a worry I have with this game.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 khadorstrong

khadorstrong

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

So I've been a Star Wars fan, like the vast majority of you, all my life. 
I played every Star Wars CCG to date. I have bought some of this, but not all of it. 
My worry is, will this game die in 2years. 
Every Star Wars game so far, has lasted a good 3-6yrs, then when the license comes 

up, it gets dropped. Now FF is doing AWESOME stuff with Star Wars, from X-wing, to the role playing and now the card game. My worry is, when this license comes back around we are going to be dead in the water with both this and Xwing. 

Has anything been said from FF on the possible time frame of how long this game will be made? I know with X-wing they originally said they were going to make like 34 ships, and stop. Who knows if that's true, as that was early in the releases. 

#2 bobafett012

bobafett012

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

are you seriously worrying about something which you have zero control over, is years away, and no one would have any legitimate information about what so ever?

I have a better idea, stop worrying about the life of the game. if you like it, then play and have fun with it until it is no more. Then move on to whatever new game you fancy.

Edited by bobafett012, 28 August 2013 - 08:48 PM.

• Daedalus and JMCB like this

#3 Nyvosus

Nyvosus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

focus on the here and now padawan. and the here and now is that this game is the bees knees and its growing and thriving.

#4 khadorstrong

khadorstrong

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

LOL. Indeed, you're right. Worse comes to worse, I just have more star wars junk in my room. He who dies with the most Star Wars junk wins right? 

#5 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think that it is a legitimate worry to have, at least in the back of one's mind. We all want the games that we enjoy to have long lifespans. That is what I always loved about MTG; there is no fear of the game going anywhere. I got out of it because there are many things about it that I don't like.

I find myself worrying about FFG and the SW license also. I really like this game, and would hate to see it end, or turn into a CCG...

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#6 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I actually sent them an email about this a while ago, just asking how long they had the licence for. They didn't actually answer but said they have enough stuff to keep going for a good number of years yet, or something. I posted it on here a few months back, anyway...

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#7 khadorstrong

khadorstrong

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

They may have a lot of stuff, but the minute they lose the license, that stuff is gone. 

It will survive on, as there will be a community that supports it, like Star Wars CCG from Decipher and Star Wars minis from WOTC(that still pulled like 50 people for a tourney at Gen Con) but it wont have actually purchasing support. 

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I don't see any reason to think they are in danger of losing the license any time soon. The game is brand new and super hot and continuing to expand. They have 3 RPGs coming as well as the X-Wing game. This game will be around for years to come. With 5 new movies coming it has even more source material on the way than the already vast amount that exists.

#9 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Lots of dead games remain playable for a long time. Chess, checkers, Monopoly, the Decipher SWCCG, etc. New material isn't necessary. Have fun with it for as long as it is supported, and then have fun with it and keep it alive after FFG moves on.

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

It could be my naivety, but I don't think Disney is a stupid company.

Given that FFG is currently doing so damn well with X-Wing, even if they weren't producing any other SW game, I can't see them pulling the licence early, as some folks speculated back when LFL was bought. Nobody seems to know precisely how long FFG has the licence for (they refused to answer that part of my question), but I can perhaps see a bit of wrangling in a re-negotiation when that eventually expires. I would assume, though, that FFG would have a very strong position, given the success they have had that has now all but eclipsed the fact they put out no actual product for the first year of having said licence. I think it has been said before that Disney has been observed to prefer to keep all of its produce in-house, and they own Hasbro or something, but I seriously believe that they would be stupid to end the agreement with FFG in order to produce more SW monopoly or whatever. So long as FFG continues to make serious money off this licence, I don't think we have anything to really worry about. 

All of these are my own opinions, however, and are not backed up with any kind of insider or statistical information whatsoever  :)

#11 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Disney doesn't own Hasbro.  There was a rumor going around right after the Lucasfilm buyout that they were trying to gobble them up too, but AFAIK nothing ever came of it.

#12 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Ah, thanks for that! IIRC, LFL were the majority shareholder in Hasbro, though that may mean absolutely nothing here. To be honest, I would hope that FFG's success with X-Wing alone would force Disney to reconsider who has the actual boardgame licence, though that is probably more a pipedream than anything else. 

I do feel that a lot of these worries are akin to those surrounding Dark Horse's losing the licence in the wake of the Disney takeover, and those were proven to be nothing. So we shall see, I suppose!

#13 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

To be honest, I would hope that FFG's success with X-Wing alone would force Disney to reconsider who has the actual boardgame licence, though that is probably more a pipedream than anything else. 

Just my own speculation here, but I think there's a very good chance that within the next year or two, FFG will negotiate a deal with Disney and Hasbro allowing them to create boardgames for the hobby market while Hasbro keeps making them for the "mainstream" market, perhaps with Hasbro acting as exclusive distributor for any FFG games that "mainstream" stores decide they want to carry. This could include reprint rights on things hobby gamers want but Hasbro doesn't see as worth bringing back, i.e. Epic Duels and Queen's Gambit. (Epic Duels in particular could be a major cash cow for them, especially if instead of a complete game in one box they broke it up and sold teams a la carte like X-Wing [with comparable quality minis].)

• Zordren and spalanzani like this

#14 Shadin

Shadin

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

With 5 new movies coming it has even more source material on the way than the already vast amount that exists.

God I hope not.  The best part about FFG Star Wars products is that they only focus on the original trilogy.  :)

I know there's no grand plan here.  This is just the way it goes.

#15 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

With 5 new movies coming it has even more source material on the way than the already vast amount that exists.

God I hope not.  The best part about FFG Star Wars products is that they only focus on the original trilogy.  :)

Actually their products have brought out quite a bit of EU stuff that did not take place in the original trilogy but afterwards. There has been no prequel trilogy products as of yet but don't think it won't ever happen. You never know what the future holds. I actually wouldn't mind prequel trilogy to be introduced into the LCG... To be able to run a deck with Qui-Gon Jinn and young Obi-Wann would be fun. Alternatively, Darth Maul, Dooku and Grevious would be awesome Dark side characters to have for the game and come on... you know you want them to make a Jar Jar Binks card so you can destroy it/beat your opponent with it. That would be like the icing on the cake to a tournament victory... Beating your opponent with the Black Sheep of all Gungans.

• Zordren likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#16 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Given that the Lord of the Rings LCG only started with a very small timeframe to make the game in, but has since grown to encompass so much more, I imagine FFG were licensed for the original trilogy first as a kind of safe-bet thing. Not sure if they had to go back to Middle Earth Enterprises and ask for more, so who knows what will happen here, too? 

#17 Shadin

Shadin

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Actually their products have brought out quite a bit of EU stuff that did not take place in the original trilogy but afterwards. There has been no prequel trilogy products as of yet but don't think it won't ever happen. You never know what the future holds. I actually wouldn't mind prequel trilogy to be introduced into the LCG... To be able to run a deck with Qui-Gon Jinn and young Obi-Wann would be fun. Alternatively, Darth Maul, Dooku and Grevious would be awesome Dark side characters to have for the game and come on... you know you want them to make a Jar Jar Binks card so you can destroy it/beat your opponent with it. That would be like the icing on the cake to a tournament victory... Beating your opponent with the Black Sheep of all Gungans.

As much fun as killing Jar Jar would be, I'd still prefer they stick to original trilogy and EU.  Cards with prequel material would give me a serious case of the sads.

I know there's no grand plan here.  This is just the way it goes.

#18 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I don't see prequel every happening as Disney seems to be doing their best to bury those. Sequels though is more likely as with new movies everyone will be scrambling to get as much stuff as possible out with links to those.
  • Holliday88 likes this

#19 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Cards with prequel material would give me a serious case of the sads.

Get ready for sads then, cause it's gonna happen. It's already started happening, gradually, with cards like Bail Organa, the artwork on the 501st Trooper being the clone's face, etc. There will be more in the future. And then there will probably be a deluxe box or something focusing on the prequels eventually. Eric Lang, the designer, even made some (albeit vague) references to creating prequel cards on his twitter a bit back, about how the characters would make interesting cards.

It is what it is. Those movies are 50% of the overall movie saga. You cannot ignore 50% of the movie saga.

Edited by Mattr0polis, 02 September 2013 - 07:31 PM.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Cards with prequel material would give me a serious case of the sads.

Get ready for sads then, cause it's gonna happen. It's already started happening, gradually, with cards like Bail Organa, the artwork on the 501st Trooper being the clone's face, etc. There will be more in the future. And then there will probably be a deluxe box or something focusing on the prequels eventually.

None of your examples are prequel stuff. Bail Organa is not a prequel character anymore than Obi Wan is or Darth Vader or the Emperor. Bail was alive right through to the destruction of Alderaan, he was a key member of the Rebel Alliance. The 501st Trooper being clones face is because most of the 501st were "true" Stormtroopers which was the reason they were with Vader. He kept the clones over the newer troopers.

"After the Battle of Kamino, the 501st became the last remnant of the Grand Army of the Republic fully composed of Jango Fett clones, as opposed to the ever-growing and more diverse Stormtrooper Corps, where the Fett clones became a minority"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS