• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Two months passed since my latest game. Two months of games, but Arkham never hit the board because of the lack of time. Today, thanks to the awful weather making hiking impossible, we dusted the board and had a game. Of the four AOs I still had to fight against with Ghroth as Herald, I drew Rhan. Hmmm. The worst after such a long pause.

Amanda, Roland, Akachi, Mandy, Lily. A good party, with aweful starting possessions, and a Dark Young and a Child of the Goat - that became an Elder Thing - arrived in the Riverside streets thanks to the first Mythos spawning a gate and a Leng spider at the unvisited Isle. 4 doomers on the doom track before the first Upkeep. The game seemed to be very short and very steep. When Mandy (with Mythos Lore) was sen LiTaS during the first encounter in the OW during turn 1, I thought the impending doom to be inevitable.

Apart from the Mandy accident, the first turns went smooth, with two gates (Unvisited Isle + independence Square) open followed by a monster surge from Ind. Square giving us some respite. Lily and Amanda both had a good encounter at the Black Cave / Graveyard, granting them an extra clue. A new gate opened at the Science Building (Abyss) and another Abyss appeared in the following round at the Witch house. They surged once, and I had four seals on the board and no gate open when Rhan was at 7 doomers. But clearly, thanks to the new FAQ, this is still not enough for a closing victory.

Next Mythos: say goodbye to the seal at Independence Square, guys. Plus a Spectral Hunter and a Star Spawn appearen in the Northside streets. And a gate opened in Dunwich. Aaaargh. Did I say that we had the "No one can help you now" environment in play? It never left for the rest of the game

Roland killed Barnabas, and the doom track returned to 8 doomers. Lily got rid of the monsters blocking the Northside streets, allowing Amanda to go to Dunwich and grab three clues (the Earth spoke, thanks to Akachi) at Gardner's Place, with an extra 3 stamina boosting that's always helpful. Mandy went to the Curiosity Shoppe and got the Key of Tawil-Something (discard while in an OW to return to Arkham).

New Mythos another surge. Amanda bypassed a Zombie in the street in front of Wizard Hill, and failed (oh, what a pity) the Evade check against the Nightgaunt guarding the gate, entering the Unknown Kadath (not so Unknown in a couple of turns). Akachi sealed again the Independence Square.

Next Mythos: Witch house, sealed.

Then: Akachi casted Plumb the Void to have Amanda return to Arkham, and Mandy used the Key to return to the Unnamable. Only two gates on the board. Mandy rolls four dice, scoring zero successes, but thanks to her special ability she was allowed to roll again, closing the gate. Amanda had three dice, again, zero successes, but she had six clues to waste to add dice. At the fourth attempt, the gate was closed, and Rhan was banned from Arkham again

Victory by closing gates in 12 Mythos (I'm back :) )

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Wow!  You've taken a hiking trip to new levels...I have to make sure I pack a flashlight...oh, yeah and a few extra batteries.  I'll need a sleeping bag and some changes of clothing.  I'll need a sturdy backpack and a comfortable pair of hiking shoes.  Oh, wait, I almost forgot the extra 5 lbs of Arkham Horror!!!  :P

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

New Mythos another surge. Amanda bypassed a Zombie in the street in front of Wizard Hill, and failed (oh, what a pity) the Evade check against the Nightgaunt guarding the gate, entering the Unknown Kadath (not so Unknown in a couple of turns). Akachi sealed again the Independence Square.

You mean closed, right? After all, no one could help you :)

#4 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Holy smokes.

• Julia likes this

#5 Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Akachi can always seal gates, regardless of effects that prevent it :)

• Julia likes this

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Two months passed since my latest game. Two months of games, but Arkham never hit the board because of the lack of time. Today, thanks to the awful weather making hiking impossible, we dusted the board and had a game. Of the four AOs I still had to fight against with Ghroth as Herald, I drew Rhan. Hmmm. The worst after such a long pause.

Amanda, Roland, Akachi, Mandy, Lily. A good party, with aweful starting possessions, and a Dark Young and a Child of the Goat - that became an Elder Thing - arrived in the Riverside streets thanks to the first Mythos spawning a gate and a Leng spider at the unvisited Isle. 4 doomers on the doom track before the first Upkeep. The game seemed to be very short and very steep. When Mandy (with Mythos Lore) was sen LiTaS during the first encounter in the OW during turn 1, I thought the impending doom to be inevitable.

Apart from the Mandy accident, the first turns went smooth, with two gates (Unvisited Isle + independence Square) open followed by a monster surge from Ind. Square giving us some respite. Lily and Amanda both had a good encounter at the Black Cave / Graveyard, granting them an extra clue. A new gate opened at the Science Building (Abyss) and another Abyss appeared in the following round at the Witch house. They surged once, and I had four seals on the board and no gate open when Rhan was at 7 doomers. But clearly, thanks to the new FAQ, this is still not enough for a closing victory.

Next Mythos: say goodbye to the seal at Independence Square, guys. Plus a Spectral Hunter and a Star Spawn appearen in the Northside streets. And a gate opened in Dunwich. Aaaargh. Did I say that we had the "No one can help you now" environment in play? It never left for the rest of the game

Roland killed Barnabas, and the doom track returned to 8 doomers. Lily got rid of the monsters blocking the Northside streets, allowing Amanda to go to Dunwich and grab three clues (the Earth spoke, thanks to Akachi) at Gardner's Place, with an extra 3 stamina boosting that's always helpful. Mandy went to the Curiosity Shoppe and got the Key of Tawil-Something (discard while in an OW to return to Arkham).

Then: Akachi casted Plumb the Void to have Amanda return to Arkham, and Mandy used the Key to return to the Unnamable. Only two gates on the board. Mandy rolls four dice, scoring zero successes, but thanks to her special ability she was allowed to roll again, closing the gate. Amanda had three dice, again, zero successes, but she had six clues to waste to add dice. At the fourth attempt, the gate was closed, and Rhan was banned from Arkham again

Are you trying to intimidate the other forumites? ;'D

Edited by Avi_dreader, 04 September 2013 - 08:34 AM.

• Julia likes this

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow!  You've taken a hiking trip to new levels...I have to make sure I pack a flashlight...oh, yeah and a few extra batteries.  I'll need a sleeping bag and some changes of clothing.  I'll need a sturdy backpack and a comfortable pair of hiking shoes.  Oh, wait, I almost forgot the extra 5 lbs of Arkham Horror!!!  :P

You know, sometimes it could be rainy and you need to have something to do... so I overpacked with books (Avi will approve this) and clearly Arkham :-) After the Rhan game, I played two games more, one against Cthugha + Ghroth, and another one today against Nyogtha + Ghroth (a victory by sealing and a victory by closing gates)

• Avi_dreader and The Professor like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Akachi can always seal gates, regardless of effects that prevent it :)

Sorry guys! I meant: the next Mythos would have opened a gate on the Witch House, but the gate opening bounced on a seal already there. But Joseph's right, Akachi can always seal, and I used her to seal again Independence Square

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Are you trying to intimidate the other forumites? ;'D

Meeee? :P :P :P

• Avi_dreader likes this

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I understand, my friend!  I, too, would pack books...and I love hiking.

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS