Another Character Generator

• Please log in to reply
3011 replies to this topic

#2181 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

I searched around for this bug info, but I could not find anything, so I hope this is not a repost. 

Potential Bug:

During Character creation the default career and spec are Smuggler/Pilot. Now if i go purchase a second universal spec (Force exile) and then go back and change my career, the cost for the second spec drops by ten. So now I have my career and my career spec and a universal spec for the cost of 10 XP not 20. 

I know per the book it says choose career and spec, then any other specs. I noticed this because a new player of mine shot me his character sheet  .xps and when I typed him into my Gen, the XP numbers were off, and I finally figured out why. 

I know this is not a huge deal or bug, just thought you might like to be aware of this if you weren't. 

I know some people will just click different careers and specs, looking at different options, then go back to their original idea, and may never notice the XP cost change. Especially if they are new to the system and your Generator. Which is awesome by the way. Thanks for this great program! 

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#2182 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Fixed the dice modifier problem in adversaries.  It wasn't always accessing the proper grid.

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.3.0, Released 10/3/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#2183 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I searched around for this bug info, but I could not find anything, so I hope this is not a repost. 

Potential Bug:

During Character creation the default career and spec are Smuggler/Pilot. Now if i go purchase a second universal spec (Force exile) and then go back and change my career, the cost for the second spec drops by ten. So now I have my career and my career spec and a universal spec for the cost of 10 XP not 20. 

I know per the book it says choose career and spec, then any other specs. I noticed this because a new player of mine shot me his character sheet  .xps and when I typed him into my Gen, the XP numbers were off, and I finally figured out why. 

I know this is not a huge deal or bug, just thought you might like to be aware of this if you weren't. 

I know some people will just click different careers and specs, looking at different options, then go back to their original idea, and may never notice the XP cost change. Especially if they are new to the system and your Generator. Which is awesome by the way. Thanks for this great program! 

Nope, you found a new one :)   The XP calculator was expecting the first specialization to be your starting spec.  If you purchased another spec, then changed careers, the starting spec wasn't first anymore and calculations got thrown off.  I modified the XP cost calculator for specs so it doesn't do that anymore.

• KevynnRedfern and R2builder like this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.3.0, Released 10/3/2014) 

#2184 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Yea look at me I contributed to the greater good!!  :D

• progressions and Roman Virtue like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#2185 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yea look at me I contributed to the greater good!!  :D

*monotone* The greater good

• Roman Virtue likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#2186 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

I have a feature request!

Is there a way to mark an item not as restricted but 'Unique' IE, when trying to add it or purchase it, the player is warned that they are not able to have this weapon unless the GM has given them express permission.

I've just had a PC die because a player had other commitments appearing in his life and I wanted make her signature weapon a named unique item. However some of my new players are thinking its a simple weapon they can buy from a store.

#2187 thorn-124

thorn-124

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Oggdude when will you have new stuff out?

#2188 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

When it's done ;)

• KevynnRedfern and R2builder like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#2189 Trinity351

Trinity351

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Ok, so I have one erata for Ogg and a tip for other users...
Ogg: neither the Corellian Compound Bow (Explosive) nor Corellian Compound Bow (Stun) should have knockdown or Cumbersome 3 (only the broadheads have those two qualities).

So this began as a request, then as I was typing, I figured if you did try to change anything based on what I was asking, it would probably cause more problems for other people than it would help solve.  So instead, here is some advice from me to anyone in a similar situation...

the Corellian Compound Bow (and it's ammo)
The bow is listed as 3 seperate items in the Character Generator (to account for each of the ammo types).
Someone asked a while ago for an ammo feature and it was suggested that we just add (not purchase) more of the bow types, then slect "Show" instead of "Held" or "Equipped" to mimmic the ammo/types.  However, the Bows have HP and items with HP cannot be stacked, so if we go this route, we have to add (in my case) 19 compound/explosive/stun bows, then add and subtract them individually as they're used (this can get messy).
Also, the ammo types cost different ammounts.  "[Broadheads] are cheap to replace; if the GM needs to set a price, he can charge 1 credit per arrow." (SoF97).  Explosive tipped arrows cost 50 and Stun arrows cost 60 (Table 3-1 SoF95).

So.
This is my work-around...
Start by modifying the Compound Bow: Make the damage 0, Crit 0, and remove all the qualities.
Next, modify the other two bows into ammo.  So I changed the "Corellian Compound Bow (Explosive)" to "Arrow (Explosive)," reduced the price to 50 and the HP to 0.  Likewise, I changed "Corellian Compound Bow (Stun)" to "Arrow (Stun)," reduced the price to 60 and HP to 0.
Finally, make a new weapon: "Arrow (Broadhead)" with damage 5; Crit 5; Cumbersome 3, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 1 and Pierce 1 qualities; cost 1

This will reflect having to purchase the bow (for 200), then purchase/add the ammo seperately (at their respective prices), still show the different damages/qualities of each type AND be able to stack the ammo while retaining the modularity of the individual Bow itself.   :D

Edited by Trinity351, 23 July 2014 - 10:56 PM.

• progressions likes this

Sometimes, when you stand no chance of winning, you can win just by standing up.

#2190 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

I have a feature request!

Is there a way to mark an item not as restricted but 'Unique' IE, when trying to add it or purchase it, the player is warned that they are not able to have this weapon unless the GM has given them express permission.

I've just had a PC die because a player had other commitments appearing in his life and I wanted make her signature weapon a named unique item. However some of my new players are thinking its a simple weapon they can buy from a store.

Hmmm... one thing you could do is to add all of the PCs into a group.  You can then bring up the group in GM Tools.   Transfer the weapon from the dead PC into the group inventory, then transfer it into whoever ends up inheriting it.  That way, if it has attachments, notes, etc., it'll all transfer properly.

Oggy

#2191 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

When it's done ;)

OK, I said I'd try to get it out early this week, but obviously, I've been delayed.  Besides all of the data updates, I added Imports for Perlemian Haul, Dead in the Water, and Takeover at Whisper Base.  I also ended up fixing the "PC adversary too complex" issue.  If any adversary is too complex to fit on a single page, it will now be split based on description sections (skills, abilities, talents, weapons, etc), so it can span multiple pages.  This only occurs for adversaries whose descriptions can't fit on a single page.  If it can, it'll work like before.  I did this because if I tried to conserve space and split everything up when it got to the bottom of the page, it made the encounter sheets really confusing with a majority of adversaries split up.  So, I try to keep all adversary info together if at all possible.

I also added both EotE and AoR "skins" to the apps.  They look the same, but some of the colors have changed, the main buttons are different, headers are different, etc.  You can select between the two skins from the launcher, and they affect all three applications.

Anyway, I just got the skins thing to work, so I still need to do some more testing and general screwing around with it to make sure everything is working OK.

• Andydriver, KevynnRedfern and swiftdraw like this

Oggy

#2192 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Ok, so I have one erata for Ogg and a tip for other users...
Ogg: neither the Corellian Compound Bow (Explosive) nor Corellian Compound Bow (Stun) should have knockdown or Cumbersome 3 (only the broadheads have those two qualities).

So this began as a request, then as I was typing, I figured if you did try to change anything based on what I was asking, it would probably cause more problems for other people than it would help solve.  So instead, here is some advice from me to anyone in a similar situation...

the Corellian Compound Bow (and it's ammo)
The bow is listed as 3 seperate items in the Character Generator (to account for each of the ammo types).
Someone asked a while ago for an ammo feature and it was suggested that we just add (not purchase) more of the bow types, then slect "Show" instead of "Held" or "Equipped" to mimmic the ammo/types.  However, the Bows have HP and items with HP cannot be stacked, so if we go this route, we have to add (in my case) 19 compound/explosive/stun bows, then add and subtract them individually as they're used (this can get messy).
Also, the ammo types cost different ammounts.  "[Broadheads] are cheap to replace; if the GM needs to set a price, he can charge 1 credit per arrow." (SoF97).  Explosive tipped arrows cost 50 and Stun arrows cost 60 (Table 3-1 SoF95).

So.
This is my work-around...
Start by modifying the Compound Bow: Make the damage 0, Crit 0, and remove all the qualities.
Next, modify the other two bows into ammo.  So I changed the "Corellian Compound Bow (Explosive)" to "Arrow (Explosive)," reduced the price to 50 and the HP to 0.  Likewise, I changed "Corellian Compound Bow (Stun)" to "Arrow (Stun)," reduced the price to 60 and HP to 0.
Finally, make a new weapon: "Arrow (Broadhead)" with damage 5; Crit 5; Cumbersome 3, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 1 and Pierce 1 qualities; cost 1

This will reflect having to purchase the bow (for 200), then purchase/add the ammo seperately (at their respective prices), still show the different damages/qualities of each type AND be able to stack the ammo while retaining the modularity of the individual Bow itself.   :D

I fixed the other two profiles to remove the Cumbersome and Knockdown qualities.  I also changed them to Ranged Light, because according to the devs, this is actually by design (although it still doesn't make much sense to me).

You don't need to add multiple copies of the bows to represent ammo.  Just add one of each that you'll use, then purchase the ammo separately (they're in "Gear").  Then just mark off the ammo that you use and remove it from your character the next time its updated.

• KevynnRedfern likes this

Oggy

#2193 Andydriver

Andydriver

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

When it's done ;)

OK, I said I'd try to get it out early this week, but obviously, I've been delayed.  Besides all of the data updates, I added Imports for Perlemian Haul, Dead in the Water, and Takeover at Whisper Base.  I also ended up fixing the "PC adversary too complex" issue.  If any adversary is too complex to fit on a single page, it will now be split based on description sections (skills, abilities, talents, weapons, etc), so it can span multiple pages.  This only occurs for adversaries whose descriptions can't fit on a single page.  If it can, it'll work like before.  I did this because if I tried to conserve space and split everything up when it got to the bottom of the page, it made the encounter sheets really confusing with a majority of adversaries split up.  So, I try to keep all adversary info together if at all possible.

I also added both EotE and AoR "skins" to the apps.  They look the same, but some of the colors have changed, the main buttons are different, headers are different, etc.  You can select between the two skins from the launcher, and they affect all three applications.

Anyway, I just got the skins thing to work, so I still need to do some more testing and general screwing around with it to make sure everything is working OK.

Amazing thank you so much for doing this, saves a TON of time in my campaign

#2194 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm just thankful you're still chipping away at it. This has been, without hyperbole, the most obscenely useful tool I've used in my ~12 years of GMing, official or otherwise. I'm sincerely impressed you're still supporting it nearly a year on as more than a few community made (and a few official) programs get abandoned shortly after becoming stable. I'm still trying to import LibrariaNPC's ship list into the system and I forgotten how tedious coding these things can be (its been 8+ years.) Serious props dude on keeping with it.

#2195 NicoJMont

NicoJMont

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

When it's done ;)

Amazing thank you so much for doing this, saves a TON of time in my campaign

Well said. I agree Ogg Dude this is very helpful.

So helpful as a community maybe we can do a give back donation to Ogg dude for all of his time and energy put into it. I am going to talk to my local Star Wars group and put together a donation pool from all of us to send to Ogg dude. I encourage others to do the same with their local group so we can ensure that Ogg dude continues the development of his app for a long time to come. I think it would be a cool way of all of us saying thank you. Plus by doing it as a group it can offset the burden of the donation coming from any one person.

Who is with me!
  • kaosoe and Grimmshade like this
Nicholas J Montgomery
(763) 286-1295
http://www.advicehomes.com

#2196 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

OK, it's ready!  If anything doesn't work, please let me know.

Release 1.2.0.0

New/Changed Data:

• Pretty much all data has been revisited and modified to support the two core rulebooks (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion).  Data specific to EotE has been given the "Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook" source, and all default page number descriptions have been updated and standardized.  For the most part, the AoR Beta data has been updated to the new AoR core rulebook, although items from Beta that were removed in the new AoR CRB have been retained as "Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook".
  • AoR adversaries have had their categories updated to the new categories found in the AoR CRB, and EotE adversaries have had their categories prefixed with "Edge of the Empire".
  • The Unofficial Species Menagerie has had all versions of the source combined into a single source.
  • Added an import for the Perlemian Haul adventure in the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, including adversaries, encounters, and a data set containing the new vehicles.  See the READ ME FIRST.txt file before importing.
  • Added an import for the Dead in the Water adventure in the Age of Rebellion GM's Kit, including adversaries, encounters, stock vehicles, and a data set containing the new vehicles.  See the READ ME FIRST.txt file before importing.
  • Added an import for the Takeover at Whisper Base adventure in the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game, including adversaries, encounters, and a data set containing the new vehicles.  See the READ ME FIRST.txt file before importing.
  • Updated the Trouble Brewing import folder to include encounters, plus a data set for the sentry droid and Z-TIE.  Also added images and silhouettes for the two vehicles.  See the new READ ME FIRST.txt file before importing.
  • Modified the two extra profiles for the Corellian Bow to remove incorrect qualities, and to change the skill to Ranged Light.

New Features and Enhancements:

• Source options have been enhanced to support a "core" source.  There are currently two "core" sources:  Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, and Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook.  When a source has been flagged as being a "core" source, it means that at least one them must be selected in order to have a workable set of data.  In the current situation, you must select either EotE, AoR, or both core sources.  If you want to create strictly an EotE character, just select the EotE core source.  If you want only to create an AoR character, just select the AoR core source.  If you want to combine both games, select both.  All other available sources are optional, as before.
  • Modified Motivations so that they support sources for specific motivations (this includes the data editor for specific motivations).  In this way, I was able to include the specific motivations from the AoR Beta that have been changed in the new AoR CRB.  If you want to only see the specific motivations mentioned in the new AoR CRB, then make sure that the "Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook" source is deselected.
  • Newly-added or modified adversaries should now be automatically selected when the edit dialog is closed.
  • Newly-added or modified encounters should now be automatically selected when the edit dialog is closed.
  • Added "skins" to the apps.  You can select from the original EotE skin, or the new AoR skin, from the launcher.  All three apps will work with the selected skin.

Bug Fixes:

• When printing out encounters, if one or more adversaries were too complex to fit onto a single page, strange things could happen, such as no pages being printed, or multiple pages being printed with just a "Notes" section.  The print routine will now split the description of such adversaries so that they will fit on multiple pages.  This will only occur if an adversary is at the top of the page (if it doesn't fit elsewhere, it will be put at the top of the next page automatically).  This will avoid adversaries with smaller description blocks being needlessly split and making the encounter sheet more difficult to use.
  • When deleting a data set in the data editor, if a problem occurred (for instance, a file was opened somewhere in the directory structure), the editor would get an exception.  The exception is now trapped and a warning dialog is displayed.
  • The data set import button was only enabled if a data set other than the default data  set was selected.  The import button is now always enabled.
  • When editing an adversary in the GM Tools, changing die modifier counts for Special Abilities would cause an error if something other than boost dice were being changed.  This no longer happens.
  • The experience calculator had a bug when purchasing an additional specialization, then changing your career.  The XP cost for purchasing specializations should now be correct.
  • Some specialization trees could still have an issue with enabling and disabling talents depending on the talents selected, and their connections.  I believe this only happened to talents in the corners where some of the connecting lines were rather oddly designed.  The one tree I found this in was the Infiltrator, where depending on how you arrived at it, the Dedication talent wouldn't always enable properly.  I fixed this by adding an additional pass to the tree traversal routine.

Oggy

#2197 Tassedar

Tassedar

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

new skin is slightly bright in red color but other than that good work sir

#2198 OggDude

OggDude

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

new skin is slightly bright in red color but other than that good work sir

Yeah, I was thinking about darkening up the buttons a bit.  But I did take screenshots of the AoR website to match the colors, so the RGB values should be correct.

Oggy

#2199 ddbrown30

ddbrown30

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm getting an exception every time I try to add a new motivation. This was working earlier this evening, so it's likely a bug with the new version. I have custom data (descriptions only) that I've had around through several versions. Here's the exception:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at SWCharGen.Form1.btnMotiveNew_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at SWCharGen.ImageButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

#2200 Trinity351

Trinity351

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

When I try to load the program, it gives me an error saying I can't install from this location, it's already installed from another location [paraphrased].

When I click on details, it gives me a bit of script to read, but the gist is that it has something to do with Google Drive.  I don't run the program from my Google Drive, so my guess was something with the updater.  Sure enough, if I start the program with no internet connection, it starts up fine.
I'm not sure if this is something to do with the update specifically or if it's just that too many people are trying to update right now, but I figured I'd mention just in case.

Sometimes, when you stand no chance of winning, you can win just by standing up.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS