Another Character Generator

• Please log in to reply
2429 replies to this topic

#21 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

THIS SHOT shows exactly what they will probably have a problem with. You have copied the descriptions from the book verbatim. That is the exact definition of breaking copyright. You have copied it exactly and it is not covered under "fair use".

Also, most companies do not like their official logos used. This is why SRD type systems like Pathfinder have a "special logo" to use for compatible products. They are similar but not the same.

That said, looks cool.

Edited by BrashFink, 25 August 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#22 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

so what type of program is it going to be? is it going to be excel or what type?

It's a Windows executable written in .NET using the .NET 4.0 framework.

Btw, here's what I've done so far on the data editor.  It'll allow you to edit the descriptions of all the various pieces of data used by the generator.  I'm also working on allowing you to add your own items to certain collections, such as weapons, armor, gear, and probably skills.

Oggy

• Sturn likes this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.2.1.0, Released 8/14/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#23 Valdier

Valdier

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

.Net is a great language for most any design these days. Can I ask, are you doing it in C#?

What is your data held in? XML Flat files? portable DB? As long as descriptions can be imported through some kind of file, I think this looks great.

#24 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

.Net is a great language for most any design these days. Can I ask, are you doing it in C#?

What is your data held in? XML Flat files? portable DB? As long as descriptions can be imported through some kind of file, I think this looks great.

Yes, I'm doing it in C#.  Data is stored in serialized XML for ease of access and portability.  You don't really need the data editor, of course, as I added everything by hand to the XML during development, but it makes it easier :)  As far as geeky things go, all of my data items are derived from a standard base class, so all of the description editing was done completely generically.  Adding new items, of course, required special forms for weapons, armor, gear, and skills.  Also, all tangible items (weapons, armor, and gear) are derived from another base "moddable item" class which is also derived from my standard data item class, so adding mods to items works the same across the board, assuming an item has hard points. This also allowed me to add base mods to gear that doesn't have hard points, such as the encumbrance boost for backpacks and utility belts, as well as the stat and skill boosts for cybernetic limbs and implants.

Oggy

• Valdier likes this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.2.1.0, Released 8/14/2014) 

#25 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

THIS SHOT shows exactly what they will probably have a problem with. You have copied the descriptions from the book verbatim. That is the exact definition of breaking copyright. You have copied it exactly and it is not covered under "fair use".

Also, most companies do not like their official logos used. This is why SRD type systems like Pathfinder have a "special logo" to use for compatible products. They are similar but not the same.

That said, looks cool.

Well, I still want it pretty for my own use, but when I release it, all of that will be gone and replaced with a data editor so you can type them in yourself.  And no, I'm not heartbroken about this, as the most boring part of this project was typing in text from the book.

I'm replacing the EotE logo with the "triumph" symbol, which is also the app's icon, as well as the generic image for equipment that doesn't have its own picture.  Hopefully, they won't have issue with that, as it's a fairly generic symbol.  If they do, I'll just make up something else that looks Star-Wars-y (crossed lightsabers?).

Oggy

• Synge likes this

Oggy

#26 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

That will probably help in keeping them off your back.

Love the detailed character sheets it makes.

#27 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Btw, here's what I've done so far on the data editor. It'll allow you to edit the descriptions of all the various pieces of data used by the generator. I'm also working on allowing you to add your own items to certain collections, such as weapons, armor, gear, and probably skills.

Awesome! I have new gear and tweaks to old gear I would love to add.

That will probably help in keeping them off your back.

...and more awesome. The adjustments you have made I also think will keep them, "off your back".

Thank you for doing this Oggy! And thank you for making the adjustments to keep your work alive.

#28 Lorne

Lorne

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Amazing work!  You will need to purge it of trademarks and copyrighted descriptions (fortunately, game systems cannot be copyrighted, only descriptions of), but do whatever you have to to make this happen and . . . keep the Empire off your back.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Di

"I'm sorry -- I had to purge the XML. I had no choice."

#29 Conviction

Conviction

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

I am so pumped for this, thank you Oggy!

#30 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

This is really impressive. Please keep us updated.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#31 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looks great. the only thing I would recommend is increasing the spaces for text in the actual sheet so you can fit more or in a larger font. Right now nearly half the available real estate is used up with graphics leaving only small boxes for the info you need.

Edited by FuriousGreg, 26 August 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

#32 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Amazing work!  You will need to purge it of trademarks and copyrighted descriptions (fortunately, game systems cannot be copyrighted, only descriptions of), but do whatever you have to to make this happen and . . . keep the Empire off your back.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Di

"I'm sorry -- I had to purge the XML. I had no choice."

OT - Is it just me or does every picture of Boba Fett look like he's a little knock kneed?

Edited by FuriousGreg, 26 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

#33 gwek

gwek

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

This is fantastic. I'm not sure if I've followed the entire conversation, but a few questions (apologies if they've already been answered):

1) If text is removed, would the generator be designed in such a way that a user could add their own text in?

2) Will there be customizable options (trees, skills, etc)? For example, my campaign has two Jedi players, so I'm currently fiddling with custom talent trees for them. Would there be any way for me to "build" that into my own version of your generator?

Regardless of the answers, this is great!

Thanks!

George

#34 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Looks great. the only thing I would recommend is increasing the spaces for text in the actual sheet so you can fit more or in a larger font. Right now nearly half the available real estate is used up with graphics leaving only small boxes for the info you need.

Thanks!  Exactly the type of recommendation I was looking for.  If people find the character sheets too "fancy" or graphics-heavy and want a more terse version, let me know.  Maybe I can create two different versions.

Oggy

Oggy

#35 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is fantastic. I'm not sure if I've followed the entire conversation, but a few questions (apologies if they've already been answered):

1) If text is removed, would the generator be designed in such a way that a user could add their own text in?

2) Will there be customizable options (trees, skills, etc)? For example, my campaign has two Jedi players, so I'm currently fiddling with custom talent trees for them. Would there be any way for me to "build" that into my own version of your generator?

Regardless of the answers, this is great!

Thanks!

George

1) I've created a data editor that will allow you to modify all descriptions so that you can eliminate the default "For details, please see page X" descriptions I was forced to add.  You'll also be able to modify the stats of a few items, such as armor, gear, weapons, and skills.

2) All careers and specializations are contained in separate XML files.  While the data editor only gives you a front end to modify just a few portions of the data, you can always get down-and-dirty with the XML files.  The Data directory contains two other directories, "Specializations" and "Careers".  Each contain XML files that describe the specializations and careers available for the generator.  For instance, there's a "Bounty Hunter.xml" file for bounty hunters, an "Assassin.xml" file for the Assassin specialization, etc.  You can create your own career by adding a new XML file to the Careers directory (for instance, "Jedi Master.xml").  Likewise, you can create new specializations for your Jedi Master by adding XML files for specializations (for instance, "Jedi Consular.xml").  The career files reference previously defined skills and specializations by a key value.  The specialization files reference talents defined in the "Talents.xml" file.  And, of course, you can always add new talents if you want as well.  As long as all the files are present, and all the references are valid, the new classes and specializations will show up in the generator.

Doing all of this goes beyond the scope of the documentation I'll be including :), but you should be able to figure out the structure of the files.  If not, just ask me and I'll tell you how they're organized.

Oggy

• Synge, Sturn and yugwen18 like this

Oggy

#36 yugwen18

yugwen18

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Can't wait to play with the character editor!

#37 AgentJ

AgentJ

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Wow that looks so awesome, can't wait to give it a go.

Thanks,

J

#38 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Well, after tinkering with the data to make sure the fine legal minds at LucasFilm or Disney or FFG or wherever won't have a problem with anything, I think we're ready for the primary release of the character generator.  Here it is!

SW:EotE Character Generator 1.0 Release

This is a Windows-only release.  Just unzip and copy to a directory.  Make sure you include all of the data.  You'll also need the full .NET 4.0 framework installed (not just the Client install).  More than likely, this is already installed on your computer, but if not, you can find it here.

There's two executables.  SWCharGen.exe is the character generator, while SWCharGenDataEditor.exe allows you to update the pathetically uninformative descriptions I was forced to use for everything.  It will also allow you to update armor, weapons, gear, and even skills.  There's also a 13-or-so page PDF that passes as documentation.  It should go over all major points of the generator and the editor.

For most questions, just post to these forums so everyone can benefit from the answer.  If you want to contact me directly, send me email at oggdude42@gmail.com.

Enjoy!  Oh, and one more thing... there's not a lot of error trapping in this thing :) so if you modify the data and you did something wrong, more than likely the app will just crash.  I'll work on making it more error-friendly in future releases.

Oggy

Edited by OggDude, 27 August 2013 - 03:36 AM.

• yugwen18, Josep Maria and Lorne like this

Oggy

#39 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

The application is awesome! Thank you so much :D

It has a few resolution problems (at least in my computer). If need any specific report I'll send it.

Again, thank you so much!

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#40 Midnightmaniac

Midnightmaniac

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

U did a really great work!!!

thx a lot for the job :) I think an entire world owe u something for that :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS