Innsmouth Horror Jail Cell

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

As I said on the BGG forums, there is a flaw in this response. The Innsmouth Jail text reads:

Each investigator in the Jail Cell during the Arkham Encounters Phase makes a Sneak (–1) check and draws encounter card...

It is clear that the investigator has no such option; in fact, having a non-jailbreak encounter might result in a nonsense encounter such as walking out of jail.

Still, it answered the question we asked, so there's that.

Edited by Tibs, 09 September 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#22 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Double posted a reply and had to edit but wasn't sure on how to totally delete so sorry.

Edited by jackman51, 10 September 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#23 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thank you Julia for this. It would appear that ColtsFan 76 was correct. The only thing that surprised me a bit was that you have the option in the IJC to not make the Sneak check though yep I can't really see why you wouldn't if your Sneak slider permits. I imagine that the option to not make a sneak check exists because you may not be able to if your skill slider or some penalty puts Sneak at 0. But either way you must draw a card. Since I only own Innsmouth and Kingsport there also may be investigator abilities or spells or items that somehow affect this decision that I don't know about.

At any rate thank you again all for your patient replies and gosh not even one snarky quip of the sort I sometimes get on the BGG forums.

Edited by jackman51, 10 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#24 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Tim Uren is the project lead on AH so he was the right person to answer.  

What I am confused with as well is the ability to select the "Innmouth Jail" Encounter while in the "Jail Cell."  this doesn't make any sense to me.  That bypasses the "horror" of having to face the potential of getting devoured with the Jail Cell ability.  If my sneak was low, then I think taking Innsmouth Jail would be the safer route to go. 

Or does he mean that you can opt to take a "normal" encounter by just drawing one Jail Cell encounter?  Which again, makes no sense since you automatically get to draw one card no matter what.

This seems a case of too much clarification now making it a bit confusing.

#25 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Or does he mean that you can opt to take a "normal" encounter by just drawing one Jail Cell encounter?  Which again, makes no sense since you automatically get to draw one card no matter what.

This. He surely cannot mean take a "Jail" encounter since you're in the cell but yeah I see no reason not to do the Sneak check either. Unless as I said there's some ability or spell I'm not aware of. :wacko:

#26 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

Ok, I've heard back from Tim (e-mailed him for clarifications after his first answer). The correct sequence is:

_________

Hi Julia,

I apologize! That is indeed an error in my answer in regard to being arrested in Innsmouth:

When an investigator is arrested in Innsmouth
  • He loses half of his money and is delayed.
  • He places his investigator token (on its side, since he's delayed) in the Jail Cell in Innsmouth.
  • If he was arrested during the Movement Phase, he must resolve the Jail Break ability on Innsmouth Jail  during the Arkham Encounter Phase of this turn.
On his next turn
  • He does get an Upkeep Phase.
  • The only thing he can do during his Movement Phase is stand his investigator token up.
  • During his Arkham Encounters Phase, he must again resolve the Jail Break ability on Innsmouth Jail  during the Arkham Encounter Phase of this turn.

When Martial Law is in effect in Innsmouth, an investigator in Innsmouth Jail must make the Evade –1 check at the end of his Movement Phase to avoid being arrested for Martial Law, even if he is delayed. Each time an investigator is arrested in the Innsmouth Jail, he loses half of his money and is delayed.

If he has not been arrested again, he continues play normally afterwards.

Players do get an Upkeep Phase after being arrested in Innsmouth, but they do not when arrested in Arkham, as they lose the turn after being arrested.

Tim Uren
Associate Creative Content Developer

I just edited the Official Answer post I had made yesterday with this correction. I'll post the correction on the BGG as well

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#27 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Cool.  That clears a lot up.

Edited by ColtsFan76, 11 September 2013 - 01:37 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS