Photo

FFG Sez Contradictions / Clarifications?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

I don't rush to call a game effect an oversight.
The challenge is to place monsters in a way that makes the opponents tactic less efficient.
For an example have them need to move, to disperse, etc.

I mean, if as an OL I am complaining that surges give too much power to the heroes, will I decree that surges are not applicable, to solve my problem?
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#22 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

I don't rush to call a game effect an oversight.
The challenge is to place monsters in a way that makes the opponents tactic less efficient.
For an example have them need to move, to disperse, etc.

I mean, if as an OL I am complaining that surges give too much power to the heroes, will I decree that surges are not applicable, to solve my problem?

It's not about the surges so much as having cards that can be passed around and used four times in a round. Mana Weave isn't the only one that can do that. I wouldn't want flash powder to be passed about either. But the tactic like that is hard to pull off as well. Everyone would have to move like a well oiled train and really tight. If anyone has a slow character, there is a tight disadvantage.

So the question is, does one let their heroes abuse this card and they move a little slower and yet mows down anything and everything in their path (which I find they do this anyways), or do we take away that option entirely and the group moves more at the speed the OL can create for them?

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#23 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

This is getting quite a bit off topic, but you have to remember that passing Mana Weave along can only be done on a move action, which could be sacrificing another action. Additionally, that move action would have to be AFTER the attack action, so it's really unlikely this is a first turn tactic unless you have all ranged units or the OL stacked enemies on top of the melee units. If it's passed to a hero on their turn (which is possible), then as far as I know, it would stay tapped since the start of their turn already happened.

Actions are possibly the biggest resource heroes have, and sacrificing what could be an entire attack just so that someone else can get a surge they may not use is a pretty big cost, which balances things out. So while it's possible for this situation to occur, I doubt it's a huge imbalance like you make it out to be.

#24 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Got a response from Justin on both counts.

TL;DR: Both FFG responses currently stand.

• Melee attacks need 0 range, which may end up in the Errata later on since nowhere is that included in the rules and it's not just based on 1e rules.
  • Army of Death: the "attack originates from the hero" was only meant to refer to Line of Sight issues, not the attack itself.

It's sort of a conglomeration of both of your options there. Essentially, melee attacks do check for range, but that range is considered to be 0. This is irrespective of any rules from 1st Edition (related, perhaps, but not used as current justification). We cannot say that melee attacks ignore range, as then Stealthy would have no effect on them.

No, there are unfortunately not written rules to this regard, but at some point perhaps this will be added to the FAQ/Errata.

To your second question. When an attack is said to be performed by a familiar, it is not as though the hero is using the familiar as a weapon: it is specifically the familiar performing the attack.

To the contradiction from the "Arcane Secrets Revealed":

Something to keep in mind is that marketing text and the interpretations therein are not necessarily guaranteed to be ironclad rulings on the way things work in the games themselves. Preferably, they shouldn't be just plain wrong, but it's entirely possible that they may confuse or not completely reflect the mechanics.

That being said, this particular instance still does not precisely contradict how the card works and the ruling I presented. The attack is performed by the Reanimate, but the line of sight is measured from the Necromancer. In the case of the article, "originates" was placed in the article to clarify that the Necromancer was the figure from which line of sight was to be measured, not specifically the subject performing the attack. I understand that this is splitting hairs somewhat, but I then refer you to my statement on marketing text not being ironclad in rules description.

Hopefully that should sort things out decently enough.

#25 Cursain

Cursain

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Some heroes have weapons that move monsters. I'd like to know where the placement of the shadow dragon (1 red) would be if the adjacent scout rolled two surges and used one of them to "move the target 1 space".  Please review this picture https://www.dropbox....nster Moved.jpg

Would it actually get pushed to one of the grey ovals?

https://www.dropbox....nster Moved.jpg

----------------FFG Response----------------------

Hey Cursain,

Nope, if the figure wouldn't be eligible to "expand" into the space it would be moved to, it cannot be moved into that space. Even if such a thing were possible and the "closest empty space" rule triggered, the closest empty spaces in your example would be the one from which the dragon originated.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com

#26 Cursain

Cursain

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Steelhorns has the abiltiy to move monsters to the next availble space when using his heroic ability.  I asked FFG the same question as above, except in regards to Steelhorns special.  This is what Justin had to say

---------------------------------------------------------

Hey Cursain,

In this particular case, (in contrast to my previous answer) since the figure *must* be moved, it would indeed be placed in a fashion not dissimilar from what you've shown in the image.

However, it depends upon the precise situation of when Steelhorns enters the occupied space during his Heroic Feat. From that space, you would count 1 space in an available direction, and then from that space you would count to the closest empty space. Remember that when figures are moved like this, the movement is started at a "target space." In the case of attacks, it's quite literally the targeted space. In the case of Steelhorns, it's the space he enters.

So: if the hero on the upper-right was Steelhorns, He would enter the top-left space of the shadow dragon. Then, he would choose in which direction the dragon would move. If he moves the dragon left, down, or up-left, then actually (instead of your leftmost destination space), the dragon would be placed on the entrance, just above the top-left hero (which is closer in each case). If he moved right or down-right, it would actually be 4 spaces to both the aforementioned entrance and to the space just to the right of the topmost flesh moulder.

I know that's a bit wordy, but does it make sense?

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com

#27 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

@robin, could you create a post like bgg´s summing all official ruling here
Cheers

#28 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

@willmanx: better regroup all FFG's answers in the BBG thread and wiki.
Most players lurk on both forums, and answers given over here occasionally have been copy-pasted on BGG.
What could be nice, would be a "sticky" post (i.e. which remains on the top of the forum) with usefull links.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#29 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

@robin : yep that sticky post would be great. Thanks for your answer and effort

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS