• 146 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

wow I love it

#42 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

The numbers are all off for me, sadly.  They don't appear in their boxes.

wonky_zpsdd9ee0a4.jpg

I also discovered I have 10 extra XP I haven't spent... I think...

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#43 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

The numbers are all off for me, sadly.  They don't appear in their boxes.

wonky_zpsdd9ee0a4.jpg

Hmmm... it might have something to do with your resolution or your desktop settings.  It looks like it's not properly stretching the panel background.  I'll see if maybe making it the correct size from the get-go will fix it.

Thanks for the report!

Oggy

Edit:  Actually, I checked and the image isn't being stretched.  Are you configured to use a desktop theme by any chance?  Is your resolution not at a standard 72dpi?  What's the character sheet look like?  Are things similarly out of place?

Edited by OggDude, 27 August 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.2.0, Released 9/19/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#44 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

There's always the possibility that I have an issue with experience calculations.  However, every change you make could positively or negatively effect your available experience.  For instance, if you buy up a skill to rank 5, then make a change somewhere that gives you an extra rank in the skill, your bought ranks will be adjusted so that total ranks isn't over 5.  That might cause you to have a "mystery" gain in XP.

If you do find some combination of things that you believe gives incorrect XP totals, just tell me what you did and I'll check it out.

Oggy

Edited by OggDude, 27 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.2.0, Released 9/19/2014) 

#45 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

General Note

If you're wondering where to begin with entering descriptions, I would start with talents.  Talent descriptions are the only ones that appear on your character sheet; the rest are just for convenience as you use the generator.  So, create your character, then do a print preview for your sheet.  Go to page 3 and take a look at all of the talents and force powers that show up.  Make a note of them and go into the editor and add descriptions just for them.  Don't be too verbose with talent descriptions; there's limited real estate for them on the character sheet.  I recommend using the terse descriptions found in the talent trees, as opposed to the long-winded descriptions found in the Talents chapter.  If a description has something like "per ranks in BlahBlah", shorten it to just "per rank."  Also, DON'T USE HEADERS IN TALENT DESCRIPTIONS.  You won't like the result on the character sheet.

If you use the as-you-need-it approach to adding descriptions for talents, you shouldn't get bogged down or frustrated entering them in for hours at a time (I know this from experience).  Of course, if you have the time... :)

Oggy

Oggy

#46 MosesofWar

MosesofWar

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

This looks phenomenal. I know myself and others would definitely use it for character creation. It would be neat if you could upload a picture of your created character!

“I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master”

#47 Nashable

Nashable

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Played with it and it looks nice. It seems you're not reducing the encumbrance on worn items by 3 for armor.

Member of the Brick Vader fan-club (NSFW)
Author of the award winning Ship Repair for GMs (Detailed | Simple)

#48 AndreKeller

AndreKeller

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Amazing job. Just going to throw out the stuff I noticed. Like the above poster, it doesn't take into account the encumbrance of worn armor being lowered by 3. There is no medpac, only emergency medpac, but it has encumbrance of 2 like a medpac. I run a droid marauder and he started with 2 ranks in melee, I've upgraded melee 3 times, which has cost me 15/20/25 exp for a total of 60xp. In your character builder, it ignores the 2 ranks I got from my career/specialization, and charged me 5/10/15 exp for melee 3/4/5, giving me 30 extra xp. I started with a brawn of 4 and used my first rank of dedication on brawn, which correctly increases my soak, but incorrectly increases my wound threshold. I also had some of the aforementioned resolution problems, where I use a relatively low one since I use a tv for my monitor. It is fixed by just upping my resolution, but I don't really want to do that everytime I use this program. I got several random crashes, most often when I clicked through the sections rapidly.

Outside of bugs and onto features, perhaps allow us to put in custom backgrounds/obligations/ambitions? If this is an option, I couldn't find it.

That is all I can think of. Fantastic work. I signed up for an account here so I could pass on these bugs and let you know what a great job you did. Mad respect.

#49 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Played with it and it looks nice. It seems you're not reducing the encumbrance on worn items by 3 for armor.

Could you tell me what page that rule is on?

Oggy

Oggy

#50 AndreKeller

AndreKeller

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

#51 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Got it.  Equipped armor will now contribute 3 less to your encumbrance value, to a minimum of 0.

Thanks,

Oggy

Oggy

#52 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well, after tinkering with the data to make sure the fine legal minds at LucasFilm or Disney or FFG or wherever won't have a problem with anything, I think we're ready for the primary release of the character generator.  Here it is!

SW:EotE Character Generator 1.0 Release

Hey FYI... you should go back and put a link in your Original post. Most people if looking for it will look in original post.

#53 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Amazing job. Just going to throw out the stuff I noticed. Like the above poster, it doesn't take into account the encumbrance of worn armor being lowered by 3. There is no medpac, only emergency medpac, but it has encumbrance of 2 like a medpac. I run a droid marauder and he started with 2 ranks in melee, I've upgraded melee 3 times, which has cost me 15/20/25 exp for a total of 60xp. In your character builder, it ignores the 2 ranks I got from my career/specialization, and charged me 5/10/15 exp for melee 3/4/5, giving me 30 extra xp. I started with a brawn of 4 and used my first rank of dedication on brawn, which correctly increases my soak, but incorrectly increases my wound threshold. I also had some of the aforementioned resolution problems, where I use a relatively low one since I use a tv for my monitor. It is fixed by just upping my resolution, but I don't really want to do that everytime I use this program. I got several random crashes, most often when I clicked through the sections rapidly.

Outside of bugs and onto features, perhaps allow us to put in custom backgrounds/obligations/ambitions? If this is an option, I couldn't find it.

That is all I can think of. Fantastic work. I signed up for an account here so I could pass on these bugs and let you know what a great job you did. Mad respect.

Good stuff, Maynard!  Thanks for this.  I made the following adjustments:

• Armor encumbrance fixed, as stated previously.
  • Added Medpac and fixed Emergency Medpac.
  • Fixed XP calculation for skills by taking total rank XP and subtracting non-purchased rank XP
  • Modified wound and strain calculation by using only species Brawn and Willpower (from page 31).  Soak still calculated the same as it was.

Could you upload some screenshots of the resolution issues you're seeing?

Thanks,

Oggy

Oggy

#54 SavagePanda

SavagePanda

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

my only suggestion is to turn it into an app I can put on my Ipad. then I would me more than pleased with this wonderful program you have created. . .  I would be dancing in the streets.

PLEASE . . . Don't anger the Wookie.

my groups Obsidianportal campaign https://Shadows-On-t...idianportal.com

#55 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Correction on the wound and strain calculations...  Reading over page 31 again, I believe wound and strain is calculated using "starting" characteristics, which would be species base PLUS purchased stats.  It wouldn't make any sense if it was just species, since something like "10 + Brawn" would always yield the same exact result for each species.

Anyway, that's the change I made.  I'll probably make another build tonight with the changes I've accumulated today.  So far, those have been:

• Fixed armor encumbrance calculation, subtracting 3 from encumbrance value if equipped, to a minimum of 0.
  • Added MedPac to Gear.xml
  • Fixed the encumbrance of Emergency Medpac in Gear.xml
  • Fixed XP calculation for skills by taking total rank XP and subtracting non-purchased rank XP
  • Modified wound and strain calculations by using only starting Brawn and Willpower (species base, plus purchased), from page 31.
  • Fixed Rodian starting characteristic values
  • Fixed minor issue with the character's "dirty" flag being set whenever a new character was loaded and its credits or earned XP total was different than the previous character's.  This would cause the newly-loaded character to appear as being modified, enabling the "Save" button and prompting for it to be saved if a new character was loaded.
  • Fixed dice pool display for skills, which was not creating a proper dice pool based on skill rank and characteristic score, according to page 19.
  • Fixed the anchor of the "About" button so it stays in the proper place if the window is resized.
  • Some people were reporting graphical issues at lower resolution.  For the bottom summary panel, I forced the stat panel to stretch to fit a fixed size, then re-positioned the various text and values to match.  I'm hoping this will fix that problem.

Oggy

#56 AndreKeller

AndreKeller

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

http://postimg.org/image/t0dcbu317/

As you can see, I use a very low resolution. A scroll bar added to the side would accomodate me, however.

Regarding wound threshold, I fear you misunderstood me. I'm playing a droid marauder with 4 brawn and 3 ranks of toughness. My wound threshold is 20. When I purchased the dedication talent, I increased my brawn from 4 to 5. Your program correctly increased my soak by 1, but incorrectly increased my wound threshold by 1. Brawn only adds to wound threshold during character creation.

#57 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

As you can see, I use a very low resolution. A scroll bar added to the side would accomodate me, however.

Regarding wound threshold, I fear you misunderstood me. I'm playing a droid marauder with 4 brawn and 3 ranks of toughness. My wound threshold is 20. When I purchased the dedication talent, I increased my brawn from 4 to 5. Your program correctly increased my soak by 1, but incorrectly increased my wound threshold by 1. Brawn only adds to wound threshold during character creation.

Do you have a reference for that?

#58 TheErthafein

TheErthafein

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I tried the app and I really like it.  However, I didn't see where you could take extra obligation for extra XP and Cash.  I checked through the PDF and didn't see it either.  Am I missing it?

#59 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

No, I understood you :)  I was using the final Brawn calculation to determine wound, minus attachment Brawn, when I should have only been using the species base value, plus purchased value.  I did notice that attachments (for instance, the strength enhancing system) explicitly mentioned that it doesn't increase wound or soak, so I had that one handled.  I just didn't realize that other sources of Brawn didn't increase wound, either.  So... wound is calculated only from species base, plus purchased, while soak is calculated with any source of Brawn, with the exception of Brawn that comes from attachments.  That should work out OK.

Out of curiosity, what is the resolution of your monitor?  I'm guessing you're working with 600 vertical?

Oggy

#60 shidarin

shidarin

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Received a nicely worded request from FFG today to take down the DiceRoller app. All it had was rolling dice and critical hits, I'm not sure distributing blanks for all the descriptions is going to be enough here. :/

Oggy, do you have your settings set to get email from administrators? Might want to check that email...

:(

AT-DiceRoller

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS