Love the game - Hate deckbuilding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Accolonian

Accolonian

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have been playing with the core set for a little while (Just the standard decks), and now I have just bought all the expansions (6 x genesis cycle + C&C) . I am sitting here, looking at all the cards and just realised why I don't play Magic anymore. I absolutly hate deckbuilding ! :D

When I want to play the game, I just wanna pick up two decks and start playing. So what I want now is to just put together some decks once and for all. I was hoping to put together a deck for each of the 7 factions and have them balanced out, so all combinations are playable against each other.

But I realise some problems with this approch.

Firstly, there simply doesn't seem to be enough neutral cards to make this work. Some of the economic cards seems to be mandatory in all decks.

Secondly, the influence rule seems to indicate, that you need to mix it up instead of making "monocolor" decks (to use a magic term)

So I need some advise. How do I get these decks I want? Can you make mono-faction decks without neutrals and still make them playable? Do anyone know of some decklists, that might make this happen?

#2 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm not in a position to truly say, but I think that trying to make single-faction decks is only going to cause you problems long term. Each faction has weaknesses to their playstyles, and the influence system is your way to help shore up those weaknesses (just as a basic example, I'm sure you can see how much more useful Gordian Blade is than Peacock).

Also, as you seem to have noticed already, some cards are practically auto-include in many decks (I don't see many people without Sure Gamble/Hedge Fund for example). Whilst you certainly CAN build a functional deck without these cards (as shown by the decklists in C&C) they won't necessarily be as effective.

#3 BoardGames.BG

BoardGames.BG

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

It's a competitive game resolving around deckbuilding, you cannot expect anything else.

Problem is that you need 2x Core sets, I hate this about FFG sometimes. It is even worse in SW LCG, you need 2x EoD expansions as well there.

You can probably make two corps (HB and something else) and two runners (Noise and some other) with what you have and still you need more cards to do it right.

#4 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I have been playing with the core set for a little while (Just the standard decks), and now I have just bought all the expansions (6 x genesis cycle + C&C) . I am sitting here, looking at all the cards and just realised why I don't play Magic anymore. I absolutly hate deckbuilding ! :D

Easy. Don't deckbuild, then. Just look up some custom decks online and try 'em out. Problem solved! ;)

• Damoel and Internutt like this

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#5 bourgman

bourgman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

You could also just play it like the original Netrunner -- without identities.  Just include whatever cards you want in your corp and runner deck and ignore influence limits.  They would be stupidly powerful decks in legal play, but if you just want to play against a buddy and you're both playing with illegal decks, I don't think that'd be a problem.

Perhaps that format would favor the corp side since the Agendas are normally restricted to in-faction only...  Hard to be sure without playing it out.  You might need to make agenda restrictions.  And now we're back to the original problem.

#6 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

As a resource, CardGameDB.com gives folks the ability to publish their decks for others to see. I would try to peruse that for lists to slap together.

The idea of making the game in to a standalone card game could work, but it would probably take more deck building and tweaking to balance it then playing it in the "normal" style. You could give it a go however.

The game is certainly balanced around influence, to the point, I suspect, where some cards are designed around other factions making more use of them then the home faction. This may not matter, however, in a completely closed system. Since you can shore up, or power down, and factions that become out of line.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS