Fan supplements

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 Aramithius

Aramithius

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

Just bumping this thread with a quick update - I have a faction outline for the Calixian Ordo Xenos that I'll be writing up in the next few days (sorry, really should have been last week but work's been busy). Also just need to reread some bits of the Thorian Sourcebook for sources on Gormenghast's friends...

Also, would anyone have any wish for sourcebooks on Calxian organsations, like the history of the Skalen-Har Hegemony, Devayn Incorporation etc? I though these organisations could have so much more mileage and detail than the books currently give them.

#142 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

Been pretty busy with work training and site updating, but i'll be revisiting my xenos generator files tomorrow and giving the material a review with some commentary. Just posting this in now so everyone knows im still on board. Just rl issues cropping up and getting in my way. =P

#143 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Just bumping this thread with a quick update - I have a faction outline for the Calixian Ordo Xenos that I'll be writing up in the next few days (sorry, really should have been last week but work's been busy). Also just need to reread some bits of the Thorian Sourcebook for sources on Gormenghast's friends...

Also, would anyone have any wish for sourcebooks on Calxian organsations, like the history of the Skalen-Har Hegemony, Devayn Incorporation etc? I though these organisations could have so much more mileage and detail than the books currently give them.

Been pretty busy with work training and site updating, but i'll be revisiting my xenos generator files tomorrow and giving the material a review with some commentary. Just posting this in now so everyone knows im still on board. Just rl issues cropping up and getting in my way. =P

No worries- I'm not setting any speed records myself.  ;)

(And yes, Aramithius, I would be interested in more info on Calixian organizations.)

#144 Aramithius

Aramithius

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Update on the politics below, with a finishing paragraph for the preceding section. It really needs padding out, and I'm not sure quite where to take that. It also needs some leading text to discuss things like Gormenghast and the factions apart from the Thorians, but I'm wondering where to fit it in.

Read, enjoy, and any suggestions would be great.

Operations of this sort are the most important to the Ordo, as they are often the frontline for the more subtle threats faced by humanity. Many a world would in the Calixis Sector has been saved from crumbling from the foundation up through the acts of the Ordo Xenos. For more heterodox inquisitors, it is also the perfect position to introduce their own influences or even selected xenos ideas into Imperial society without drawing attention to their activities.

Politics of the Ordo Xenos Calixis

The Ordox Xenos Calixis is nominally headed by Inquisitor Maximillian Gormenghast, although his current influence on the Ordo is negligible. While he has a long and illustrious history of involvement in directing the Ordo, particularly recently in isolating He has been in a coma from an unknown pathogen for the last thirty years, and his acolytes and political allies have been fighting tooth-and-nail to maintain his estates from being seized by other factions at Convocation.

The biggest battle however has been to maintain the secrecy of Gormenghast’s location and the reason he hasn’t succumbed to the pathogen. Prior to his coma (which some believe to be poisoning from either hostile xenos or political enemies), Gormenghast was amalgamating Eldar and Xenarch technologies to extract and bond a soul’s warp essence into a warp-powered matrix similar to an Eldar spirit stone. His Thorian allies are using a precursor to this technology to sustain him. However, if their heresy were to be discovered, it would implicate several other pivotal figures within the Calixian Ordo Xenos.

Most of the senior members of the Ordo have always had distinct Thorian leanings, and have since the Angevin Crusade. The Transfiguration of Drusus in 367.M39 excited the attention of many Incarnationists, although there are no claims among the faction to have been responsible for the Transfiguration itself. Those Thorians that did reach the Crusade and study Drusus insinuated themselves tightly within the Crusade's emerging social hierarchy, but were too late to influence its direction. As a result, the Ordo is overwhelmingly Monodominant, with a culture of thought that is hostile to most other philosophies.

Some among Gormenghast's Thorian cohort have quietly encouraged the development of a young cadre of inquisitors following the Xenos Hybris philosophy. These are then quietly monitored for anything that could be of use to the Thorians, such as the preserving mechanism currently sustaining Gormenghast. And if they are discovered, the Hybris inquisitors can always be disavowed, having little overt personal or professional sympathies with their Thorian sponsors.

Sidebar: Learning to Speak Monodominant

The presumed Monodominant leanings of most of the Ordo has led to those with other agendas needing to subtly couch their arguments and aims in Monodominant terms, lest their more zealous compatriots accuse them of heresy. Meetings must be signalled as for "investigative" purposes in particular projects (usually code for particular overarching goals of other factions), or Imperial organisations invented to cloak the records of these factions in a veneer of respectability. This can also lead to inquisitors and their acolytes becoming embroiled in schemes they have no interest in pursuing, or would in fact actively oppose if they knew their true aims. The discerning Ordo Xenos inquisitor needs to learn to look beyond the xenos-hating rhetoric to the consequences of the actions their compatriots are proposing.

Edited by Aramithius, 11 June 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#145 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

Gentlemen, I don’t know if this has already been considered and discarded but what about abhumans?

There are likely many human populations which have evolved to cope with the environment of their home planet, much like the orgyns and ratlings, and which are thus not readily recognizable as humans. Unless some more obscure Ordo deals with such new found ‘human’ colonies, I’d expect the Ordo Xenos to investigate such sentient beings to determine if they are Xenos or not and then to decide if they should be exterminated or if they are allowed to survive.

Perhaps this task deserves some attention in an Ordo Xenos book?

#146 HandyX

HandyX

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Is there a fan supplement for introducing ratlings as a player race  but not a class?

i have a guy that wants to play a ratling psyker.. natural instinct is to say NO but i can't find lore that says it is impossible..if one existed why not in the inquisition? not sure what starting stats skills and traits to use though.

#147 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Is there a fan supplement for introducing ratlings as a player race but not a class?

i have a guy that wants to play a ratling psyker.. natural instinct is to say NO but i can't find lore that says it is impossible..if one existed why not in the inquisition? not sure what starting stats skills and traits to use though.

well there is this http://darkheresy.wi...m/wiki/Ratlings

and according to the author Nathan “N0-1_H3r3” Dowdell

"Voided Minds

Ratlings have no known psykers and have a natural resistance to psychic phenomena.

Benefit: Anyone attempting to use a psychic power on you does so with a -20 penalty. Any power that would be used to influence your mind suffer a -30 penalty."

Edited by Angel of Death, 12 June 2014 - 06:32 PM.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#148 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

I've done a bit of tinkering with this:

CHAPTER 4: THE ENEMY WITHOUT

Part 1: The Xeno Threat

Overview of xeno activities within the Calixis Sector.

• Hrud (stealthy ‘parasites’ frequently referenced in 40K lore)*
  • Morgauth (scavenging reptilids mentioned in The Radical’s Handbook p.200)*
  • Verminthiculians (wild mercenaries and reavers [‘Chaos Wookies’- my take] mentioned Dark Heresy Rulebook p. 258)*
  • Nostrafex (space vampires [my take] mentioned Disciples of the Dark Gods p. 71)*
  • Draethri (smug, condescending masterminds [my take] mentioned in The Radical’s Handbook p.201)
  • Galthite (Cossack-like brigands [my take] mentioned in Into the Storm p.125)
  • ‘Flesh-Reapers’ (Mysterious organ-harvesters)
  • Hothori (Parasitic ‘dream-weavers’ who they produce an addictive narcotic; prolonged use alters the human brain, turning it into food for these aliens)
  • Genestealer Cults? (we might be able to borrow Santiago's cool write-up here)
  • Others? Suggestions welcome

*See the NEW XENOS link in my signature below for the first drafts of these species.

Sidebar: Waaagh! Grimtoof attacking the Spinward Front (largely paraphrased from Only War).

Sidebar: The secret goal of the Enoulians.

Sidebar: Rumor of Lictors on Fedrid (expanding on a reference in Creatures Anathema p.95).

Sidebar: Impending threat of the Rak’Gol approaching through the Koronus Expanse.

Part 2: The Cold Trade

Overview of Cold Trade activities within the Calixis Sector.

• The League of the Black Crystal (mentioned in Hostile Acquisitions p.134)
  • The Terlain Cluster (mentioned in Daemon Hunter p.68. My take would be that the Gatekeepers found a portal into a fractured, abandoned section of the Eldar webway. Altering it with their own technology, they have turned it into their own ‘pocket dimension’, from which they operate their market, with links throughout the Cluster. They are secretly living in dread of Something Bad, and engage in trade to acquire the supplies they will need to survive when it finally arrives and they cut their mini-dimension off from realspace to wait out the apocalypse.)
  • The Stryxis (nomadic xeno-traders, largely paraphrased from Rogue Trader)

Sidebar: Port Wander and Footfall.

Part 3: Xenovirals

Overview of xeno diseases and the Rites of Innoculation required by Imperial law in order to visit other planets.

• Various sample contagions, including ‘the Ague’, as minor reactions to local pathogens are collectively called in Imperial Guard slang.
  • RedReave (an especially deadly hemorrhagic disease which- in its terminal stage- causes bleeding from the eyes and outbursts of psychotic violence)
  • Josian Pox (a wide-spread disease with frequent outbreaks; it used to be a mere nuisance, but it mutates slightly with each episode, and could turn deadly in the near future)
  • [name pending] (fungal infection that takes over the brain, ‘zombifying’ the victim and eventually causing the head to burst in a spore-filled contagious cloud)
  • Dusk Fever (a common cause of death spread by biting insects in the swamps of the planet Dusk).
  • Hellblight (a powerful weaponized virus engineered by the Yu’Vath during the Angevin Crusade; it is believed to be contained to a few high-security labs…)
  • [name pending] (a sentient parasitic infection which eventually controls the host- loosely inspired by the Stephen King short story I Am The Doorway)

Sidebar: Plague devastation of the planet Abairen’s Hope (now called  Abandoned Hope), currently quarantined.

Part 4: Aboriginal and Feral Populations

• Ch’k-Ch’k (ravenous ‘pygmies’ on Zumthor, who’s population is exploding due to Imperial settlers wiping out most of the natural predators which kept their numbers in check).
  • Myrrkynn (a.k.a. the Blue Folk, a near-extinct race on Balecaster, now occupying a role similar to the Sidhe in Celtic lore. They are trying to pass their ancient rituals on to human children- supposedly to avert an impending cataclysm).
  • Ghenji (stone-age tribal aliens living in the jungles of Tygress III).
  • Cephallian [Imperial designation, due to enlarged heads; real name unknown] (species believed extinct, known via ruins on the planet Percipre, who have actually transcended to multidimensional existence).
  • Ollopoloa (enslaved population on mining world of Nahme, used to mine valuable minerals on their homeworld, due to toxins in the air making a large-scale human workforce impractical. They are secretly trying to re-learn their race’s long-lost psychic powers in order to revolt against their Imperial oppressors).
  • Feral Orks (boar-riding savages, on Vaxanide and elsewhere).
  • Others? Suggestions welcome

Sidebar: On Sentience (Magos Biologis determinants for what constitutes a true 'xeno' vs a dumb animal).

Part 5: Xenobeasts

Overview of transporting, licensing, and training xenobeasts (referencing The Radical’s Handbook p. 140).

• Prahma-Rex (flightless riding bird from Ichovor)
  • Glitterbugs (dangerous insects from Tygress III, worn as jewelry by decadent Malfian nobles)
  • Gyrinx (psychic Eldar cats from 40K lore, sought as familiars by Imperial radicals)
  • [name pending] (silicate hydraform from the Haddrack deathworld)
  • Others pending; suggestions welcome

Sample Carnivora (beast-fighting arena) with maps.

Sidebar: Inquisitorial suspicions about the Beast House.

Edited by Adeptus-B, 05 July 2014 - 04:02 PM.

• Simsum likes this

#149 InquisitorAlexel

InquisitorAlexel

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Nice stuff, there is a lot I'm waiting to read!

#150 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Glad I've piqued your interest! Now I just have to knuckle down and do the actual writing...

#151 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

You are more than welcome to use my supplement for information, copy paste it if you want.
I'm sure it will be mentioned in the credits  ;) 

S.

#152 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

You are more than welcome to use my supplement for information, copy paste it if you want.
I'm sure it will be mentioned in the credits  ;) 

Cool- thanks!

#153 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

ANy charts needed for your section Adeptus-B? I haven't had the time to collect my thoughts for my part (moving on friday, woot!), but I can certainly find time to make some charts or stuff. 

Some of the stuff I've done so far: 

http://www.darkreign...-2013/hand-outs

http://www.darkreign...and-system-maps

#154 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

ANy charts needed for your section Adeptus-B? I haven't had the time to collect my thoughts for my part (moving on friday, woot!), but I can certainly find time to make some charts or stuff. 

Not for Chapter 4, but we'll need some for Chapter 2, listing the Skills and whatnot for the Alternate Ranks. I'll PM you when I have something ready to post.

Speaking of Chapter 2, I've done a little jiggering on that as well:

CHAPTER 2: PC Options (needs a name- SUFFER NOT THE ALIEN, maybe?)

To hate the Alien is both religion and law in the Imperium of Man. The Emperor Himself decreed that Humanity alone was to rule the galaxy; xenos violate this holy proclamation by their very existence. Many go further still in their blasphemies: waging war on the Imperium, enslaving humans for unspeakable purposes, and corrupting Imperial citizens with the enticement technological wonders not sanctioned by the Priesthood of Mars. All of these crimes earn the galaxy’s many xenobreeds the rightful sentence of extermination, and justify the teachings to the Ecclesiarchy on the subject: “Listen not to the alien, look not upon the alien, speak not unto the alien!”

Yet, in Mankind’s unending war among the stars, some Imperial servants must listen, look, and even speak unto the alien, if the alien’s tactics are to be understood and their weaknesses exploited sufficiently to ensure their total destruction. The most numerous of these Imperial citizens who are asked to risk their very souls through contact with xenos are without question the men and women of the Imperial Guard, who seek to enact the destruction of vile aliens through direct combat. One cannot very well put a lasgun shot through the eye of an Ork without looking upon the alien, after all. Hence, combat forces are exempted from that prohibition for the greater glory of the God-Emperor (-though a regiment’s complement of Commissars and Confessors are expected to keep a vigilant watch for any sign of corrupting influence amongst the ranks caused by contact with the damnable alien; any sign of corruption- in thought or deed- is quickly ‘excised’ before the vile cancer can spread).

Among the officer cadre charged with directing the war against the hated alien, still greater leeway is given, for they must be able to anticipate the actions of the enemy in order to prosecute a successful campaign. This requires an understanding of an alien adversary’s psychology and culture- even though such knowledge may well court madness. A potential officer must be carefully screened before being elevated to a position of command, lest they turn out to be vulnerable to corruption from the insights into the alien mind that inform their battlefield tactics.

Then there are the Imperial agents who collect intelligence on xeno warhosts to provide those officers with the information needed to make appropriate decisions about how best to eradicate an alien menace. These spies and assassins must endure contacts with aliens that would surely drive a normal citizen to blackest despair, yet this is a sacrifice that must be endured, to ensure Mankind’s victory against the Enemy Without.

And finally, there is the Ordo Xenos. No one else can begin to grasp the alien horrors upon which the Inquisitors and operatives of the Ordo Xenos are forced to gaze on a regular basis. Hence, those recruited for service in the Holy Ordos must be made of stern stuff indeed. The Inquisition is always looking for individuals who can bring special abilities to bear in the war against the threat of the alien.

(incomplete)

Part 1: New Origins

• Changeling (a human raised by Eldar to fulfill the prophesy of a Farseer)
  • Collegus Xenorum (a xeno-studying college on Archaos, mentioned in The Koronus Bestiary p.101)
  • -Others needed

Part 2: New Background Packages

• Freed Thrall (a former slave liberated from the Orks)*
  • Raid Survivor (someone scarred by a horrific alien attack)*
  • -Others needed

*See first drafts earlier in this thread.

Part 3: New Alternate Ranks

• Archaeoxenologist (excavator of xeno sites- the name is taken from the Eisenhorn novels)
  • Diplomatist (an authorized negotiator with xenos)
  • Scalp-Taker (a hunter of alien bounties)
  • Xenophile (a collector of forbidden art and artifacts)
  • -Others needed

Part 4: New Cell Directives

• I've seen one posted in the House Rules section (this) that we might be able to borrow...
  • -Others needed

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS