#101 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Nice game! Short, yet tense! Some notes:

- loved the cultists ganing up! 9 is crazy :D

- out of curiosity: did you remember every time you fail an Horror check in Arkham to deal that investigator also the combat damage of the monster, right? It seems like you didn't have an infernal time sweeping streats around. Plus, monsters now can potentially trigger a lot of devourings.

- don't worry too much for the 2 rolled: Agnes' devouring means +3 doom and +6 terror, which basically is game over anyway (I know it's bad, but it was designed so that players would avoid exploiting the "let's kill Agnes immediately before doom 4 so that cultists are not a problem")

- indeed, the AO is great. Still, could be somehow frustrating, but having Norman is rather a huge plus. If you're quick enough, you can use his Find Gate a lot and save you from many rounds of delay

- loved the starting whiskey cabaret :D

Hope you had a great time trying! Next time you'll pass it!

• eagermind likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#102 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Julia :-)

- out of curiosity: did you remember every time you fail an Horror check in Arkham to deal that investigator also the combat damage of the monster, right? It seems like you didn't have an infernal time sweeping streats around. Plus, monsters now can potentially trigger a lot of devourings.

Yes. It was mostly Gloria with a Tommy gun doing the dirty fighting in Arkham . Her will was pretty high nearly all time, at  3 or 4. As far as I remember she only failed against the Wraith. Apart from the moonbeast and wraith, she encountered mostly easy monsters like Tcho-tcho priest, zombies, Byakhees....I got also lucky after closing gates some tough monsters went back to the cup. But Norman should have been devoured by a Dark Young after sealing the gate at Devil's Reef. Anyway it is good that I retry.  

I think I am going to replace Leo for Sister Mary. I have just realized that she can pass a gate trophy to the next scenario. That is a free blessing.  I know she'll be back sooner or later, so why not play with her now and try to get something good to pass over next scenario. 

Anyway I had fun trying and I am looking forward to play it again soon.

• Avi_dreader likes this

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#103 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, you know, there's certainly something about Mary. Indeed, the gate trophy to be carried over is awesome. Not only for the free blessing, but also because you can actually kill the odds of drawing the wrong gate (I played the league with Lurker gates in, so, you know, that darn -4 double gate... :D)

Right, the tommy gun. Indeed, you can lower Fight with a tommy gun. Gloria's amazing in this scenario, especially as OW travellers, considering the effects of the AO.

Good luck with the next try!

• eagermind likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#104 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

I think I am going to replace Leo for Sister Mary. I have just realized that she can pass a gate trophy to the next scenario. That is a free blessing.  I know she'll be back sooner or later, so why not play with her now and try to get something good to pass over next scenario.

::Laughter::

It's funny I got an FFG notification today, I was just thinking about how the Lurker at the Threshold's probably responsible for distributing credit cards earlier this morning.

Anyway, better luck (and fight, and will) next time.  I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

• Julia and eagermind like this

#105 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Scenario 17 rematch.  Agnes, Ursula, Norman, Gloria & Sister Mary against Nka'ji Ara

Starting items:

Sister Mary: Cross, Holy water, Intervene, Vision Quest & Skill: +1 will.

Agnes: Wither, Magnifying Glass, Cabala of Saboth, Summon shantak & Skill: Marskman

Ursula: Patrolling streets task, Food, Holy water, Silver Key & Skill:Disguise

Norman: Find Gate, motorcycle, Crystal Elder things, Implant suggestion & Skill: bravery

Gloria: Bullwhip, axe, dead curse azathoth, Call friend & Skill : Grapple

Nobody starts with a madness this time. The first mythos opens a gate at the Black cave to Another Time. The first cultist pops up. An always useful “Nightgaunt” and a Lloigor appear blocking merchant disctrict streets and southside streets respectively.

1st Turn: Let’s start collecting clues.  Sister mary evades the Lloigor and casts her vision spell in order to get all the clues at French Hill neighbourghood. Agnes reads her tome and gets an extra skill and collects 2 clues at Hibb’s thanks to her magnifying glass.  Norman & Gloria get clues at Science building and graveyard respectively.  Finally  Ursula who started at Independence Sq.  meets the nightgaunt at merchant streets and fails the combat check (no injury though) getting drawn through the gate at the Black Cave. . Mythos:  Monster surge at Black Cave… releasing 5 monsters.

2nd Turn: Continuing collecting clues. After moving all investigators , all of them but Sister Mary have 5 or more clues, It is  Sister Mary the one who gets drawn through a gate after collecting her clue at Unvisited Isle. Agnes buys an enchanted knife at the curiosity shop and Norman finds an rusty axe in the woods.  Meanwhile in Other worlds Sister mary looses some stamina/sanity but Ursula remain unscathed and will return to Arkham next turn. Mythos:  A cultist appear at STL, 2 on the board (for now) . Gate at the Graveyard, a deep one goes to the outskirst since there are already 8 non-cultist monsters on the board.  The mythos card is a rumor: The great ritual ….buff. Cultist have now two extra toughness bringing them to 4… Well, I have a spellcasters team. I think the rumor will somehow help me.

3rd Turn: Some team work ahead. Norman moves to the Merchant district streets. Gloria moves  to the gate at the graveyard . On her way there she drops two spells and some money to Norman , while taking find gate from him. Finally Agnes move south from the curiosity shop , takes the 3 spells  Norman had and ends her movement at French Hill streets where She discards 4 spells. She keeps Sumon Shantak (she will need it next turn) and the rumor is passed. Everybody gains 2 clues..Yay!. Meanwhile Ursula seals the gate at the Black Cave. On other worlds Sister Mary ends delayed on the first Area and Gloria chooses a good encounter. Mythos: Gate at Hibb’s bringing the doom track to four. 2 cultist + the cultist at STL join Agnes  in the French Hill streets.

4th Turn: Agnes summons Shantak and evades all cultists and enters the gate at Hibb’s. Norman with 5 dollars  moves to Magick Shop where he buys an attack spell (spectral razor).  Ursula uses her Silver Key 3 times and her disguise skill in order to evade all the monsters in the Black Cave and moves to Independence sq to collect a clue there. In other worlds  Agnes gets some money from some conical creatures, Sister mary finally has a good encounter and fortune smiles on Gloria , so no problem there. Mythos:  Another cultist at STL. Gate at the woods and  witch going to the outskirts.  Clue for Ursula at Independence Sq. Since two more monsters are released on the streets the terror level increases for first time after reseting the outskirts. 

5th Turn: Gloria comes back from OW. (Btw now I realize I completely forgot she had “find gate” spell from Norman.) and seals the gate at the Graveyard. Ursula goes to the Science building where she exchanges her gate trophy for 2 clues bringing her to 6 clues. In OW Sister Mary is down to 1 stamina , Norman loses two sanity and Agnes gains one sanity.  No big deal. Mythos:  The cultist congregation continues to grow on the STL and due to their chanting they manage to open a gate to Plateau of Leng there. Who dares go there with 6 cultist guarding the gate?. Clue for Gloria at the graveyard.

6th Turn: Both Sister Mary and Agnes return to Arkham and seal their gates. Ursula goes to the train station hoping to find Bill Washington, but she finds a stranger instead giving her a useless spell. Gloria decides to go to the Science building and exchanges her Gate trophy for 2 clues bringing her to 6. Finally Norman finds a strange pool in the Abyss. He looks into it and sees Sister Mary who is drawn into the Abyss. Mythos: Another cultist at STL. Gate to the Abyss at Independence Square. 7 doomers.

7th Turn: With only 2 gates open in Arkham and both to the Abyss and 2 seals away from victory, let’s send then Gloria & Ursula to the Abyss through the gate at the Woods (without monsters).  Just in time before Norman comes back and  seals the gate  at the Woods.  Agnes summons Shantak and moves undetected southwards . No major problems in the Abyss- Mythos: Gate at the Witch House bringing doom track to 8. Two more cultists at Agnes location.

8th Turn:This time I remember to cast find gate with Gloria who returns to Arkham and seals the last gate.Victory !

Doom track : 8

Terror track : 2

Madness/Injuries: 0

Cultist on board 9

It was a really unusual sneaky short game :ph34r: . I fought "zero" monsters. Combining the evasion items I had with the early monster surge that send any new monster to the Outskirts, it made the paths to the gates accessible. You add some extra free clues from the passed rumor and an easy victory was at hand. It was a great game though

I have some questions regarding Segment 4 rules. Up to 4 investigators may carry over one item to replace one of their random items of the same type.

"Find gate" spell started on Norman's hands but he gave it to Gloria. Can then Gloria carry over the spell to next scenario and this way I will have 2 find gate spells? Can an item which ends on an investigators' hands be carried over and passed to another investigator? I think not. But I am unsure.

I write down investigators items (not starting fixed items) at the end of the scenario:

Gloria : Find Gate, Axe, Bullwhip

Norman: Spectral Razor, Crystal of Elder things, Motorcyckle, Axe

Ursula: Holy water, a task, Food, telescope, Implant suggestion spell

Agnes: Summon shantak, enchanted knife

Sister Mary: Vision quest, Intervene.

If I got the rules right, then Gloria will carry over Find Gate, Norman the motorcykle (I hate slow investigators :)  ), Agnes  Summon Shantak and Sister Mary the gate trophy to Another dimension. Ursula has nothing worthed carrying over to the next scenario.

Edited by eagermind, 13 December 2014 - 11:19 AM.

• Julia likes this

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#106 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Neat! Man, sealing in 8, that's impressive! Totally a sweeter victory this time (almost to be happy you didn't have success on the first try)!

A suggeston: no need to fail the Combat Check against a Nightgaunt. Try to Evade it with not enough dice: in this way you get the free ride without losing Sanity due to Horror.

As for your question: I don't see any problems with Gloria carrying over the Find Gate and starting with two of them the next game.

• eagermind likes this

#107 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

Yep. One of Norman's uses is that you can get a find gate into your item pool easily :')

Edited by Avi_dreader, 14 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

• eagermind likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS