Voice of Isengard Discussion

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#301 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Foe-Hammer isn't a mono sphere card in any way...

Of course with the added depth comes a lack of breadth across multi-spheres.  As with all deck building, it's a balance.

There is no ballence in a mono-sphere deck.

As I though, I understand that the mono-sphere decks need to be at least viable and able to be used if you wish.. I just do not see why anyone would choose to. The very nature of them restricts you to only a sinlge deck, and single play style. You have no flexability in your game... it is just the exact opposite of what deck building is about, witch for me is building a deck of answers.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#302 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Foe-Hammer isn't a mono sphere card in any way...

Of course with the added depth comes a lack of breadth across multi-spheres.  As with all deck building, it's a balance.

There is no ballence in a mono-sphere deck.

As I though, I understand that the mono-sphere decks need to be at least viable and able to be used if you wish.. I just do not see why anyone would choose to. The very nature of them restricts you to only a sinlge deck, and single play style. You have no flexability in your game... it is just the exact opposite of what deck building is about, witch for me is building a deck of answers.

If you have not tried mono spirit hobbits your missing out. Ha!
  • Chris51261, chuckles and Scroll Lock like this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#303 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I really hope ring-maker will bring some love for 2heroes deck. Probably yes, as we will see Secrecy.

Honestly, I can not imagine some card that gives some specific advantages to 2-heroes deck, but I am sure Caleb can make something innovative with his team.

I really like secrecy, but it is not built yet. I think (and hope) its main sphere will be spirit. Maybe some Silvan hero, that reduces your threat for playing secrecy cards... I can only dream.

#304 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Moderator: Would it be possible to create a new thread on monosphere decks and transfer the applicable posts on this thread over?  We're getting a little off-topic.

Foe-Hammer isn't a mono sphere card in any way...  [et al.] 

Any card that shores up a sphere's weaknesses can be considered a strong monosphere card: for Tactics cards that aid in resource acceleration (Horn of Gondor), card draw (foe-hammer), and healing (Gondorian Discipline) are all strong candidates for a mono-tactics deck. 

A Four player game is the opposite extreme that will build a case for monosphere decks.  Four quad sphere decks will not be as efficient as four monosphere decks.  Each of the monosphere decks will have the depth needed to use the best cards possible.  Breadth is attained by all four decks working together.

Now, this efficiency is reduced as we go from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 player.  And, it is at its worse with one player.

it is just the exact opposite of what deck building is about, witch for me is building a deck of answers.

Here is a not so clever analogy. 

A "Deck of Answers" is like always having the right shaped peg to fit into the right shaped hole.  There is a balance of spheres that will be able to confront any challenge. 

A monosphere deck is like having only one peg that is made out of steel, and you have a very large hammer.  Even if a square hole comes along, you just slam that peg through the hole anyway to solve the problem. The bluntness of this approach is softened by monosphere friendly cards that soften a deck and start to make it well rounded. 

ex/ who needs healing when a direct damage tactics deck kills enemies before they can even attack in the first place.

#305 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's time for VoI to get of that freaking boat already.
Come on, it's been over 2 months! Did the ship sink or something?
Man I hope it will change to shipping status this week.
Been long enough, even if it was printed on Sri Lanka or something.
  • tomtom, Djenni, chuckles and 1 other like this
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#306 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Did the ship sink or something?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#307 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Stupid Aragorn and his ghost army raided the wrong ship!

• Karlson and Scroll Lock like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#308 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Stupid Aragorn and his ghost army raided the wrong ship!

"You may go no further. You will not enter Gondor circulation!"  

#309 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Maybe Somalian pirates are holding our preciousssss cargo hostage...
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#310 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Maybe Somalian pirates are holding our preciousssss cargo hostage...

No, no, NO! They can't be that cruel. Take something else, please!

#311 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

We'll know if all cards are water damaged when we get them!
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#312 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Now we know the real reason why they shrink-wrap their expansions.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#313 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

It would be really nice if someone from FFG could post a message or send out a tweet or anything really giving us a heads up as to when we should expect VoI to hit the stores. I'm trying to budget my monthly gaming money and if this thing isn't going to be on the shelves for another 2 months I'll spend this month's money on something else ( like the new diskwars game!)

#314 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

don't bother with the new diskwars game... not unless you want another monthly bill

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#315 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

Just a little tidbit for you guys, I asked Cristi Balenescu about his illustration for one of the VoI quest cards.

It depicted a scene of battle with a lone rider moving away. He confirmed that this is Grima fleeing the battle. Might suggest getting Grima as an objective ally...

http://cristi-b.devi...-Ford-430571029

#316 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

don't bother with the new diskwars game... not unless you want another monthly bill

Just curious about this. The game looks really fun, but what would cause it to give me another monthly bill? Is there going to be some sort of regular expansion cycle?

#317 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Just curious about this. The game looks really fun, but what would cause it to give me another monthly bill? Is there going to be some sort of regular expansion cycle?

It is a FFG game.. there will be tons of expansions!

Even if it wasn't it is a wargame, it just uses discs instead of minis. So it is even easier for FFG to produce new units for commanders to field. I would expect new races, units, scenarios in addition to new mechanisms in a fairly regular cycle.

#318 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Woses are news or Tolkien speak about them in any place?

Edited by Mndela, 13 February 2014 - 10:05 AM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#319 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Mndela: Woses helped Théoden to avoid Orcs when he went with his army to Pellenor fields.

#320 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Speaking of which, I really hope to see Wose allies or even hero(es) in future.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS