I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

Well, I can't complain

I never imagined I'd have read something like you are not complaining :devil:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

• Avi_dreader likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#62 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

Well, I can't complain

I never imagined I'd have read something like you are not complaining :devil:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

The apocalypse is definitely at hand ;')

• Julia likes this

#63 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Scenario 13 in Hard mode

Mandy,Monterey, Ursula, Minh Thi  and Darrell against Nyarlathotep.

Starting items:

Mandy: Ancient tome, Sedanette, For the greater god mission - +1 Luck skill.

Monterey: .38Revolver, Bull whip, Mi-go brain case & Cabala of Saboth-  Expert occultist skill

Ursula: Bull whip, Ley line map, Alien device & Cabala of Saboth – +1 Luck skill

Minh Thi: KiY tome, Dynamite, Shotgun, Lamp of Alhazred& Bind Monster spell- Mystic gift skill

Darrell: Research Materials, Palid Mask & Warding statue -  Disguise  Skill.

Ursula starts with a random Exhibit item: Mask of the Black Pharaoh.

First Mythos -Gate at Witch house guarded by a Dark Young.

1st Turn:  Mandy, Ursula and Minh Thi meet up at the Silver Twilight Lodge looking for a membership. It is only Ursula who gets it. Minh Thi gets though Mandy& Ursula tomes . Mandy is successful sneaking into the lodge and can savage a make-up kit and a press pass. Meanwhile the guys meet up at the Curiosity shop and they buy some magical weapons . Mythos opens a gate at the Graveyard and a rat thing moves to the rivertown streets.

2nd Turn:  Mandy& Minh Thi are joined by Darrell at the Silver Twilight lodge, but neither of them is lucky enough to get a membership, although Minh Thi finds a Gladius of Carcosa. Monterey starts collecting clues and Ursula kills the Rat thing roaming the streets. Mythos is a monster surge at the Graveyard.  A hideous Shoggoth moves onto Ursula.  Due to some bizarre couriers investigators can exchange items by paying 1 sanity. This way Ursula gets a Gladius from Minh Thi.

3rd Turn: Ursula kills the Shoggoth and a witch on the rivertown streets and passes her PS. Mandy, Minh Thi and Darrell stay at the STL begging Carl Stanford for a membership. None of them get it. Darrell gets even kick out to the street and stripped of his clues L.  Monterey goes to the Unvisited Isle and gets the three clues lying there bringing him up to 5 clues and failing his PS. The Skinless one appears at the Unnamable. Mythos opens a gate at Independence sq .guarded by a Skeleton.

4th Turn: Mandy, Minh Thi and Darrell continue at the STL and still no luck. Mandy finds two clues there spawing another Mask monster. This time is the black man who appears in the black Cave. Monterey & Ursula go through gates to Great Hall of Celeano and both get delayed  L. Mythos opens a gate at Gardners place.

5th Turn:  Min Thi finally succeeds at reading all her tomes and passes her PS getting Basil Elton as an Ally as a reward. Since she gained 5 clues after reading the KiY tome with the Press pass, another mask monster pops up at Hibb’s (The beast). Mandy gets her membership finally. Minh Thi and Darrell  are still trying to get a membership from Carl Stanford.  Ursula & Monty continue on other worlds.  Mythos opens a gate at Wizard Hill with a Maniac.

6th Turn: Finally Minh Thi gets her TSL membership.  Mandy goes through the gate in the graveyard. I guess Darrell will be then relegated to patrol the streets, but before that he heads back to  the curiosity shop for more goodies. He buys a seeker of the yellow sign which will put in use next turn. No major events in other worlds;  though Ursula finds a useful Illuminated script in the Great hall of Celeano. Mythos: gate at the Unvisited Isle with a Lloigor.

7th Turn:  Minh Thi goes north direction to Dunwich, she meets Darell in the northside streets from whom she borrows money. Darrell  discards the seeker of the yellow sign to pass the horror check against the Skinless one. Then he manages to kill the monster with Gladius/Golden sword Yha-talla.  Monterey & Ursula come back this time to Arkham, but only Ursula manages to seal the gate at Independence sq sending the Beast back to the Mask pool. Mandy is still in the city of the great Race. Mythos: monster surge at Wizards Hill. A witch goes through a vortex adding the first Dunwich doomer.

8th Turn: Monterey & Mandy seal gates at Witch House and Graveyard respectively. Minh thi takes the train to Dunwich and kills one witch in the Village commons. Ursula goes to the Asylum to get some sanity back and has enough movement to read the Book of believer rewarding her with one clue. Finally Darrell who lost his retainer has 5$ left and goes to The curiosty shop again and tries his luck. He buys the “De vermiis mysteriis” Tome. Mythos: Gate at witch house, which is sealed J. A crawling one goes through another vortex…Dunwich Horror is closer to awakening.

9th Turn: Minh Thi goes through the gate at Gardners Place to Yuggoth. Ursula stays at the Asylum and reads the Illuminated script gaining another clue. Mandy kills the cultist at the graveyard and Monterey collects clue at Science Building. He meets there a student with a dimensional beam machine that can eventually close gates. At this moment there are 3 gates opened now (2 to yuggoth in Dunwich and 1 to another time at Unvisited Isle). Why not? Let’s give it a try… As a result the gate at Wizard’s hill is closed. Finally Darell collects clue at Train station. Mythos is a monster surge at Unvisited Isle.

10th Turn:  Darrell kills a formeless spawn roaming the merchant district streets while the other investigators start collecting clues: Mandy at Historical society, Monterey at the woods and Ursula at Darke’s Carnival.  Minh Thi has an uneventful turn in Yuggoth. Myhtos : gate at Witch House which is sealed.

11th Turn: Darrell successfully read the Vermiis Misteriis and closes the gate at Unvisited Isle. Minh Thi seals the gate at Gartners` Place…. 5 gates trophies achiving another victory by closing gates J

Doom track : 6

Terror level : 2

I liked the scenario, specially the  “2+ clues mechanic”. It makes you plan carefully when you can risk having more mask monsters on the board, although it can be a long game if you do not get a TSL membership earlier on the game.

I am looking forward to the next scenario.  It  looks more...menacing :-)

• Avi_dreader and Julia like this

“From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.” 
― H.P. LovecraftTales of H. P. Lovecraft

#64 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Eagermind,

first of all, thank you. For reminding me the place I belong. In the last thee months I was snowed under with games to playtest and I dropped Arkham after the games played at the beginning of January. Reading your chronicle made me feel such an intense nostalgia that I'm setting up the table for a new game right now. Really, thank you.

As for your game: congratulations for passing it on the first try :) Sorry you had to wait so long to get all the Membership required, but hey, you won, so the extra turns were not a big impediment on your march.

And welcome to the third segment. I'm really curious to see how you'll approach the next games, and how you'll like them. For me, this has been the best segment of the entire League. Maybe not the most challenging, but certainly one of the most interesting as mechanics and for the theme.

Good luck with what's to come :)

JULIA

• eagermind likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#65 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

You're welcome Julia. You made me blush  :wub: . Reciprocally I should also thank you ;) . I must admit that more than once after reading your "intense" game reports , I was suddenly in the mood for playing Arkham(I can actually recall one nightmare game you reported I think for New years with Yog-sothoth-Hydra/Dagon? that made me play Arkham with same AO/heralds/investigators straight away  :) ).

Cheers

Enric

#66 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

:blush: too :D

Aye, Yog was the first this year, with Rex. I won with the DOR at 5 and the doom track at 11, IIRC. What a game!

Then good if there is a mutual encouragement in playing Arkham!

Now we should force Avi to dust the board  and play an Atlach game with my herald in! That's the dream (at least, mine) :devil:

• eagermind likes this

#67 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Aye, Yog was the first this year, with Rex. I won with the DOR at 5 and the doom track at 11, IIRC. What a game!

Now we should force Avi to dust the board  and play an Atlach game with my herald in! That's the dream (at least, mine) :devil:

You want to force an old man out of retirement, and into a game where he'd end up losing?  Are you trying to make me use Patrice? ;'D

How many investigators would you recommend for the Atlach game with your herald?  Might be a bit of an interesting project for a weeknight sometime in the next month...

#68 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

And welcome to the third segment... For me, this has been the best segment of the entire League. Maybe not the most challenging, but certainly one of the most interesting as mechanics and for the theme.

They can't all be the most challenging ;'D

• Julia and eagermind like this

#69 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

@Eagermind

Glad you're still enjoying these.  I wish that scenario on hard mode was a bit more challenging for you ;'D doom track six, ouch.  I feel like I should have thought it through more.  On the other hand, you could try playing it again with no free Twilight Lodge membership :'D and the all-star four investigator team of Jack, Mary, Vincent, Dexter!

• eagermind likes this

#70 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

@Eagermind

Glad you're still enjoying these.  I wish that scenario on hard mode was a bit more challenging for you ;'D doom track six, ouch.  I feel like I should have thought it through more.  On the other hand, you could try playing it again with no free Twilight Lodge membership :'D and the all-star four investigator team of Jack, Mary, Vincent, Dexter!

Hmmm... so, not the dreaded Vincent and his Vincent-clones game we are all afraid of... :P

• eagermind likes this

#71 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

You want to force an old man out of retirement, and into a game where he'd end up losing?  Are you trying to make me use Patrice? ;'D

How many investigators would you recommend for the Atlach game with your herald?  Might be a bit of an interesting project for a weeknight sometime in the next month...

Hey, don't cheat! When you accepted the challenge (two years ago, or something) we decided for "no Patrice" otherwise there's a need for a rematch ;) Anyhoo... five should beat it. Atlach's not that complex, though. It's just boooooooooooring... so, some extra spice with Heralds is needed!

#72 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

And welcome to the third segment... For me, this has been the best segment of the entire League. Maybe not the most challenging, but certainly one of the most interesting as mechanics and for the theme.

They can't all be the most challenging ;'D

:laughter: fair point ;)

#73 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

@Eagermind

I like actually more the scenarios with a constant threat (even if it becomes a smaller one due to good items, lucky circumstances,... ) like the last one, than the scenarios with a huge initial threat, but after solving it, becoming a normal Arkham game. 

For the next scenario I can't  use Mandy or Darrell on hard mode....then I am thinking of taking Vincent as the fifth investigator (just for making it more challenging ) :-). I know I am going to regret it if I do it.

• Julia likes this

#74 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

I like actually more the scenarios with a constant threat (even if it becomes a smaller one due to good items, lucky circumstances,... ) like the last one, than the scenarios with a huge initial threat, but after solving it, becoming a normal Arkham game. 

Yes, I had the same feeling. Somehow the game seems impossible but only because of the starting conditions, then, when the major threat is resolved, you can play as normal Arkham. The last segment of Scenarios is the most interesting under this point of view.

Anyhoo, good luck against Nyarly + Vincent ;)

• eagermind likes this

#75 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hey, don't cheat! When you accepted the challenge (two years ago, or something) we decided for "no Patrice" otherwise there's a need for a rematch ;) Anyhoo... five should beat it. Atlach's not that complex, though. It's just boooooooooooring... so, some extra spice with Heralds is needed!

To paraphrase James Joyce, cells are born and die, all my cells from then are gone, hence I am other I, physically a different person.  I will not be bound by the forgotten words of my dead clone.

However ;') the Patrice part was a joke.  I'd sooner rot in spider hell than play her.

• Julia likes this

#76 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

@Eagermind

For the next scenario I can't  use Mandy or Darrell on hard mode....then I am thinking of taking Vincent as the fifth investigator (just for making it more challenging ) :-). I know I am going to regret it if I do it.

Future herald/scenario makers take note ;')

#77 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Scenario 14 in Elderly God

Here we go Ursula, Minh Thi, Lily, Luke & Vincent against the second Nyarthalotep scenario and his avatars.

Starting items:

Not very lucky there. Ursula & Luke draw an Elder sign, which means they start cursed and discard the Elder Sign due to the Bloody Bloated womanL.  Lily due to Elderly difficulty starts also cursed. For every curse 2 extra Haunters.  I start  with 3 cursed investigators which means 6 copies of The Haunter of the dark in the sky together with the original. Oh,It is going to be tough game...Well at least some investigators start with good weapons J

Ursula: Tommy gun, knife, ancient spear & skill – Persuade (+1 will)-

Lily: The yellow mist, Bullwhip- skill: martial arts.

Minh Thi: KiY tome, Shotgun, director’s diary, joining the winning team mission, Bless spell & Stealth skill

Luke: Gate box, Astral travel, Flesh ward & +1 Lore skill.

Vincent: 357 Magnum, Makeup kit, summon monster, shroud of shadow & bravery spell.

Ursula carries from last scenario The Mask of Black Pharaoh and Minh thi draws Eye of Light & Darkness Exhibit Item.

First Mythos is The blackest night: a gate in the Black Cave with a Proto-Shoggoth. All investigators are in stable locations then the Haunter of the Dark & copies remain in the sky. A clue is removed from Hibb’s and The Bloated Woman enters the board  there getting some booze for starters.

1st Turn: Investigators start collecting clues. Lily at the woods finding a tome. Minh Thi reads KiY tome and gets clue at Historical society and Vincent is kicked out of the Science building after collecting another clue. I start dealing barred cards to Minh & Lily.  Ursula is pulled trough a gate to Yuggoth during her encounter at Unvisited isle, but at least she gets two more clues there. Luke is less lucky at the Dreamlands going LiTaS and getting jinxed in the process. Mythos: Gate at Science Building releasing a Dhole.

2nd Turn: Lily gets rid of her curse and Minh Thi successfully casts bless on Ursula. The middle board is kind of blocked by tough monsters (moonbeast, Dhole, B-Woman,Proto-Shoggoth) but that doesn’t stop Vincent to charge on the Proto-Shoggoth at French Hill streets with his Magnum and giving this way free passage to Lily to collect clue at STL and to Minh Tih  to the gate at the black Cave after barely sneaking past the B-Woman. Ursula gets delayed again in Yuggoth and Minh thi finds an old Journal in the City of great race.  Mythos opens another gate to Yuggoth at The Witch House guarded by a Wraith and now starts the fun. Squares move. That means 7 Haunters of the Dark swoop down on Arkham’s favourite bait: Vincent J. Since Lily becomes barred from French Hill, she shares Vincent's dreadful fate.

3rd Turn: Luke comes back this time and starts collecting clues in Dunwich. Lily can’t tame so many haunters with only a bullwhip, then with her sneak at the maximum value and some clues so she manages to evade/flee 5 haunters until her stamina is reduced to zero. She has to draw 7 injuries and gets devoured after drawing 2 concussions L. Vincent horrified has only one shot left on his Magnum and brings down the first Haunter copy just before being eaten alive. He draws 6 madness cards and gets devoured after drawing two necrophobias.  Compared to Arkham the other worlds are a breeze and Ursula& Minh Thi have uneventful encounters there. Mythos: A gate at Wizard’s Hill with another tough monster: A star vampire.

Ashcan Pete & Amanda Sharpe join the investigation. As worth mentioned starting items Amanda gets an Find gate spell.

4th Turn:  Minh Thi seals the gate in the black cave. Luke continues in Dunwich. Amanda meets Sarah Danforth at Independence Square and draws a handy Pentagram of Blood. Meanwhile Ashcan gets two clues this turn after his encounter at the unnameable. Mythos brings a monster surge in Wizard’s Hill and terror level increasing by 2. Minh Thi reduces that by 1 by reading the Director’s diary. The good thing is that investigators can exchange clue tokens. Amanda gets 3 from Minh Thi  bringing her to 5. The bad thing is the Haunter of the Dark& copies return to the sky ready to attack the next victim(s).

5th Turn: Amanda uses her Pentagram of Blood to get rid of the Dark Young guarding the gate at the Witch House. Then thanks to her Hide skill, she evades  Moonbeast and Chtonian on her way to the Unvisited Isle. Ursula comes back to Arkham but this time to the other yuggoth gate at The witch house but she fails the check to close the gate. Aschan evades the monsters roaming the streets and dives into the gate at the Science building. Luke collects his 4th clue at Gardner’s place , he then casts Astral travel waking up in Celeano with an extra clue. Finally Min Thi evades the B-Woman and collects clue at the Graveyard, then she successfully reads an old tome she had found in another world, granting her 3 clues and passing her PS. From the allies on the deck she chooses Erich Weiss. There are  3 investigators in other worlds but fortunately no terrible harm falls upon them this turn. Only Ashcan gets delayed and some minor sanity loses. Mythos: A plague of insects swarms the streets of arkham and a double doomer brings the doom track to 7, but no gates. Minh Thi  is barred from rivertown and moves to the street with the Bitchy Woman.

6th Turn: Ursula this time seals the gate at the Witch House and gets barred from French Hill streets. Minh Thi has 5 clues but there are already 3 investigators in other worlds for the 3 remaining gates , so she evades once more B-woman and goes to the Asylum (mostly to avoid a possible move from the Haunter of the Dark on her) . Amanda fails her find gate spell, then the remaining 3 investigators continue their journeys in other worlds. Mythos: Oh ...another double doomer from CotDP that brings the doom track to 9.

7th Turn: Amanda & Luke seal gates at Unvisited Isle & Wizard’s Hill. Amanda is then barred from Merchant district neighbourhood. Ursula turns the moonbeast to dust with her Tommy Gun. Minh thi remains at the Asylum and Ashcan loses some stamina in the second area of the Abyss. Mythos: Gate at the Unnamable.  Doom track at 10. The hunter of the Dark & copies move onto Ursula in the Miskatonic streets (joined by a Shoggoth eager for some fresh meat) .

8th Turn: Amanda goes to the Asylum and gives the Find gate spell to Min Thi, which rushes to the Unnamable. Aschan seals the gate at the Science building and is barred from Miskatonic and moves to the street just to watch how Ursula is being surrounded by some hideous monsters darkening the sky. Ursula has little chance of success, she gives up and embraces darkness. By getting insane, she draws 6 madness cards  and is devoured by a double addiction. Mythos: Yes...Wizard’s hill bounced...buff.

Harvey Walters replaces Ursula.

9th Turn:  Ashcan, a master of camouflage (+1 sneak skill) manages to evade 6 haunters of the Dark and the Shoggoth . Finally Minh Thi casts Find gate and seals the last gate at the Unnamble.

Buff. Victory by seals.I barely made it alive J.

Doom track : 10

Terror: 2

Devoured Investigators: 3

I nearly gave up when Lily/Vincent got devoured...but at the end I was lucky thanks to Minh Thi, Amanda and her gate spell. The next mythos card would have opened  a gate at Devil's Reef and the Ancient one would have awakened.

The haunter of the Dark kind of reminded me of the First scenario (The Flying Dracula & copies). The B-woman is an interesting Herald though. Not so fan of the barred from Neighbourhood mechanic, mostly because I do not own the original CotDP and I do not know if I played it right or if I forgot to give the Barred card to someone.   Anyway I enjoyed the scenario and looking forward to the next one  :) .

Edited by eagermind, 27 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#78 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Eagermind,

I almost died when I read of Vincent charging the proto-shoggoth and the pletora of 6 and 7 injuries raining on your had like cats and dogs.

And I'm still rofling for the OWs being safer than Arkham.

I'm impressed by your skills at the game, and you being so "nervenstark" :) Arkham is not a game for the faint of heart, and this League is definitely only for the best in town, ergo

congrats for passing yet another crazy scenario!!!

• Avi_dreader and eagermind like this

#79 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

The oddest thing of the League is that it pushes you beyond your limits. After that, Arkham won't be the same again. Ever.

You're half-way through it! Time to celebrate!

• eagermind likes this

#80 eagermind

eagermind

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:06 AM

Thanks Julia

You are completely right about how the league tests your skills and challenges you in a way I had not experienced before on a normal Arkham game.  

In particular "the lesson to learn" in this scenario was, that no matter how grim the game's outcome might look, there is always a (small) chance of victory. And when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to hit the table with all your strength because sometimes you only have one single opporturnity  to succeed. 

Edited by eagermind, 28 April 2014 - 03:35 AM.

• Julia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS