What will Vader's stats look like?....

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Dare I ask it, what will the stats of (Darth) Vader look like when they finally print them out?... :0

Now that I ask it, what would The Emperor, Yoda, and Boba Fett look like?

Dare I ask again, what would the ship Stats of the Executor Super Start Destroyer look like?

:o

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

What will the characters' stats look like? That's easy. All of them will have six Characteristics, a fairly large spread of Skills, and a group of Talents. They will have Wound and Strain Thresholds, and a small selection of Gear and Equipment. Expect to see these written like the NPC blocks unless they are in a product specifically detailin them for PC use.  ;)

• jordiver2 and Cilionelle like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#3 IceBear

IceBear

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I prefer when they don't stat stuff like that. I know people want to fight Vader so stats would be needed by it kills a lot of the mystery for me (and, omg, the nerd arguments there will be over the disagreements over them)
  • Aazlain likes this

#4 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ahahahaha yeah that's one thing I didn't like about the d20 games, since you'd have debate and discussion over creating builds designed to kill those NPCs using sourcebooks created after the NPCs were statted up.

I'm perfectly happy if said major characters end up not being statted, not least since it gives more leeway to a GM to do so, and as we've seen it's not like NPCs are supposed to be beholden to the same rules as PCs in FFG SWRPG unlike Saga.

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#5 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

I prefer when they don't stat stuff like that. I know people want to fight Vader so stats would be needed by it kills a lot of the mystery for me (and, omg, the nerd arguments there will be over the disagreements over them)

See, I'm the reverse. I dont necessarily want them to fight Vader, but it gives me a benchmark for when I'm creating badguys. "I need a badassed warrior fellow. Fett's got a 5 in Light Blaster and X, Y and Z talents? Sweet! Dial my badass back just a bit, change some color skills around, file off the serial number and BOOM! Good to go!"

#6 Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I always liked the official Togashi Yokuni stats from 1e L5R: His rings and skills are all considered infinite, he can cast any spell he wants at any time with no casting time and no scrolls, he can appear anywhere he wishes at any time.

It made it obvious: this isn't something you are supposed to be fighting.

#7 IceBear

IceBear

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

@Desslock, That's a valid point. I just hate losing the mystery but I won't cry myself to sleep if they do release the stats :-)

Edited by IceBear, 03 September 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#8 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think that some stats would be good, if only to put the PC's in their place.  Imagine the fight between Luke and Vader at the end of Empire Strikes back.  It was a fight only because Vader was toying with Luke.  Imagine a group of tough PC's trying to take on Vader and then him putting them in their place.

Stats are good because people are going to ask "what are the stats of Darth Vader", with endless speculation on the nerdboards.  However, the caveat of he can do anything he wants can trump a group of clever PC's who think that they have enough firepower to match him

#9 IceBear

IceBear

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yeah I just had a bad experience in the past with a player knowing exactly a major NPC's stats and getting upset because I had scaled the NPC accordingly to still be a challenge for them. Just would hate to have something similar happen if the group ends up facing Vader or Bob Fett.

But yes, having them stated out is useful but usually no one agrees :-)

#10 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Stats are good because people are going to ask "what are the stats of Darth Vader", with endless speculation on the nerdboards.  However, the caveat of he can do anything he wants can trump a group of clever PC's who think that they have enough firepower to match him

That's pretty much the only way to go about it that doesn't lead to clever message-board-goers trying to rummage through sourcebooks for little bits with which to munchkinize a build specifically to down him with.

See, I'm the reverse. I dont necessarily want them to fight Vader, but it gives me a benchmark for when I'm creating badguys. "I need a badassed warrior fellow. Fett's got a 5 in Light Blaster and X, Y and Z talents? Sweet! Dial my badass back just a bit, change some color skills around, file off the serial number and BOOM! Good to go!"

Ehhh, the thing is we already have the generic NPC Nemeses to derive those from the existing generic NPCs in EotE and in AoR... heck, I ended up using a mix of the Forsaken Jedi and Emperor's Hand stat blocks as a basis from which to derive abilities for "Luke Skywalker, Jedi Assassin (0.5 ABY)".  :P Gear after that was "lightsaber, armored clothing with enhanced optics package, vibroknife, blaster pistol and whatever else would be appropriate for the circumstances."

I would say/suggest though that if you're going to use the player careers/specializations as a basis on which to stat the characters, just remember that as NPCs you have a de facto unlimited XP "budget" (hahaha why even call it that) to work with, so since there's so many careers and specializations corresponding to character concepts, use whichever specializations you like along the guidelines that EotE suggests (Lando being a Scoundrel who later bought into Pilot, while Han Solo's a Smuggler career-wise despite his prior Imperial officer background but picked up so, so many other specializations later).

Edited by Chortles, 03 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#11 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I think that some stats would be good, if only to put the PC's in their place.

I'd rather not see stats for the movie characters. Make your game's heroes the Lukes and Leias and Hans of your game. Make your main villain the Darth Vader of your game. The only place the PCs should be in is as the stars of their version of Star Wars.

• segara82, IceBear, Cilionelle and 2 others like this

#12 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'd rather not see stats for the movie characters. Make your game's heroes the Lukes and Leias and Hans of your game. Make your main villain the Darth Vader of your game. The only place the PCs should be in is as the stars of their version of Star Wars.

Now this stance I like.

• Cilionelle and Starace5423 like this

#13 Space Monkey

Space Monkey

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

As I only have EotE rules and careers to go by I would probably use something like this:

Darth Vader (Nemesis)

Brawn 5, Agility 2, Intelligence 3, Cunning 4, Willpower 4, Presence 3

Soak 9, W Threshhold 24, S Threshold 15, M/R Defense 2/2

Skills: Astrogation 2, Coercion 4, Cool 3, Deception 3, Knowledge (Lore) 4, Lightsaber 4, Melee 2, Perception 4, Piloting (Space) 4, Piloting (Planetary) 3, Streetwise 3, Vigilance 3.

Talents: Adversary 5, Force Rating 6 (as per EotE Beta), All of the Force Sensitive Exile, Marauder, Pilot and Outlaw Tech Talents.

Abilities: All Sense, Move, Influence, and Enhance Talents. Force grip (Move variant): Activates on a O. Must roll per round and generate at least one O each round to cause Suffocation on target.

Equipment: Lightsaber (with the Defensive 1, and Deflection 2 qualities and +2 Damage due to 2 Ranks of Jury Rigged Talent), Heavy Battle Armor variant (H/Armor stats, with full breathing apparatus).

This should be more than enough for my players for the time being.

By the way, for those rules lawyers out there, I knocked this up in less than 15 minutes so if there's anything missing then that's why.

It is in no means meant to be a truly accurate depiction, its simply my version of Darth with the tools and time I had at this particular moment.

Enjoy, use or pull apart at your leisure!

• Josep Maria likes this

#14 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

WHen a player meets Vader for the first time this should be what happens:

"I find my lack of faith disturbing"

*Shoots self in head*

better the what COULD happen

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 6/21/14 'The Treasure of Celis Mott'

Last Update 7/4/14

#15 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hi people!

Its pretty hard so say anything without all Force/Jedi mechanics implemented, but its a nice aproximation Space Monkey :D

I always use to say that its better for everyone that people from FFG create stats because they are the ones who can interpretate its games, stats and mechanics with a more accurate and personal vision (because they created it XD).

If the official stats don't exist, you can't understand their accurate (and personal) vision, but if you have a reference then you have more options like: accept them, make a few changes or just ignore them!

So, with official stats everyone would be happy because covers everyone wishes.

Take care :D

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,901 Profile Views.

Let us Vote! http://catalanassemb...al-catalan-way/

http://gigafoto.assemblea.cat/

#16 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

"Lack of reference" is intentional insofar as why I don't want official character stats... see IceBear's experience where "a player knowing exactly a major NPC's stats and getting upset because I had scaled the NPC accordingly to still be a challenge for them" :P Plus we already have the generic NPCs for reference.

@ Space Monkey: Where is this Defensive 1 and Deflection 2 coming from??

#17 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

I think that from the Lightsaber version on Beta.

About "crying players"... well, I faced a few of them too but I use to told them "grow up or GM" XD

In roleplaygames there is some kind of harmony (or must exist) between players and GM. At the first stage GM must advice that the is 100% cannon or not, if likes jokes on games and players must agree or disagree those "therms".

If everyone cooperates and there is comunication, problems will disappear :D

Edited by Josep Maria, 04 September 2013 - 01:57 AM.

5,901 Profile Views.

#18 Digiblade

Digiblade

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

Skill Monkey's Vader is pretty good, but I'd alter a few things, based on the Forsaken Jedi:

Darth Vader (Nemesis)

Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 3 Cunning 2 WillPower 4 Presence 2

Soak: 10 (5+1+2+1+1)  Wound Threshold: 21 (15+2+2+2+2) Strain Threshold: 15 (14+1) M/R Def:2/2

Skills: Lightsaber 4, Astrogation 2 Athletics 2 Coercion 4 Cool 3 Deception 2 Mechanics 5 Perception 2 Piloting(Space) 4 Piloting(Planet) 4 Resilience 3 Vigilance 3 Gunnery 2 Melee 2

Knowledge: Lore 2 Underworld 1

Talents: Adversary 4, Force Rating 6, Overwhelm Emotions, Sixth Sense, Superior Reflexes, Skilled Jockey, Toughened 4, Frenzied Attack 1, Lethal Blows 2, Knockdown, Enduring 1, Full Throttle, Skilled Jockey, Improved Full Throttle, Grit 1, Supreme Full Throttle, Gearhead 2, 

Abilities: All Sense and Move (I don't recall Vader or Anakin using Influence), (Not sure about Foresee and Enhance) On the Edge (once per Force check, may suffer 1 strain to use <Black Pipe> result to generate <White Pipe>)

Equipment: Lightsaber (Breach 1, Sunder, Vicious 2)*, Heavy Battle Armor (Superior,Vacuum Sealed, Thermal Shielding & Heating Systems), Implant Armor, Immune Implant (+1 Resilience), Cybernetic Legs (+1 Brawn)**, Cybernetic Arms (+1 Brawn)**

*Not sure where the Forsaken Jedi gets his lightsaber's extra abilities of Defensive and Deflection, so I excluded them

**Not sure if cybernetic brawn increase soak and wound thresholds, calculations are without boosts

Edited by Digiblade, 04 September 2013 - 03:11 PM.

• Josep Maria likes this

#19 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

A pair of considerations. I remembered that in page 15 (last paragraph) people from FFG says a sutile "6 maybe isn't the max" and probably characters like Darth Vader could have more than 6. But its just an interpretation.

Also in page 220 told another "rumored info" that let "Jedis" to ignore Strain penalizations and ease the mind of other to help them to recover more quickly.

Both stats are cool but maybe Darth Vader as the Choosen One would have Rating 7 (Based on Beta).

Edited by Josep Maria, 04 September 2013 - 02:30 AM.

5,901 Profile Views.

#20 IceBear

IceBear

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

I think that some stats would be good, if only to put the PC's in their place.

Yeah, I guess this is more what I meant by "mystery". Sure, it's nice to see the iconic characters' stats, but really Darth Vader is Luke's problem to deal with. In my campaign, the players will have their own villain to deal with. I wouldn't let my players see his stat block right from the beginning of the campaign as it would ruin the mystery and uncertainty when dealing with him

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS