I can't wait to try this game out...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

I guess I will need to get some decks built and games played on OCTGN as there is only 2-3 players in my area.

I have just watched the Intro video's.. They were quite well done and easy to follow.

So far I have purchased 1x Core Set, 1x EoD Expansion, and the 4x Force Packs.

I hope to get a deck built and make an appearance on OCTGN soon.

Cheers.

P.S: Is there a Skype group for the SW:LCG OCTGN playerbase? If there is, could someone please let me know how to join it? Thanks in advance.

• GroggyGolem likes this

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#2 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

I would love to play this, but I feel like I'm too far behind to get into it now. Do you have to get the core set to play, or can I jump in with some of the newer expansions somewhere?

#3 Elrathion

Elrathion

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Start with core x2 EOD x2 and you will be right upto speed. The game doesn't have a huge learning curve compared to some other games. I started end of June and have been able to compete very well.

As far as investment goes, while it isn't cheap, it's by far the cheapest game I have played. At $10 a forcepack it's nothing compared to buying booster packs hoping to get that rare you need x4.

If you need any help learning the game, I'll be glad to help. We have a great community with champions like TinyGrimes, TeamCovenant, Bazeleel, TGO, ... sharing a lot of content online which can help you a lot too.

Good luck!

• GroggyGolem likes this

#4 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Start with core x2 EOD x2 and you will be right upto speed. The game doesn't have a huge learning curve compared to some other games. I started end of June and have been able to compete very well.

As far as investment goes, while it isn't cheap, it's by far the cheapest game I have played. At $10 a forcepack it's nothing compared to buying booster packs hoping to get that rare you need x4.

If you need any help learning the game, I'll be glad to help. We have a great community with champions like TinyGrimes, TeamCovenant, Bazeleel, TGO, ... sharing a lot of content online which can help you a lot too.

Good luck!

Cheers for the info. Guess I'll have to get a 2nd of each Core & EoD. That may be a while however. I'm still getting used to the deck building atm, slowly reading each Obj and it's related cards (to try and make a not-so-embarrassing deck). Once I get something built that I am remotely happy with, I'll definitely be looking for games on OCTGN.

Team Covenant on YouTube... I have watched pretty much every one of their SW:LCG and AGoT:LCG videos. They are extremely enjoyable and helpful to watch. A lot better, I must admit, than a lot of the others out there.

Once I get a deck organised, and the required bravery to put myself at the mercy of someone on OCTGN, I'll be sure to give you a PM and try and organised a game. (Read: Get you to teach me how to play (properly) and use OCTGN better) ;) .

Cheers

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#5 navypirate83

navypirate83

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

i still only have Core Set x1 and 3x Packs.  When I take it over to a friends to play we usually play a "draft" style.  We pick two Affiliation cards at random to show which  ones we pull from.  Then we take all the Objective cards from those two affiliations and the neutral Objective cards (except for those that say "one per objective deck") and shuffle them together.  We then draw 10 of those at random, pick out the rest of the Objective Sets and there's our deck.  To choose what affiliation we are, we go along with whichever one has the least Objectives.  It's made for some pretty interesting games.  (And yes, I plan on buying one more core set and 2x EoD when I get the money to, but even then, we'll still play this way just to use all the cards).

#6 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yes, with LCGs, it is helpful to get in on the ground floor. Unlike games with rotations (e.g., Magic), the cards are forever a part of the card pool (unless there are restrictions/bans, but that hasn't happened to too many AGoT cards yet, and no SW cards -- and, when it does, it doesn't mean that you don't want the packs that those cards were a part of, so it really isn't an issue with respect to buy-in). 

So, with something like MTG Type 2 competitive play, the buy-in at any given time is roughly equivalent; you need a few booster boxes of whatever the current core is, and also some of the expansions that are currently legal in the format. 

But, with LCGs, the buy-in continues to grow the longer that the game has been around. 

Upkeep is another issue entirely. I am talking specifically about buy-in here. 

I have been playing AGoT since the LCG, as well as SW. Netrunner looks amazing and excellent. But, since I didn't get into it around launch, I simply never will. Everyone is different. That is just me. I think that LCGs are the most fun when you are with them from birth. 

It is also worthwhile to note that to buy into an older LCG is still more cost-effective in the long term than trying to keep up with a CCG like MTG. Booster boxes, last I checked, were 80-90 USD, and you would need a few for the current core set, and a few of each legal block...you would be spending hundreds and hundreds to have a nice solid card pool to play from. You can get into even the oldest LCGs for less. 

Edited by divinityofnumber, 27 August 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Net runner only has 1 cycle and 1 deluxe so far. I don't see that as being alot to catch up on. Game is barely a year old. It is still much cheaper to buy in to any LCG than mtg. A competitive mtg deck cost you several hundred dollars.

#8 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well... I've mustered together 2 decks. 1x of each 'side'. Now I guess I just need to find an OCTGN (and SW:LCG) teacher. At least I'll make for an easy win, for my opponent.

Timezone being GMT +10 blows chunks though. Lucky for me I barely sleep.

Edited by DarkFather, 27 August 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#9 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Welcome to the game! It is totally worth your time to learn. If no one else helps you out, drop me a line. We can totally find some time. I have next monday off entirely, so would be available anytime during that day ...

• GroggyGolem likes this

Welcome to the machine!

#10 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the offer MJAdam.

Well, The force was strong with me this afternoon. Walked into LGS and they had JUST gotten an order in... a Core set of SW:LCG was on the shelf... well it's now my #2 core set.

I set about making Jedi and Sith decks, got to have 2 games at the LGS, and won both. Woot!

Now to put these decks on OCTGN and then organise for someone to teach me how to use the software.

#11 PasteE

PasteE

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

I purchased the core set when it came out but only played my first game with another human about a week ago.  I have (1) core set, (1) EoD, and a (2) hoth packs, but have picked it up pretty quickly.  Just getting in now doesn't seem to be a hinderance at all.  I started on OCTGN recently, pretty easy to learn once you get the deck building down, and it helps a lot.  The game is a lot of fun and I would say keep with it and try and get a community up at your FLGS.

You've just taken your first step into a larger world.

#12 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

PasteE... I saw you hosting a game on OCTGN earlier. Unfortunately I was busy and couldn't join. I'll have to keep an eye out for your username, and join in on your next game.

My OCTGN username is darkfather, incase you see me hosting and feel like laughing at a n00b. ;)

Cheers

(P.S:) As a side note, my son purchased a 2nd copy of Edge of Darkness for me for father's day... so now I have 2x Core, 2x EoD, and 1x each of the 1st 4 hoth force packs. #'s 5 & 6 are unobtainable in Australia atm. GRRR 

I want to support my LGS... but the wait on these force packs is killing me.

Edited by DarkFather, 01 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#13 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

Enjoy and welcome! This is a great game. I rather enjoy the wait for the cards. I played SWCCG for about 7 years, and with the anticipation of new cards gone, it lost much of its steam ...

Welcome to the machine!

#14 derekwildstar

derekwildstar

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

DarkFather,

I'm new to the game as well, and have no one in my area to play with.  I've been playing test games in OCTGN, but not with other people.  So, if you're interested in getting a game together let me know.  Currently my user on OCTGN is dunagrad, but I'm going to see if I can change it to derekwildstar.  I do have two kids, so my playtime is limited with possible interruptions.  Hence the reason I haven't actually asked anyone to play on OCTGN, yet.  I tend to be available for play in the evenings after 9, but I'm off during the day on Fridays with no kids.  Also, I'm on Eastern Time.  Hope to see you online.

#15 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

I need to get OCTGN finally... I have mostly just been playing this game with my friends or family.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#16 WillisRBC

WillisRBC

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

So I've never heard of OCTGN.  I've been wanting to play this game for a while, but there's not local player base for me.  If I were to get my hands on just a core set, would I be able to play using OCTGN?

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

OCTGN is a free computer program used to play card games online. It is not officially supported by any of the owners of the games on it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS