Species speculation for Force and Destiny

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TCBC Freak

TCBC Freak

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

We know the races in EotE, and now the species in AoR.

Humans (Both), Bothans (Both), Droids (Both), Gand (EotE), Rodians (EotE), Trandoshans (EotE), Twi’leks (EotE), Wookiee (EotE), Duros (AoR), Gran (AoR), Ithorian (AoR), Mon Calamari (AoR), and Sullustan (AoR)

So I wanted to speculate on the races that might come out with the last game, I know it’s over a year before we even hear much about it, but I just wanted to toss my own ideas out there.

Human for sure, they are the most populous of species and they produce a high percentage of force users. Not to mention the players are human and a lot of players like to play humans to learn the game most of all.

Next I was thinking another iconic Jedi race, the Zabrak (or Iridonians), Darth Maul was one but also a bunch of other well know force users have been Zabrak, and they also can fit into the other two games easy.

Another race that is known for its Jedi is the Kel Dor. They have a strong force tradition and had some of the great Jedi of the past from their race. Plus they have that alien factor like the Gand.

The Cerean are another obvious choice in my mind depending on how much they want being a Jedi to be the focus. If they expect only a few PC's or all the PC’s to be Jedi then the Cerean’s fit really well as they are well rounded like the Zabrak but still have that, “I’ve seen these guys as Jedi before,” factor which is a good thing.

The last of the Jedi focused races could be the Iktotchi. They have natural force affinity and are well known as Jedi, but this one is a group I’m less certain about.

The Twi’leks could make a return I think, several well known Jedi but with the option to be something else too which I’m sure the book will have some rules for playing none force users, which leads me to my next option…

Droids. I know they can’t use the force (unless you are pulling the really obscure EU out of the air) but still I think they might have a great place, after all, R2 and 3PO were still integral to Anakin in 1-3 and Luke in 4-6 doing their things. Another reason I see the Twi'leks and Driods coming back is that they had three return from EotE to AoR and I see them carrying over a three returning species idea, but I doubt that the Bothans would show up again, they don't have a strong force tradition and have showed up in two games already thanks in large part to their history as spies.

As the 8th race I’ve not decided my idea, but I’ve narrowed it down. I think either Torgruta (a few well known Jedi but still have that option to do other stuff), Ewok (because of where the book may fall in the time line, they are a curious race and learn quickly and they do spread out into the galaxy at large after Return of the Jedi, not to mention the fan factor), Nautolan (a well-known Jedi in Kit and have a cool look and some options beyond the force), Chagrian ( the least likely in my mind of this list but they are integral to the New Republic and had some force history, some of the more disciplined Jedi in the past were Chagrian), or Devaronian (not only do they have a force tradition but I think they would be highly backwards compatible to the other games, even better than the Zabrak who are really the only other race I can think to add that really should have a place in EotE and AoR, plus they are a fav of mine, lol).

Thoughts?

Edited by TCBC Freak, 26 August 2013 - 11:01 PM.

I wish I lived around people who actullay played games instead of just calling themselves gamers....

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm really in favour of a lot of prequel races in that book. Not because I think the prequels are the bee's knees (I don't, particularly), but because races like Kel Dor, Zabrak and Togruta really recall the 'more civilized age'.

Apart from that, I totally agree about the Ewoks (too iconic not to include), and I'd personally love to see the Gotal - not force users per se, but their sensory abilities would be a good fit for that book.

I'm gonna see if I can come up with a species list that draws purely from the OT...

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 26 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#3 Digiblade

Digiblade

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'd like to see the Miraluka, but they were in pretty low numbers by the time of the Empire. It would be interesting to see what FFG does with their Force Sight ability.

I'll agree about the prequel races, Zebrak, Kel Dor, Togruta, Nautolan and Cerean all seem like solid choices.

Ewoks are about as likely as Jawas.

There are other iconic races to consider a possibility though, even if they aren't the most popular choices (after all, who are fans of the Gran? I can understand there being fans of Sullustan because they speak a real african language).

So we can't rule out Bith, Gamorreans, Gungans, or Geonosians.

With the randomness of Gran and being Sullustan in there, I wouldn't even be surprised if they threw in Ortolan, to be honest.

• EldritchFire likes this

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

If we get a repeat other than humans, I hope its the Gand so we can see a Force Specialization that deals with the Findsmen.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Collinsas

Collinsas

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Although they may be nearing (if  they are not simply out right) extinction, I would like to see the Pureblood Sith make an appearance.

Edited by Collinsas, 27 August 2013 - 02:15 AM.

#6 Saseav

Saseav

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

Zabraks, Miraluka(sp?), Ithorians, Tw'ileks, Anzati, Kel Dor Humans togrutasare some of the species who've impacted the orders a lot.

Cereans are fine, but males are so rare it might be a problem

Anzati might not make it in due to the whole space vampire thing.

Purebloods, purebloods are dead. but some of  the warrior castes may still exist somewhere. 

• Endrik Tenebris likes this

#7 Poseur

Poseur

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

I would really like to see both Kel Dor and Togruta. Kel Dor becouse they look like a sexy and cool version of the Gand. And they are a personal favorite of mine. 

Togruta, becouse Ashoka, which is an awesome character, at least in the last two seasons or so of the Clone Wars. And Togruta is looking like a more civilized and sexy version of the Twi'leks, without the kinkyness.

• Endrik Tenebris likes this

#8 Saseav

Saseav

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

If we get a repeat other than humans, I hope its the Gand so we can see a Force Specialization that deals with the Findsmen.

doesn't sense basically cover the basics of what findsmen do?

#9 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Possibly, but it's also possible that something more specific might be made that fits them even better.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#10 strongarm85

strongarm85

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Miraluka make strong candidates as well seeing as the whole species is force sensitive. 

I bet that Force and Destiny will be the one book we don't see droids printed in, and it's a good bet Bothans will get skipped too.

#11 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'd place my bets on Kel Dor, Zabrack, maybe Nautolan, Torgruta

Maybe Barabel, if they're going to pull from the EU.

#12 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Personally I am hoping for the "All Furry" edition of species to be included in F&D: Lepi, Squib, Talz, Cathar, Togorian and Whiphids. :lol:

#13 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'd place my bets on Kel Dor, Zabrack, maybe Nautolan, Torgruta

These would be what I would think also... at least 3 of these.

#14 Saseav

Saseav

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Possibly, but it's also possible that something more specific might be made that fits them even better.

if there's some sorcery/ritual spec that might work? would also allow the sorcerers of tund and a few other sects.

#15 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

My guesses: Human, Zabrak, Togruta, Cerean, Nautolan.

Would love to see Miraluka but I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Edited by Venthrac, 27 August 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#16 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

IMO, Zabrak is gauranteed

#17 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Apart from that, I totally agree about the Ewoks (too iconic not to include), and I'd personally love to see the Gotal - not force users per se, but their sensory abilities would be a good fit for that book.

Those two really belong in splats, not core books.

#18 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Seeing how the focus has been on OT, Its pretty safe to say there will be no Prequel species in F&D. i figure human, yodas, and more humans?

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Those two really belong in splats, not core books.

I guess I agree as far as Gotals go, but Ewoks have been playable right out of the gate in pretty much every swrpg so far. Love 'em or hate 'em, their iconic status can't be denied.

#20 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Seeing how the focus has been on OT, Its pretty safe to say there will be no Prequel species in F&D. i figure human, yodas, and more humans?

Except I doubt that we're ever going to see stats for Yoda's species, as that's one of the few great secrets of the Star Wars mythos.  Yoda is pretty much "the wise & ancient master" in terms of the Hero's Journey, and works better if we don't really know what he is or what system his species is from.

As far as species with a connection to the Jedi and/or the Force, if you stick to just the OT, then the options start growing very thin very quickly.

Humans are a given, and we'll probably see Twi'leks as they've had a number of Jedi representatives in the EU, most notably Aayla Secura.  I figure Zabraks would be a good option, as would Togruta in spite them being Prequel/Clone Wars material, the later thanks to the general popularity of Ahsoka Tano and the former due to Darth Maul's fame.  Nautalons and Cereans are also likely options.

Since droids can't be Force-users, I doubt we'll see them get reprinted a third time (first in EotE, second in AoR).  Gand, Mon Calamari, and Sullustans might be options, but again they'd just be reprints.  Though I may not have wanted to do conversions for them for the USM, the Kel Dor are certainly an option,as would be the Iktochi.

Could also be that FFG won't offer a full eight species as they've done with the other two books, especially as the list of options starts dwindling to some rather edge cases for possible PC races.

I highly doubt we'll see species that only showed up in the KOTOR-era setting such as Miraluka or Sith Purebloods, at least not in the core rulebook.  Same would go for Cathar, which is a species I wouldn't mind seeing get an official treatment at some point down the road.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS