Basic force question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Right. I suddenly realised I might have had something wrong.

If activating Sense to read surface thoughts at short range, that would cost 3 force points right?

1 = basic power

+1 = control upgrade

+1 = range upgrade

Right?

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#2 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

I reread the relevant sections and you know, it's not clear. It looks like to me that the first Control upgrade on the right side of the tree has an effect that's different than the effect of the base power (reading thoughts vs emotional state).

I think you could spend one O to activate the Control upgrade to read surface thoughts and then one more O to do it at short range.

If you wanted to read surface thoughts and emotions at short range, that would cost OOO.

That's how I read it, anyway. Anyone else?

#3 khaine1969

khaine1969

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it's only two points. with this particular power the control your talking about (Sense thoughts) adds a additional way to use the power rather then building on the base power like the other trees. So one point to use the sense thought function of the power, and one to activate your range ranks. An official ruling would be nice.

In support of this consider the base power itself, It has two "functions" each costing a point. The control talent in question adds a third "function" to the power, it doesn't build on either of the first two.

T

Edited by khaine1969, 24 August 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Success requires no explanation, Failure allows none.

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Right. I suddenly realised I might have had something wrong.

If activating Sense to read surface thoughts at short range, that would cost 3 force points right?

1 = basic power

+1 = control upgrade

+1 = range upgrade

Right?

Actually, I've been reading that as costing 2 Force Points, as the Control Upgrade effectively replaces the Basic Power's effects.  Unless you also wanted to read the target's emotions, at which point I'd say it'd cost 3 Force Points.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS