Photo

Which character from literature, film, comic, etc. you think fit in the universe of arkham horror??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 thethingcarpenter

thethingcarpenter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi, i recently star play arkham horror with some friends, and we loved, the game is amazing, now we are playing with the dunwich expansion, and is great to.

Well, according to the topic, a trie to find characters to make news investigators with eons, but, we want to go with the game, we only have 2.

first, Roland Deschain, the gunslinger from the series "Dark tower"of stephen king, i think he is a good character to arkham, for people that dont know the history, Roland is the last member from a order of cavalry known as gunslinger. his only mission on life is find the dark tower to fix the his world, in the way he fight with demons, the dark men, an others threats who show up. As investigator, the story is that he is send for the dark men to arkham horror.

The second caracther is John Constantine, the guy from the series Hellblazer from Dc comics, in the comic is sometime like a cool shaman, always fight with demons, ghosts, well, a better explaination in the movie :D.

So. Which character you think be good in arkham?

PD: i apologize for the grammatical mistakes, my first language is spanish, and me english is not to good. Saludos. :) :) :)

Edited by thethingcarpenter, 27 August 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Your English is perfectly fine. Guess how many languages I know besides English? Go on, guess.

From what little I know about Steven King, I suspect characters from The Tower should work fine. However, unless you're looking for specific characters from Mythos stories, I recommend making your own or finding characters who were made specifically as custom Arkham characters (i.e. they do not appear anywhere else). That way you can nearly guarantee that they mesh well thematically.

#3 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

Arkham Horror is based on the fiction of H P Lovecraft and the set of writings that followed on (and in some cases pre-dated) the core stories. Depending on how Wold-Newton you wanted to be, there's a lot of literature from the twenties and thirties you can dig into.

Off the top of my head you could use Reginald Jeeves (1), Lord Greystoke, Richard Hannay, Bulldog Drummond and an aging Fu-Manchu as a Herald. Personally, I'd be more inclined to go after archetypes than specific characters, and leave named characters as allies and encounters.

(1) See http://s1113.photobu...k-Face.png.html for a pastiche

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#4 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, Dashiell Hammett characters would definitely fit thematically.  Hell...  Joe Diamond's a bootleg Sam Spade.  I'd also think Batman would fit into Arkham quite nicely ;')

#5 thethingcarpenter

thethingcarpenter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the answers, but, i was searching sometime a litle different. See, Roland Deschain, Jhon Constantine or Ash Williams (The guy from the Evil Dead movies), they have in common a certain of skills who made then good in a fight againts the monsters of Arkham. So, im looking that kind of characters, but that can be possible his present in arkham. example, roland deschain is sending for the Dark men, John Constantine was looking for a demon in Arkham city, Ash show up thanks to the Necronomicon. But. again, thanks for the names.

Ash williams

tumbaabierta_Ejercito_de_la_oscuridad_2-

Roland Deschain

torre-oscura-howard-universal.jpg

John Constantine

John-Constantine-by-Elena-Cassagrande.jp

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, Dashiell Hammett characters would definitely fit thematically.  Hell...  Joe Diamond's a bootleg Sam Spade.  I'd also think Batman would fit into Arkham quite nicely ;')

Especially if his starting location is the Asylum :whistling:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Especially if his starting location is the Asylum :whistling:

That was the implication ;'D

• Julia likes this

#8 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well Evil Dead with Ash IS Mythos based so it should fit perfectly. Characters from classic horror fiction would work very well. Frankenstein, Van Helsing, Mina Harker, Dr Jekyll etc etc

#9 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

You could also go for some Marvel superheros (or villains).  That was sort of done with The Thanos Imperative IIRC.

#10 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

The (classic Vertigo version) John Constantine would be great, but I think he's a child of the 80s. Fitting him into a 20s atmosphere is a bit off for me.

Howabout Dexter Drake's likely inspiration, Mandrake the Magician. Throw in The Phantom, Tarzan, Flash Gordon and Doc Savage and you have a hilariously pulpy squad ready to go.

I guess you could go with anyone from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic version) - in fact, there was a great HPL-influenced "Daughter of Nemo" one-shot that Moore and O'Neill created just last year.  I think it was called "Nemo: Heart of Ice", and has Nemo's daughter and her companions re-visiting the Mountains of Madness...

#11 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

As much as I understand the appeal of putting in just anybody, I still am one of those nay-sayers that says you shouldn't do it. It breaks the tone if, say, you put in someone whose Sanity is never a problem. Take for instance Ash--do go /nuts/ in the second film but it didn't stop him or hinder him at all by the third one. It just made him stronger.

People like Constantine, who essentially have 'seen it all' are immune ti Sanity-shattering by their very nature as characters.

If you /really/ want to look at characters from a movie, might I suggest Chicago?

Roxie Hart - Acquitted Murderess

Velma Kelly - Cabaret Dancer

Billy Flynn - Lawyer

Matron Morton - Prison Warden

These are just a few of the characters from a single show/movie that fit perfectly with the setting, have roles that suit the time period and would have issues facing sanity-crushing monstrosities. Truth be told, I can't watch Chicago without my mind thinking, 'Huh, while Velma is running through the alleway after killing her husband and sister, I wonder if those guys on the street corner might be cultists'.

#12 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Indiana Jones is a near perfect fit.  1920's-30's, an archaeologist dealing with supernatural artifacts, etc. 

http://www.boardgame...s-for-3-scenari

#13 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Roland Deschain can show up anywhere, in any time or universe- so he could stop in Arkham to help our world with our little problem, on his way to the Dark Tower.

His Fight and Will would be incredible- but his Luck would be awful. I'd give him 7 Stamina and 3 Sanity, but he'd always reduce Sanity losses by one. Anytime he draws a monster, keep drawing till you get one with at least 2 toughness (because bad things always happen to Roland)

Batman could fit into Arkham- the name "Arkham Asylum" was borrowed from Lovecraft- he's a dark character. But what equipment would he have in the 20s? Batman never uses guns, there were no crime computers or Batmobiles back then. He'd rely more on his own skills than equipment.

Parhaps there'd be a permanent curfew out on the masked vigilante- like the "Martial Law" in Innsmouth, but only for him. No Allies allowed except for Ruby Standish (who's practically Catwoman) He's faced Mythos horrors already in the comic books.

• Julia likes this

#14 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

Roland Deschain can show up anywhere, in any time or universe- so he could stop in Arkham to help our world with our little problem, on his way to the Dark Tower.

His Fight and Will would be incredible- but his Luck would be awful. I'd give him 7 Stamina and 3 Sanity, but he'd always reduce Sanity losses by one. Anytime he draws a monster, keep drawing till you get one with at least 2 toughness (because bad things always happen to Roland)

Batman could fit into Arkham- the name "Arkham Asylum" was borrowed from Lovecraft- he's a dark character. But what equipment would he have in the 20s? Batman never uses guns, there were no crime computers or Batmobiles back then. He'd rely more on his own skills than equipment.

Parhaps there'd be a permanent curfew out on the masked vigilante- like the "Martial Law" in Innsmouth, but only for him. No Allies allowed except for Ruby Standish (who's practically Catwoman) He's faced Mythos horrors already in the comic books.

Then why not just make a masked vigilante in the vein of Batman since it would make more sense thematically?

#15 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Then why not just make a masked vigilante in the vein of Batman since it would make more sense thematically?

::Shrug:: you could.  However, if someone wanted to use Batman in Arkham, there's enough tonal overlap that it wouldn't be totally jarring.  I could take it anyway ;') Anyway, I'd rather imagine Batman battling mythos monsters instead of some Batman knockoff ;'D I realize this is just personal preference though.

Edited by Avi_dreader, 09 September 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#16 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

::Shrug:: you could.  However, if someone wanted to use Batman in Arkham, there's enough tonal overlap that it wouldn't be totally jarring.  I could take it anyway ;') Anyway, I'd rather imagine Batman battling mythos monsters instead of some Batman knockoff ;'D I realize this is just personal preference though.

Oh, I know, I'm being 'that guy' when I comes to this, but it got me thinking. I suppose it could work for Batman, but you would have to find good art for it--like 'Pulp Batman' or something like that. Heck, you could make an 'Elseworlds' thing or even go so far as to name him as an ancestor to Bruce Wayne.

#17 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Indiana Jones is a near perfect fit.  1920's-30's, an archaeologist dealing with supernatural artifacts, etc. 

http://www.boardgame...s-for-3-scenari

I think you already have an Indiana Jones with Monterey (Archeologist, Bullwhip, 38er ... only a combat malus against serpent people is missing ;) )

• Julia likes this

#18 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

According to the Hitchiker's Guide- I mean, Wikipedia- Batman first appeared in 1939. The question arises, how old was Bruce Wayne when he first donned the Cowl? Probably at least 18-21 (I doubt Alfred would have let him fight crime till he came of age) Young master Bruce probably trained as best he could as a lad, then intensive training when he turned 18 (yes I'm going somewhere with this)

So... by 1939 he could have been as young as 18 but was more likely 25-30.

Which means....young master Bruce could have been old enough to have his own adventures in 1926 Arkham! By my reckoning he'd have been somewhere between 8-20 yrs old in '26. He'd certainly have been as old as Wendy Adams the urchin. No need for the cowl- young Bruce Wayne can go ahead and save Arkham anytime he wants!

• Julia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS