Never under estimate your players.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Trader Austin

Trader Austin

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

it was my turn to gm so i came up with a lure of the expanse type game. the current warrant holder sends out his many children to earn a certain amount of pf. he gives them about 50 options to do this. most require 5 to 6 or more to come up with the required pf. however it could be done with just 2. kill a nid hive ship and make it back alive to collect the bounty, and re-capture a ark mechanicus that a group of pirates and herateks had betrayed and stolen. with out damaging any of the systems on board. 

these weren't serious ideas of mine just thrown in as filler and something to kill off a few siblings. 

the players had other ideas. insane but effective ideas. their ship had a teleportium. this comes in later. first thing they do is cut a deal with the magos of the lathes for a dozen best quality stasis units. they proceed to convert them into traps while on their way to catachan. after arriving they proceeded to trap 12 greater barking frogs with the stasis traps. only killed about 1/10 of the crew and several outposts. heading back to the expanse they lost 4 of the 12 frogs and had to replace the crew 3 times and burning 2 fate each. they proceeded to track down the ark and found it just as a sibling did. poor lil sis became the test subject of the first one. teleporting a frog to the air recyclers of a lunar class cruiser. no survivors. 2 more to the ark's enviro plants and one down. they lost 2 going through the gate. replaced the crew again and burn another fate point. found hive ship and used same strategy. 3 frogs to different parts of the ship. killed 3 cubic kilometers of the beast and drove the rest of the creatures insane from the sudden shock of losing such a large chunk of the collective hive mind. 

did not see that strategy coming. just goes to show never under estimate your players. 

#2 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

*Looks up this creature*

...Wow...

#3 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

*Looks up this creature*

...Wow...

Just did that myself. Wow indeed. It's probably the single stupidest creature I've read about in 40k.

Still, good plan on behalf of the players.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#4 Lohandria

Lohandria

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

I have to respect their idea, and how they stuck with it. Oh i wonder if the new crews were told or if they simply became whispered stories in the under decks. though i wonder how the morality had been on board lol or if no one had a chance to even consider mutiny

"Why is it terrible to hire Xenos? It is not like I am sitting at my meals with them. All I am doing is allowing the enemies of the Empire of man war against each other-with one side funded and directed by me"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, umm i accidentally found an army and you will not believe how-I found them on a ship I was planning to crash into a planet. Unrelated news look at my new ship."

#5 DocButcher

DocButcher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Where can I find this creature? I have checked RT and DH core rulebooks and am about to check the others but just in case it is in a supplement or newer source could someone tell me where this creatures specifics can be found?

#6 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

How would the ship have survived the transit? The Barking toad's gas is Acidic! The inside of the ship would have been mush! 

#7 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Where can I find this creature? I have checked RT and DH core rulebooks and am about to check the others but just in case it is in a supplement or newer source could someone tell me where this creatures specifics can be found?

Same place you'd find a Zoat, really. They're fluff from First Edition that have never had rules. Frankly it's a bit of metagaming, because unless the character had the relevant training to know about them, they would have had no reason to think of using them in such a manner.

• El_Jairo and Sebastian Yorke like this

#8 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

Same place you'd find a Zoat, really. They're fluff from First Edition that have never had rules. Frankly it's a bit of metagaming, because unless the character had the relevant training to know about them, they would have had no reason to think of using them in such a manner.

I think I disagree here. If the Player had taken the "Deathworld" Homeworld option he could be from Catacha and therefore could actually know about (And be terrified of) this critter.

#9 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

As covered by 'relevant training'.

#10 HarlequinR

HarlequinR

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Brilliant example of lateral RT thinking and nice to see the best bit of wildlife Catachan has thrown at itself.

#11 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

How would the ship have survived the transit? The Barking toad's gas is Acidic! The inside of the ship would have been mush! 

He says they used stasis pods.  Acid requires time to work.

• Tenebrae and El_Jairo like this

#12 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

Never underestimate how dumb 40k lore can be.

More to the point, why are you resurrecting this thread?

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS