It's too easy to hit with Spray

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

A shotgun shouls have a benefit on shorter ranges and a penalty on far ranges to make it feel real.

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#22 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

Is that more 'real' though? I mean, I know nothing about guns, but logic would dictate a spread of pellets would make it easier to hit at range than with a standard gun, not harder. Sure, their effective range is lower, but that's represented by the actual range of the gun. 

#23 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

If it is like in movies, thats real enough for me ;D

I would like my shotguns to baaaaam up doors and hit those hard that try to get in melee with me.

#24 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Tom is right, shotguns at point blank range are no easier to hit with than any other gun. The spread actually makes them easier to hit with once the pellets have left the barrel for several feet and begun to spread. Easier here is also kind of a matter of relative values since the spread goes expands to a couple of feet at varying ranges depending on the choke of the barrel (how narrow it is) but it also loses pretty much all stopping power since the chance of a pattern that wide actually landing pellets in a vital spot diminishes rapidly as the density around your point of aim decreases (assuming you aimed at a vital point).

Given the imprecision of trying to depict all of that with a few numbers I would lean toward shorter range being a limiting factor and not trying to over-complicate things. The fact it that shotguns are large bore weapons which means lots of stopping power regardless of what they are loaded with when fired up close, and they are not a freaking Cone of Cold or whatever. Fix that and I am much closer to happy.

GauntZero has a point of course, this is not about realism, it is about 40k, which is not exactly a hard science universe. Rule of cool and all that. 

#25 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

If I am honest I would prefer shotguns to be of hard impact in close range and of less damage but with area effect on far range.

#26 Togath

Togath

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Fragmentation rounds are basically bullets designed to turn SP weapons into shotguns and their mechanic is a decreased RoF in exchange for Storm. I have to say that giving shotguns storm is a fine representation of hitting a target hard without unnecessarily complicating them. Make the damage high enough and the range short enough and the end result will be about right in my opinion. 

#27 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Worth a try, if damage is increased to the old value of 1d10+4 again.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS