Radical Inquisitors enlisting Xenos

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

We have radical inquisitorial groups that loosely ally with Daemonic creatures but what about inquisitorial groups enlisting rogue xeno characters?

I would like to see a supplement for this similar to the Radical's Handbook. It could detail alternate xeno character generation such as Eldar or Tau. I feel it could be a nice addition to such an unexplored sub-sector.

#2 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

We have radical inquisitorial groups that loosely ally with Daemonic creatures but what about inquisitorial groups enlisting rogue xeno characters?

I would like to see a supplement for this similar to the Radical's Handbook. It could detail alternate xeno character generation such as Eldar or Tau. I feel it could be a nice addition to such an unexplored sub-sector.

If they ever do allow Xeno characters, I hope they take the approach of setting a minimum starting rank to avoid contorted fluff effects such as young elder or small orks in an attempt to balance everything.

But the thing is, it's very hard to play Xeno characters without massively compromising the setting when on most worlds and vessels, a xeno would be hunted down immediately. I suppose you can just about get away with a heavily cloaked eldar, but you're going to have to make sure that hood never slips. It makes more sense in Rogue Trader to have Xeno characters and personally, if they do it, I'd like to see it as part of a Rogue Trader expansion to DH2. They've said they're not going to re-do the other books, just DH. But you never know... It would be a chance to finally get a near unified system and if you're going to put things like Eldar in, people are going to want to be playing Eldar Pirates and the Aspect Warriors. At which point, you're getting into Rogue Trader and Space Marine territory (semi-respectively).

Edited by knasserII, 24 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

I lack credentials.

#3 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

I suppose in this case if an inquisitor has xeno affiliations, they should be NPCs. Does anyone know of any instances in the fluff where an Inquisitor even enlisted a xeno as a partner? I'm sure they have worked together against a mutual greater foe but i'm referring to a more permanent relationship similar to a radical inquisitor and a daemonic ally. 

#4 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I suppose in this case if an inquisitor has xeno affiliations, they should be NPCs. Does anyone know of any instances in the fluff where an Inquisitor even enlisted a xeno as a partner? I'm sure they have worked together against a mutual greater foe but i'm referring to a more permanent relationship similar to a radical inquisitor and a daemonic ally. 

None that I know of, but I'm not widely read in the novels so in there somewhere maybe. However, I can't imagine it being a remotely acceptable thing to most. WH40K is a game of violent xenophobia and religious mania. And a Xeno would have to have non-religious reasons for serving in the Inquisition, e.g. as a mercenary or under threat to something it cares about. It can't really be a religious supporter of a belief system that preaches it has no right to even live. Can you / should you have acolytes that are actually heretics (non-believers) themselves?

But some people want to play xenos. That's why I raised the possibility of doing it under a Rogue Trader expansion. It would cause fewer problems there by far.

I lack credentials.

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

... Does anyone know of any instances in the fluff where an Inquisitor even enlisted a xeno as a partner? I'm sure they have worked together against a mutual greater foe but i'm referring to a more permanent relationship similar to a radical inquisitor and a daemonic ally. 

In the last book in the Eisenhorn trilogy, Ravenor (who, after being crippled in the previous book, has spent the last several years receiving tutelage in using his psychic abilities from Eldar) arranges for a group of Dire Avengers to accompany Inquisitor Eisenhorn on a particular mission, but I don't think that's the kind of 'partnership' you are talking about...

#6 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

Well, Xenos Hybris was a radical Inquisitorial faction in Calixis, and their focus was learning from and integrating with Xenos for the betterment of mankind, so I don't doubt they'd make use of the occasional Xeno ally.

• seanpp likes this

#7 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

I think it could be integrated like in Rogue Trader as "Sanctioned Xenos".

BUT: it should be a very limited option, and it should not be allowed to have more than 1 in the group (there also should be a reason why it has to be a xenos).

Most suitable for travelling in disguise would maybe be an Eldar, so an Eldar Ranger role would be interesting (maybe even an outcast of his own kind...)

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#8 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

There's actually plenty of fluff precedent for this sort of thing, just not really in the FFG material.

An alien allies type book isn't something I'm interested in personally, but I guess I can see how it'd be a good idea at some point.

#9 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I would prefer a new version of the radicals handbook, but enhancing its scope on xenos allies.

#10 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't think sanctioned Xenos have much place in a Dark Heresy campaign, save for the rare few who can maintain basically constant disguise. They work for Rogue Trader because Rogue Trader isn't focused on subtlety and intrigue. In Dark Heresy, they'd be a huge issue for the group, because subtlety tends to get compromised when you're dragging around an alien creature that your average Imperial citizen will either want to murder, or run away from as fast as possible. 

I think they have potential as, say, hireable mercenaries for specific jobs, but definitely not PCs.

#11 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

To be honest the prospect of hiring Xenos and such stuff would be better served by being dealt with in an Ordo Xenos book.

#12 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think it'd be worth discarding the concept of a 'radical's handbook' and instead do three Ordo books, covering the radical AND puritan sides of each faction. It'd be easier to contrast the clashing ideologies and give examples for leading puritan parties down the path of radicalism that way.

• Timberboar, Brother Orpheo and GauntZero like this

#13 Luddite

Luddite

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Aliens are common across the Imperium, and while they may be rarer on 'core' worlds, out on the fringes humans and aliens coexist quite happily.  Until i guess the Ministorum/puritans turn up to fire up their racist rants of course.

The 'icon' aliens are well established as being an acceptable sight within the Imperium; ork freebooters, eldar or kroot mercenaries, etc.  Then of course there are all manner of other aliens like the jokaero.

Inquisitors (and not just radicals) will definitely use aliens where their skills will come in useful.

• Elior likes this

#14 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

One thing I've always found questionable about Freebooters; wouldn't having one in your retinue basically mean you're seeding Ork spores everywhere you go? Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.

#15 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I don't see why it would be any more of a crime having xeno allies vs having daemonic allies. I've just always wondered why FFG or Black Library never covered this angle pertaining to radical inquisitors.

• seanpp likes this

#16 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think it'd be worth discarding the concept of a 'radical's handbook' and instead do three Ordo books, covering the radical AND puritan sides of each faction. It'd be easier to contrast the clashing ideologies and give examples for leading puritan parties down the path of radicalism that way.

Absolute supporter of this!

Three Ordo books which cover puritans, radicals, specialties and enemies of the specific ordos.

This would be awesome.

In this context, I could well think about one or two subtle sanctioned xenos classes.

#17 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Tau and Eldar are probably the most viable, if this is a path FFG go down. They both have a lot of potential as allies to an Inquisitor because they're some of the most diplomatic Xenos, and they could easily disguise themselves as humans with some well covering disguises. 

#18 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

The Tau and Eldar both have common ground with the Imperium as far as enemies go as well.

#19 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Tau could easily have a lot of packed in versatility in terms of the different castes, too. I'm not a huge supporter of playable Xenos in Dark Heresy, but if I had to have them, I'd definitely gravitate towards Tau.

#20 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

To be honest the prospect of hiring Xenos and such stuff would be better served by being dealt with in an Ordo Xenos book.

I would vote for this option, too. Not only would it be more useful to me, but it would provide an interesting contrast to DH1 supplements. I definitely don't want supplements that are just updated versions of previous books.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS