Photo

From miniatures to bigatures - capital ships and X-Wing Bigatures.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

So, this won't be so much a miniatures game anymore with people walking around with models a foot or two long. From the Rebel Transport and Tantive IV to the now rumored Star Destroyer, this is no longer just a matter of minis.

Welcome to X-Wing Bigatures. 

When (not "if" if the rumors are true) they come out with Star Destroyers, I plan to buy at least three. Now, how will everyone transport all their bigatures to their FLGS? Several barrack boxes may be needed and even a friend's pick-up truck. Imagine the Battle of Endor being played at your FLGS with these wonderful monstrosities! Where will we find the room just to play?

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to the wonderful craziness that will become the X-Wing Bigatures game.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#2 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

I realize there is some level of sarcasm in this post, however..

I would pay a good deal and drive quite a ways to see and participate in an X-Wing game with 2 + more or less in scale Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers.

• Darthfish likes this

#3 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

Why the fuss?  FG will absolutely not make anyone buy any of these "bigatures".  It is purely player option.  FFG is also keeping separate formats for different formats of play.  No matter what the differing views of the players, I just see win-win here for everyone.

But for the record I prefer "Hugeitures" done in correct scale.  Yes, that would have to limit the available ships to the very smallest of vessels.

Enimo Et Fide

#4 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

I can just see guys pulling in to their local game stores with Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers on trailers.

#5 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hell, the Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers might be pulling the trailers...

I can just see a 60ft super-jumbo RV retrofitted to look like the Executor...

#6 Overmanwarrior

Overmanwarrior

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

I realize there is some level of sarcasm in this post, however..

I would pay a good deal and drive quite a ways to see and participate in an X-Wing game with 2 + more or less in scale Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers.

Me too!  I can't wait!

Somewhere along a hyperspace lane on my way back to the Republic Fleet,

Overmanwarrior

Jedi Covenant, The Old Republic

#7 Moore1980

Moore1980

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

"Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses".

-Vader

• Forensicus likes this

#8 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Here is a nice interview with Hovarth, amongst soooo much other stuff they discuss scale at around 49 minutes 

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#9 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Y'know, a ~20ft. Star Destroyer is possible, if you use a mural painted to look like one instead of an actual "bigature." Of course, that presumes you have a wall to hang it on in the first place . . .

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#10 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

I can just see guys pulling in to their local game stores with Star Destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers on trailers.

Cool, my truck has a 24,000lbs tow rating.

Enimo Et Fide

#11 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Cool, my truck has a 24,000lbs tow rating.

Great. You can bring the Executor.

• aadh likes this

#12 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

We're gonna need more x-wings then!

Enimo Et Fide

#13 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Maxitures would have been more clever.

#14 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

You know, around 20 years ago or so at Gen Con in Milwaukee there used to be group that brought a scale Victory Star Destroyer on a flight stand with casters (I think it was around 6-8 feet long) against a scale armada of rebel craft.  The fighters were small fight stands using micro machines X-Wings & Tie Fighters.  I really wish I had pictures of it, as there are many times I've thought about how something like that would work with X-Wing.

#15 Terrano

Terrano

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

As much as I wish FFG would produce Star Destroyers, Interdictor Cruisers, Mon Cal Star Cruisers, Nebulon B (I absolutely want one of those I simply love the looks) etc. I would probably go bancrupt if they actually did it :)

I would be one of those nuts that simply has to have a 10+ capital battle with 50+ fighters zipping around occupying a whole room for the fight that would take a week to play out.

• aadh, Joker Two and MajorJuggler like this

#16 Jaxom08

Jaxom08

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

is with Terrano on that one......... I would so break my bank to have a bunch of the capitol ship,lol

#17 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Storage would be an issue!

Enimo Et Fide

#18 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

You just have to make it so the model serves a dual purpose.

Like, a roof.

#19 James G Graham

James G Graham

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Large ships would be an awesome site on the tabletop but they would have to extend the map size a bit to compensate but still very interesting to play. To play with ships any larger then the corvette would really just be another game and It would end up as two separate games being played at the same time. Which would be interesting but overly complicated. I however would definitely try it once.

#20 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

They should make the tantive 4 and star destroyer open up so we can use them as a carrying case and a miniature.

Tantive and any capital ship larger than it should be about the same size. A little suspension of disbelief here so they can actually see the table top in any useable sense.

Edited by Arthur Volts, 11 February 2014 - 09:35 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS