What will Vader's stats look like?....

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

More information the better, bring on the stats!
  • Josep Maria likes this

#62 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

This topic gets me nostalgic for ErikB's 'Nazi fanboy' thread that ran to about 50 pages and mostly ended up discussing Red Dwarf... :(

• kaosoe likes this

#63 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

This topic gets me nostalgic for ErikB's 'Nazi fanboy' thread that ran to about 50 pages and mostly ended up discussing Red Dwarf... :(

Much as I don't ever want to see stats for the iconic NPCs, some folks do, and there's likely not much that you or I or anyone could say that would get them to change their minds.

In regards to WotC's Saga Edition books devoting page space to NPC write-ups of various iconic characters, both in the core rulebook and in sourcebooks, Rodney Thompson offered that for as much flak as they (WotC) might get for how such-and-such NPC's stats don't fully replicate what they've been depicted as doing in some source or another, they'd get a lot more flak for not including those stat blocks, as a number of players and GMs use those stat blocks as something of a baseline and/or measuring stick for their own PC and NPC builds.

Best thing is probably just skip the thread entirely if it's not to your interest.  There's a number of threads here that I've never read, and simply hit the "mark forum as read" icon at the top of the page once I've checked out the threads that do interest me.  That way, everything shows as having been read, and I've not wasted by time reading threads that don't interest me.

• Josep Maria likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#64 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hey Donovan, we the pro-stats aren't the bad guys eh? ha ha ha

No one has to change the others, are just different "points of view".

I have to say that a few of you convinced me a bit with the fact of character stats, but I yet want them, maybe now in a separate book with all official canon character stats.

In my (previews) game mechanics I use to ignore main chars stats in favor of a cool scene (sometimes stats where nerfed and other ones op) but I always liked to have a reference from the game developers that (probably) have an accurate vision than mine about the game mechanics and stats.

PS: You miss ErikB Maelora? ha ha ha :P

Edited by Josep Maria, 13 February 2014 - 02:31 AM.

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,901 Profile Views.

Let us Vote! http://catalanassemb...al-catalan-way/

http://gigafoto.assemblea.cat/

#65 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

I'm of both mindsets.

I can't wait to see the stats for Lando in the Jewel of Yavin. I would also love to see all the other movie characters stats.

On the other hand, my campaign is not an alternate reality campaign, and the players will never kill any of the main characters of the films, or in any other way interrupt the films continuity

I want the stats as a measuring stick and example of what that iconic NPC/character would be represented as in game. (I personally don't believe that the main characters should all be unobtainable in stats either. Chewbacca should not be stat'd as the toughest Wookiee in existence, etc.)

The PC's have encountered a few characters from the films already in my games. I just don't make an engagement with those NPC's required, and I keep the PC's away from major film story plots. I give the PC's major story plots of their own, so that they don't feel like the side characters in the plot.

Characters that no longer appear in the film story when they show up in my games timeline are fair game too. (Like the Bounty Hunters)

Edited by Grimmshade, 13 February 2014 - 02:54 AM.

• Josep Maria likes this

#66 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

I've found in the past that if you make the players and their characters feel suitably awesome, and keep them busy saving worlds, brokering intergalactic deals and saving damsels in distress (or Ewoks in drag... depends on your present level of alcohol consumption), then they don't feel the need to touch the main storyline, at least not until it's thrown in their face.

I mean, who wants to go calling out Vader when that pirate captain is still at large, the one who destroyed your freighter and killed your favourite chinchilla? Let Luke have the Dark Lord, because the pirate? He's mine.

• Josep Maria likes this

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS