Thinking about starting Call of Cthulhu

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Blutsteigen

Blutsteigen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Just to clarify, Seekers of Knowledge is the Miskatonic deluxe expansion. It is not a cycle of packs. Currently, there are 6 deluxe expansions:

1. Secrets of Arkham (about to be reprinted in revised format)
  2. The Order of the Silver Twilight (introduces ST)
  3. Seekers of Knowledge (Miskatonic)
  4. The Key and the Gate (Yog-Sothoth)
  5. Terror in Venice (thematic box with all factions expanding ideas of Conspiracies and Day/Night mechanic)
  6. Denizens of the Underworld (Syndicate - released tomorrow)

There are 7 cycles, each with 6 packs:

1. Forgotten Lore (the most thematic from mythos standpoint, only has original 7 factions, no ST)
  2. Summons of the Deep (also only original 7 factions)
  3. Dreamlands (largely unavailable but scheduled for reprint)
  4. Yuggoth Contract (also only original 7 factions - expands on some faction subthemes like Mi-Go for example)
  5. Rituals of the Order (first cycle to have all 8 factions)
  6. Ancient Relics (introduces new story deck and Relic support cards)
  7. Revelations (very thematic cycle with lots of Tomes and cool conspiracies for each faction - last of the cycles)

My apologies for the confusion Danigral -- I intended to say, "Summons of the Deep Packs," not "Seekers of Knowledge" asylum packs. Probably made you feel like you had to start with square one for me.

The descriptions and + extra info on each of the seven you offered is incredibly helpful, however. Thank you.

Edited by Blutsteigen, 30 January 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#22 Blutsteigen

Blutsteigen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

@ Yipe --  I'll definitely get back to you on the appeal of Hastur and Cthulhu.  

I will put Shifting Sands and Into Tartarus on our buy-list for sure.

Another Question gents:

I could probably easily pick up the whole Yuggoth cycle in the 60 card form.  As Danigral said the series 

expands on some faction subthemes like Mi Go.

BUT, should we perhaps hold off on those until later, and save money for earlier releases as well as the ones discussed above? What's your quick take on the quality and necessity of the Yugoth cycle?

Edited by Blutsteigen, 30 January 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#23 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Blutsteigen,

You might find this thread helpful.  Scroll down a bit for info on the Asylum Pack cycles.

#24 Blutsteigen

Blutsteigen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Blutsteigen,

You might find this thread helpful.  Scroll down a bit for info on the Asylum Pack cycles.

Thank you kindly. I think i'm well armed to spend some money now. Cheers to you both.

#25 cakey

cakey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

I have just picked this up today, it's my first card game since trying MTG about 8 years ago. I am a little confused about deck creation, I only have the core set and I have read that it's best to make a deck with one or two factions, however even with two factions, I would have to take all of the neutral cards available to make a deck of at least 50 cards, to make a second deck of 50 cards I would have to use 3 factions and the remaining few neutral cards. For now are two decks of 43 cards enough? That seems to be the maximum size I can have with two full factions from the core set + 3 neutral cards. I do intend to purchase Secrets of Arkham once it's available again. 

#26 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

First, welcome to the best LCG! :D

To get started quickly, if you have a single core set, it is assumed that you use the quick 'deck-building' rules described in the core set. I.e. you combine the cards from two factions ( 20 cards each*) with seven of the neutral cards (the neutral conspiracy is not used).

While these 'starter decks' are not tournament legal, they are sufficient to learn the rules and get to know the factions' capabilities.

Once you have more cards, you can mix any number of factions in a single deck and should stick with a minimum of 50 cards.

*: Note, that due to a misprint, the Miskatonic faction is one card short: Steve Clarney has been accidentally assigned to the Agency faction. But as long as you are still playing casually, you could treat him as a Miskatonic character, if you prefer.

• Danigral and cakey like this

#27 cakey

cakey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

Many thanks. That clears that up. For now I will probably just be playing against my wife or daughter at home, and roping some friends into playing with my cards. I will be re-watching those great videos as well that FFG have put out. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS