Movement summary, with houserules

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JonTheBold

JonTheBold

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

To try to rationalize the movement rules (both personal and vehicle), I've started a compilation of everything I could find in the EotE core rulebook regarding movement (i.e. getting from point A to point B).  Anything I've house-ruled is marked with the (HR) tag.

You can find the PDF of this document here.  I've included the text of it below, as well.  (Edit: updated to include fjw70's excellent "zone" concept for vehicle movement).

Movement in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

Personal

Range Bands (distance)
Engaged: Within reach of fists and melee weapons. Melee weapons can only be used at this range. (HR)
Short: Up to several meters. Can talk comfortably without raising voice at this range. Across the room in an average house (HR example).
Medium: Up to several dozen meters away. Need to talk loudly to be heard. Up to the length of a basketball court (HR example).
Long: Farther than a few dozen meters, but less than Extreme range. Must yell loudly to be heard. A hundred meters / football field / city block (HR example).
Extreme: Farthest range at which characters can interact. A kilometer or so (HR example).

Maneuvers (page 200-203)
One Maneuver: With one maneuver, you can

- Engage or disengage with someone.

- Move to another location within short range.

- Move between short and medium ranges.

Two Maneuvers: With two maneuvers, you can

- Move between medium and long ranges.

- Move between long and extreme ranges.

Pushing It: Add 2 points of strain to gain a second maneuver (max 2 maneuvers/turn).
Lucky Opening: Spend 2 advantage to gain an extra maneuver (max 2 maneuvers/turn).
Focused Movement: Convert an action into a maneuver (max 2 maneuvers/turn).
Unforced Error: Can be granted free out-of-turn maneuver by opponent spending 2 threat (no limit).

Athletics (page 105)
Types: Used for climbing, swimming, jumping, running, etc.
Difficulty: Determine difficulty and add conditional setback dice. Extreme conditions may merit challenge dice.
Great Success: Additional successes can reduce time or increase distance travelled.
Lucky Move: Two advantage can be used to grant the character an extra maneuver which can only be used to move or perform physical activity. (HR to assume that this is limited by the normal 2 maneuvers/turn rule)
Motivational: Advantage can also grant boost die to allies who performing physical activities, or to later checks by the player.
Stuck The Landing: Triumph can grant truly impressive results.
Pulled Muscle: Threat could impose strain or wounds.
Bad Landing: Despair could result in a critical injury.

Flying (page 202)
Natural: Some creatures can fly or hover without mechanical aid.
Passable: Can bypass difficult or impassible terrain in many cases.
Vertical: Can cover vertical distances, just like normal creatures cover horizontal.
Hover: Hovering creatures must generally stay within Medium range of the ground, unless otherwise noted.
Fliers: Normal fliers must spend a maneuver to move each turn in order to stay aloft (even if just circling).
Fast Fliers: Most flying creatures can move faster than hovering creatures, and can move from long range to short range using a single maneuver.

Difficult and Impassible Terrain (page 213)
Difficult Terrain types: Tight passageways, slippery ice, thick undergrowth, loose rubble, shifting sand, waist-deep water, etc.
Difficult Move: Moving through difficult terrain takes twice as many maneuvers as normal.
Impassible Terrain types: Sheer cliffs, walls higher than a character can reach through jumping, deep pits, etc.
Impassible: It is not possible to move through impassible terrain via normal maneuvers.
Skilled Passage: Can spend an action to circumvent using skill (Athletics or Coordination, probably). This movement may require one or more maneuvers as well.

Zero Gravity (page 213)
Space: Can move in three dimensions.
Uncontrolled Movement: Treat all movement as through difficult terrain (i.e. twice normal maneuver cost).

Water and Swimming (page 213)
Difficult Water: Unless otherwise noted, treat body of water as difficult terrain.
Dangerous Water: Some water may require an Athletics check to swim, if dangerous. In this case, swimming takes at least one action and any number of maneuvers.
Holding Breath: If completely submerged, character can hold breath for a number of rounds equal to Brawn characteristic. Once this number is reached, character starts to drown and is treated as suffocating on each successive round.

Falling (page 215)
Impact Absorption: Fall damage is reduced by soak, but strain is not.
Lucky Catch: Can reduce fall damage by making an Average (2) Athletics or Coordination check. Each success reduces damage suffered by one, while each advantage reduces the strain suffered by one. A triumph could, at GM’s discretion, reduce overall distance fallen by one range band.  A despair might result in a critical injury (HR).
Pain by Range: Falling damage by range

- Short: 10 wounds, 10 strain

- Medium: 30 wounds, 20 strain

- Long: Incapacitated, Critical Injury at +50, 30 strain

- Extreme: Incapacitated, Critical Injury at +75 (or death, GM discretion), 40 strain.

Vehicles

General
Track Speed: Vehicles should always track their current speed. At speed 0, the vehicle is not moving. A normal six-sided die can be useful for this purpose (HR).

Range bands (distance) (page 238)
Close: Slightly farther than extreme range in personal scale (more than 1km).
Short: Up to several dozen kilometers away. On a planet, this is far enough that vehicles no longer engage each other with line-of-sight weapons. In space, this is just out of dogfighting range.
Medium: On a planet, this is roughly 50 kilometers, and only the most powerful artillery could reach this far. In space, this can be up to a few hundred kilometers.
Long: On a planet, this can be up to 200 kilometers away, barely visible on scanners. In space, this could be several thousand kilometers away, and only the largest capital ship weapons are able to reach these distances.
Extreme: On a planet, this is the far edge of a vehicle’s scanners, and weapons do not reach this far. In space, it’s likewise beyond the range of almost all starship weapons (even capital ships).

Maneuvers (page 232-233)
Personally Effective: Many personal maneuvers work during starship combat (e.g. Aim).
One Maneuver: Movement ranges are based on current vehicle speed

- Speed 1+: move to another location within close range.

- Speed 2+: move between close and short range.

- Speed 5+: move between close and medium range.

Two Maneuvers: Movement ranges are based on current vehicle speed

- Speed 1+: move between close and short range.

- Speed 2+: move between close and medium range.

- Speed 5+: move between close and long range.

Pedal to the Metal: During structured gameplay (e.g. combat), can spend 2 system strain and 2 pilot strain to gain a second maneuver (max 2 maneuvers/turn). If ship has multiple pilots (rare, silhouette 5+), they can ignore the 2 strain, but ship still takes system strain.
Accelerate/decelerate: [Pilot only, Silhouette: any, Speed: any] Increase or decrease ship or vehicle’s current speed by one.
Fly/drive: [Pilot only, Silhouette: any, Speed: any] Fly between ranges, as denoted above.
Punch it: [Pilot only, Silhouette: 1-4, Speed: any] Go immediately to maximum speed. Suffer one point of system strain for every point of speed between the ship’s current speed and its maximum speed.
Zones: (HR) As suggested by user fjw70 on the forum, think of range bands in terms of “zones”.
Close: Same zone.
Short: Up to 2 zones away.
Medium: 3 to 4 zones away.
Long: 5 to 6 zones away.
Zones by Speed: (HR) Again, as suggested by user fjw70 on the forum, to determine zone movement by speed.
Speed 1: Move one zone with one maneuver.
Speed 2-4: Move two zones per maneuver.
Speed 5-6: Move three zones per maneuver.

Travel Time
Sublight travel duration:

- Fly from planet’s orbit to safe hyperspace jump distance: 5-15 minutes.

- Fly from planet’s surface to one of its moons: 30-90 minutes.

- Fly between planets in a star system (varies widely): 6-12 hours.

- Fly from center of star system to its farthest limits (varies widely): 12-72 hours.

Hyperspace travel duration (multiply time by hyperdrive class):

- Within a sector: 10 to 24 hours.

- Within a region: 10 to 72 hours.

- Between regions: 3 days to 1 week.

- Across the galaxy: 1 to 3 weeks.

Edited by JonTheBold, 28 August 2013 - 02:08 PM.

• EldritchFire likes this

#2 Conviction

Conviction

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is great work.  I also like your Health and Recovery pdf.  Much thanks!

• JonTheBold likes this

#3 JonTheBold

JonTheBold

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks!  I find making these things helps to clarify my own understanding of the rules.

Also, I've updated the pdf to include cosmetic changes using the EotE dice font, and also to add a "falling" houserule which states that rolling a despair could cause a critical injury (seems logical).

#4 KingNova3000

KingNova3000

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Fantastic stuff, mate! This and your Health and Recovery PDF will come in handy next time I GM!

Keep up the good work. :)

#5 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is awesome thank you!  :)

Pedal to the Metal: During structured gameplay (e.g. combat), can spend 2 system strain and 2 pilot strain to gain a second maneuver (max 2 maneuvers/turn). If ship has multiple pilots (rare, silhouette 5+), they can ignore the 2 strain, but ship still takes system strain.

I think this is incorrect (quote above). On page 232. Silhouette 5+ can only benefit from 1 maneuver no matter how many pilots they have. They are just too big to take more than 1 maneuver.

Also, fjw70 changed his method slightly to:

After thinking about this a little more I have decided to modify my approach. I basically had two zone systems that were similar but different (one for individuals and one for vehicles) and I would like to use a single system for both to avoid confusion.

Now i have

same zone is engaged/close range
Short range is one zone away
Medium range is 2-3 zones away
Long range is 4-5 zones away
Extreme is 6+

It takes 1 maneuver to move zones for individuals and normal speed vehicles (speeds 2-4). Slow vehicles (speed 1) take two maneuvers to move 1 zone and fast vehicles (speeds 5-6) can move 2 zones with one move.

This is consistent enough with the rules in the book and easy to use. I think I am happy now.  :)

Edited by archon007, 29 September 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#6 Diggles

Diggles

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Maneuvers (page 200-203)
- Engage or disengage with someone

does that mean you are charging someone 2 maneuvers to move into melee striking distance of someone  that is short range from them?

Edited by Diggles, 29 September 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#7 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Maneuvers (page 200-203)
- Engage or disengage with someone

does that mean you are charging someone 2 maneuvers to move into melee striking distance of someone  that is short range from them?

The way I read it and have been playing is if you are in short range it takes 1 maneuver to "engage" them. If you are "engaged" it take 1 maneuver to move from engaged to short range. If you have played DnD think of it like a 5 foot step (1 maneuver to "disengage") then you can use another maneuver to move away.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS