Vassal, X-Wing on the Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

So has anyone else checked this out?  www.vassalengine.org You still need to own the game and all and it allows you to play completely online.  Me and my friends who live kinda far apart just found it and are going to give it a try.  Not that I don't like playing with the mini's themselves but 100 miles round trip isn't always acceptable.  If anyone does use it is there anything I should know?  Plus is anyone willing to play online?  Id be willing to give it a go to see how it runs.

Edited by Wookie Hunter, 28 August 2013 - 02:10 AM.

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

#2 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

Team covenant did a series of turorials on using it fir xwing.
The most important of which IMO was creating data logs of the pilots with stats etc ro make byilding squads mych quixker,
Too lazt to correct spelling on this crap phone.
Hope. it helps.

#3 Heilemann

Heilemann

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

I would truly love it if this worked. I looked into it a little bit, but it's fairly rudimentary. I would pay good money to play a great X-Wing Miniatures game on iPad, since most of my friends are scattered across the globe.

#4 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

I'm not bad with the Vassal backend, I could have a look into it.

#5 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

I just loaded it up, but no-one is there. :(

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#6 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

I was logged in but not on the server, looking into it...

#7 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Between Team Cov and BBG there's actually quite a few vassal players for X-Wing.   I've played with it and it works very well, but does take some getting used to and there's little to no real documentation.

#8 GrandMoffMatt

GrandMoffMatt

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

If it were me, I would rather have a new X-Wing game.  Like the old one.  

#9 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I love X-wing on Vassal!

Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's a very accurate representation of the physical game. There are a couple of people currently working to get Wave 3 uploaded, but it may take some time. There are also a few glitches (like the infamous Target Lock glitch), but there are ways to work around it. And sometimes the server loses connection in the middle of your game. But it's WAY better than not getting to play at all.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to schedule games so that you don't log on crossing your fingers that somebody else will happen to be available at the same time. I suppose we could start a thread in Organized Play if people want to check there, but there's got to be a more efficient way to schedule games than this forum format.

• Forensicus likes this

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#10 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

I love X-wing on Vassal!

Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's a very accurate representation of the physical game. There are a couple of people currently working to get Wave 3 uploaded, but it may take some time. There are also a few glitches (like the infamous Target Lock glitch), but there are ways to work around it. And sometimes the server loses connection in the middle of your game. But it's WAY better than not getting to play at all.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to schedule games so that you don't log on crossing your fingers that somebody else will happen to be available at the same time. I suppose we could start a thread in Organized Play if people want to check there, but there's got to be a more efficient way to schedule games than this forum format.

I agree. Check out the brilliant tutorials on YouTube made by some of the Team Covenant guys and then find/follow the tread on TeamCovenant, there have been 2-3 larger tournaments (to my knowledge) with participation of several of the best players out there including the current World Champion Hothie. And they are currently running a pirate league/campaign too. So install, practice and look out for games on the server, make sure that you are running 4.2 (version) mad the corresponding expansion/files then you should meet someone soon. Or post in here for games.

Good luck and enjoy

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#11 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Great responses, I look forward to learning how to play on Vassal and getting to know a few of ya in the game.

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS