Speed Arkham vs. Playing Fast

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Despite several years of playing AH and nearly 100 games logged on Tibs' sheet, sometimes I have to remember to slow down.  This last game, which pitted Dasiy, Mandy, Jim, and Vincent against Hastur should have gone much better.  From the outset, things looked okay given our starting possessions and skills, which included Daisy having Credit Rating.

While I attended the AH Event several years ago and possess the Hastur from there, I don't use him...I'm kind of sentimental to the original one.  Having said that, he's tough when you have to garner eight vice five Clue Tokens.  While my Variant rules disallow any Gates to open anywhere but Arkham (I play with all expansions) for the first four turns, along with ignoring all Environment cards (for KiY), Rumors, and Double-Doomers (it rhymes, which I like!), we still managed to have two Gates on Arkham by the time we started Turn five.   

People raced into Gates too quickly without the requisite number of Clue Tokens; I had forgotten on at least one occasion to have Jim spend a Clue Token to vanquish a Wraith; Daisy should have definitely made use of her Credit Rating for moving to-and-from the various towns instead of serving on Kingsport Duty; and Mandy didn't always use her Special Ability. 

Despite some serious mis-steps on my part, all of the Investigators managed to whittle Hastur's Doom Tokens down to two before Daisy, Jim, and Vincent were devoured.  Mandy joined them one turn later.  One of the bright spots was a Mythos card which flooded the streets, making any travel plans to Innsmouth much easier.  In sum, if you want to learn the ways of Speed Arkham, talk to Julia...if you want some tips on slowing down; taking your time; and ensuring that you're doing the right thing, I'll certainly help you out.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Despite some serious mis-steps on my part, all of the Investigators managed to whittle Hastur's Doom Tokens down to two before Daisy, Jim, and Vincent were devoured.  Mandy joined them one turn later.  One of the bright spots was a Mythos card which flooded the streets, making any travel plans to Innsmouth much easier.  In sum, if you want to learn the ways of Speed Arkham, talk to Julia...

:laughter:

you know, the problem's Vincent...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

second only to me!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS