92 replies to this topic

#81 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

"nervenstark" :)

German?!

Trust me ... Yesterday I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown..  :lol: .

Edited by eagermind, 28 April 2014 - 03:31 AM.

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#82 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Julia

You are completely right about how the league tests your skills and challenges you in a way I had not experienced before on a normal Arkham game.  

In particular "the lesson to learn" in this scenario was, that no matter how grim the game's outcome might look, there is always a (small) chance of victory. And when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to hit the table with all your strength because sometimes you only have one single opporturnity  to succeed. 

Weeeeelllll that wasn't really the intended lesson ;') you did get pretty unlucky with all those elder sign draws.  But nervenstark indeed.

#83 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

The oddest thing of the League is that it pushes you beyond your limits. After that, Arkham won't be the same again. Ever.

You're half-way through it! Time to celebrate!

Celebrate with some whiskey ;')

• eagermind likes this

#84 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

And when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to hit the table with all your strength because sometimes you only have one single opporturnity  to succeed.

Exactly. Hit the table. Not the board. The table. Strong enough until all the chits move and the monsters fall off the table. It's called "street sweeping" and it always works

(sorry, couldn't resist, but aye, I agree with you :) )

• Avi_dreader and eagermind like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#85 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

German?!

Yep, German. Couldn't find an English equivalent when I posted. Let's say being able to reason even under pressure and with all the odds against :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#86 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

German?!

Yep, German. Couldn't find an English equivalent when I posted. Let's say being able to reason even under pressure and with all the odds against :)

The "English" equivalent would be sangfroid ;') I know, it sounds very English.

• Julia and eagermind like this

#87 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Avi, dam(n) it, I did miss ya!!

(drop an email sooner or later. Today I read all Fahrenheit 451, with you in my mind all the time)

#88 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

(drop an email sooner or later. Today I read all Fahrenheit 451, with you in my mind all the time)

I'll get to that Email eventually ;') Last month was a bit Hellish.  Things should quiet down a bit this month.  Hopefully. Ironically I'm trading real figurative Hell for real virtual Hell (Diablo 3).

Edited by Avi_dreader, 29 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#89 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'll get to that Email eventually ;') Last month was a bit Hellish.  Things should quiet down a bit this month.  Hopefully. Ironically I'm trading real figurative Hell for real virtual Hell (Diablo 3).

You know, your title in this forum is Evil Rules Lawyer from HELL... :P I guess you should feel at home... :P :P

Ok then, whenever you want :)

• Avi_dreader likes this

#90 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Well it was time to face the next scenario in segment 3

Scenario 15 in Elderly god mode

Mandy,Monterey, Sister Mary, Minh Thi  and Amanda against The Black Man.

Starting items:

Mandy: Makeup Kit, Time bomb, Necronomicon & Sneak skill.

Monterey: .38Revolver, Bull whip, Cursed Sphere, Soul Gem & Wrestle (+1 Figth) skill.

Sister Mary: Holy Water, Cross, Alchemical Process, Great Banishment & Endurance skill.

Minh Thi: KiY tome,Lucky Rabbit, Hand Camera, Petrifying solution, wither & Persuasion (+1will) skill.

Amanda: Whiskey, Golden Sword of Yhatalla, Foresee & Marksman - +1 Lore skill.

Mandy starts with a random Exhibit item: Third Elder Sign fragment.

First Mythos -Gate at Cold Spring Gleen releasing a vampire. 

No clues on the board except for the one just spawned at Whateley Farm.

1st Turn:  Monterey stays at the Curiosity shop where he is joined by Amanda. He purchases the True Magick tome and gives it to Amanda.She returns the favor and gives him some whiskey.

Sister Mary wants to be a rich nun :-) Then She starts casting her alchemical process spell while moving north towards the curiosity shop. Mandy and Minh Thi meet up in the MIskatonic streets and exchange also items. Minh thi gets the necronomicon aiming to pass her PS and Mandy gets the hand camera. Mythos opens a gate at the Dagon’s order. Some evil priests release a Warlock and shoggoth at the Factory district streets  in Insmouth.  Meanwhile The black man stalkes Mandy& Minh Thi and ambushes them at Miskatonic Univ. A vampire goes through a vortex in Dunwich increasing the terror level by 1.

2nd Turn:  Mandy evades both Black Man & Bloody tongue good and gets the two clues at the witch House. Then she discards the Hand camera gaining an extra clue and another extra clue for Amanda, who had taken the bus to Insmouth. She had previously got an extra clue by reading True magick Tome. Minh Thi has to confront the Black Man. She first reads the KiY tome and barely passes the Black Man luck check . She ends her turn with 6 extra clues and a the first doom token. Finally Sister Mary earns 3 extra dollars and goes to the curiosity shop where she hands the money to Monterey who is lucky and buys and Elder sign J. Mythos opens a gate on top of Mandy at the Witch House.

3rd Turn: Amanda kills the Shoggoth which had moved onto her  and reads again the True magick tome for her 4th clue. Monty holding tight his elder sign takes the train to Dunwich.  The greedy nun goes to the newspaper where she becomes an expert tracing mysterious calls granting her 2 clues. Minh Thi evades the black man and goes to the general store where she buys the Director’s diary. Finally Mandy finds a cache with ancients papers granting her an extra clue in OWs, bringing her to 8 clues. Mythos: Gate at Gardner’s place guarded by a Warlock.

4th Turn: Monterey kills the warlock guarding the gate at Gardner’s place and goes to the city of the Great Race. Sister Mary after getting her usual money, kills the witch roaming rivertown streets and this ways gives free passage to Minh Thi who also takes the train to Dunwich. Finally Mandy continues exploring Celeano. Mythos opens a gate at the Black Cave.

5th Turn:  Min Thi  & Amanda go through a gate to Lost carcosa from Dagon’s & Cold spring Glen respectively.  Mandy seals the gate at the Witch House.  Meanwhile Sister Mary collects a clue at the Unnamable and continues producing money from her spell.  3 investigators in OWs. Monty fights a monsters and the girls team together in Lost Carcosa barely passing a difficult check. Mythos opens a gate at Historical society.  

6th Turn: Sister Mary goes to the Asylum to recover all her sanity. Becoming a rich nun drives one insane. Monty seals the gate at Gardner’s place. Mandy evades the bloody tongue god at the Witch House and has an encounter with Thomas F. Malone, but since he is not in the ally deck, she gets two clues instead bringing her to 6. Meanwhile in OW Amanda gets LiTaS and Minh Thi finds a stone with her name inscribed. She gets agoraphobia and 3 clues that brings her to 11 clues. Mythos opens a gate at Devil’s Hopeyard. First investigator who ends his movement at the train station gets an ally.

Clue at Wizard's Hill. If a gate opens there it will remove all the seals. 

7th Turn:   Sister Mary gets the “Terrible Old man” ally by ending her turn at the train station. Monty rushes to the Wizard’s Hill to collect the clue and gets a doom token. Unfortunately a monster/gate encounter sends him to Yuggoth. He has only 4 clues but he gets another clue in OW encounter. Mandy also goes through gate at the Historical society to Another dimension. Minh This seals the gate at Cold spring Glen. 3 seals on the board with 2 investigators in OWs.  Mythos is a monster surge at Wizard’s Hill. Let's hope no mythos places clue tokens there.

8th Turn: The rich nun goes to the curiosity shop where she buys a mi-go brain case. Monterey & Mandy continue on OWs joined by Amanda which this turns comes back from LiTaS and goes through the gate at Black Cave. Minh Thi kills a High Priest at backwoods country. Mythos: Strange sightings monster surge with a Black druid involved . Two monsters goes through a vortex in Dunwich waking up the Dunwich Horror. Minh Thi reduces the terror level increase by 1 after reading the Director’s diary and she passes her PS. She grabs Ruby Standish.

9th Turn: Minh Thi goes first this turn. She sneaks past the black druid and goes through the gate at Devil’s Hopeyard. Sister Mary swaps places with  a monster close to a vortex in Dunwich. Mandy seals the gate at Historical Society. Two more seals to go and 3 investigators strugglin in OWs but surviving.  Mythos opens a gate at the Woods.

10th Turn:  Both Monterey & Amanda come back from OWs this turn and seal their gates without any problem.

Yeah!...Victory by seals

Doom track : 7

Terror level: 2

There were only 2 investigators with 1 doom token each. Still 5 doomers left in the box. 

I guess I was lucky with the Mythos card draw. In the last turns a mythos card placing clues at Wizard's Hill or a gate burst in the Witch House would have broken all the seals on the board by removing the clues lying there. Even though there were no clues on the board, I found other ways to get them without getting that many doomers. But I can see it could have been more difficult if I had not started with the right items and spells. 

It was fun but somehow I liked more the 2 previous scenarios.

Edited by eagermind, 31 May 2014 - 12:11 PM.

• Avi_dreader and Julia like this

#91 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Nice game, my friend! Indeed, you've been lucky with the Mythos Cards. Sorry, it seems like the game lacked some adrenaline, but I'm pretty sure Scenario 16 would be a greater challenge (but I do agree with you, of the whole Nyarly segment, this is the one I like the less).

Just an observation: Minh can't pass her PS thanks to Director's diary. She needs to read a Tome, while Director's diary is "discard to have an effect", and it's more "using" an item, than "reading" a tome. Or, at least, this is the way I read this :)

• eagermind likes this

#92 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Julia

Just an observation: Minh can't pass her PS thanks to Director's diary. She needs to read a Tome, while Director's diary is "discard to have an effect", and it's more "using" an item, than "reading" a tome. Or, at least, this is the way I read this :)

Yes you are right. I made a mistake.  I guess she could have read the necronomicon a second time to pass her PS instead. Or Amanda could have given her the True Magick tome when they were both in Lost Carcosa and read it afterwards.  Anyway the game outcome would have been the same even if she had failed. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Julia likes this

#93 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, agreed, it was so late in the game that it certainly hasn't affected in any way your victory :)

Fingers crossed for the next one!

• eagermind likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS