not have any effect on them."

You'll note that the only actual generic statement in the reply is the final sentence that I italicized. The rest of the statements are explicit to Burning Bridges. It's not a massive jump in logic to apply them generally, but when compared to the other generic responses it raises the question of why most of this response is explicitly referring to Burning Bridges. Compare it to the other one I quoted.

"If my character loses a military icon in the middle of a military challenge, is that character removed from the challenge?

No. Once a character is in a challenge, it can only be removed from that challenge by an effect that specifically removes the character from a challenge, an effect that removes the character from play, or by an effect that changes control of that character. Gaining or losing icons mid-challenge does not affect the attacking or defending status of that character."

The entirety of this response is generic except for the first sentence. It is asked in a generic way and is obviously implied to be generic. If the Burning Bridges question was meant to be truly generic and not specific to Burning Bridges, I would have expected the subject of the second sentence to be the phrase causing the issue, but instead they chose to refer to the card Burning Bridges instead of the phrase.

So the real question is, why is this ruling assumed to apply generically (or any ruling that clearly uses language specific to the card being inquired about) when the language used is specific to Burning Bridges?

Oversight by the editor is an acceptable answer, but is that the actual reason or is there some other reason that is explained in detail somewhere else within the rules?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS