Photo

Newbie to get buying (bet you never heard that before :)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hi.
I'm totally new to this game. As a matter of fact I have since it came out thought "Yawn. Boooriiing!" Then I got a little more curious yesterday and saw the toturial and went like "Aweeesome!" :)

So I'm going to get the game and place an order later today but I'd like some advise first. Beside the core set what would be a great buy to star out with? I can see two TIE fighters and one x wing are included so that makes me think maybe an alliance ship? I don't have much knowledge of the pilots from the SW universe beside Han and Luke and of cause Vader. I'm looking to get the core set and then one or two additional packs so we have a little to get going and start exploring :)

#2 Miko

Miko

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

http://community.fan...t-starting-out/

http://community.fan...w-starter-here/

http://community.fan...at-to-buy-next/

#3 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

That's. tried to look after other threads but overlooked all 3 of them :P stupid me and thanks for the links :)

#4 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Get ready to open your wallet and shake everything out...

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#5 krechevskoy

krechevskoy

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's. tried to look after other threads but overlooked all 3 of them :P stupid me and thanks for the links :)

There is really no good search feature for the forums, even with the google Stie: command. 

#6 Moore1980

Moore1980

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Typically, it goes like this

Core sets x2 (Extra dice, damage deck, ect, ect)

X-wing expansion (Pilots, and upgrade cards)

Tie Fighter expansion (Pilots)

Tie advanced expansion (Vader)

Y-wing expansion

Then when your cash catches up with you.

Falcon expansion

Slave One expansion

Tie Interceptor expansion x2

A-wing expansion

Now in Wave 2 you'll find things you like and you may pick up more than one expansion, like A-wings. Some love them and have say 2 or 3 it all depends on your taste and playstyle.

And again, once your wallet takes a breath Wave 3

I can't answer this properly, since wave 3 is "on the boat" and not in retail as of yet. But, you can assume that once it goes viral, it's going to be like blood in the water.. a feeding frenzy!

• aadh likes this

#7 Darth Landy

Darth Landy

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

2 Core Sets will give you a pair of X-Wings and 4 TIE Fighters, which is a good start since you can probably find the starters cheaper than buying three ships.  Like others have mentioned, this will give you extra dice and another damage deck as well.

However, it's worth noting that the core set does not include all of the X-Wing and Tie pilots.  If you want the others (i.e. Wedge), you'll need to pick up one of each of those expansions -- giving you 3 X-Wings and 5 TIES.  Currently, the most X-Wings the Rebels can have on a 100 point fleet is 4, so 3 is probably enough to hold you over for a while unless you really want to run four. 5 TIES is also pretty decent, but it is possible to run 8 in a squadron so that's something you need to decide.

The Falcon should be at the top of your want list for a few reasons: it's pretty strong in games, it's easy to play so it's great for newbies, and it's the most iconic starship in Star Wars!  :)

The rest really depends on personal preference. A-Wing will give you Push the Limit (which is a great card), but these ships can be tricky to play so I'd recommend starting with one.  TIE Interceptors are fantastic, especially if you've looking to field Soontir Fel.  TIE Advanced is necessary if you want Vader, but I would only start with one of that ship personally (although I haven't even found one in my area yet).

If cost is a factor, though, a good place to start is here:
http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

This way, you can see all the cards and what they do and which expansions they are available in, so you can build a squad you like and then pick up what you need that way.

Edited by Darth Landy, 24 August 2013 - 11:25 AM.

• mr.thomasschmidt likes this

Rebel Alliance: A-Wing (x3), B-Wing (x3), HWK-290 (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x2), Y-Wing (x1)
Galactic Empire: Firespray-31 (x2), Lambda Shuttle (x2), Tie Advanced (x1), TIE Bomber (x3), TIE Fighter (x8), TIE Interceptor (x2)

#8 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

2 Core Sets will give you a pair of X-Wings and 4 TIE Fighters, which is a good start since you can probably find the starters cheaper than buying three ships.  Like others have mentioned, this will give you extra dice and another damage deck as well.

However, it's worth noting that the core set does not include all of the X-Wing and Tie pilots.  If you want the others (i.e. Wedge), you'll need to pick up one of each of those expansions -- giving you 3 X-Wings and 5 TIES.  Currently, the most X-Wings the Rebels can have on a 100 point fleet is 4, so 3 is probably enough to hold you over for a while unless you really want to run four. 5 TIES is also pretty decent, but it is possible to run 8 in a squadron so that's something you need to decide.

The Falcon should be at the top of your want list for a few reasons: it's pretty strong in games, it's easy to play so it's great for newbies, and it's the most iconic starship in Star Wars!  :)

The rest really depends on personal preference. A-Wing will give you Push the Limit (which is a great card), but these ships can be tricky to play so I'd recommend starting with one.  TIE Interceptors are fantastic, especially if you've looking to field Soontir Fel.  TIE Advanced is necessary if you want Vader, but I would only start with one of that ship personally (although I haven't even found one in my area yet).

This way, you can see all the cards and what they do and which expansions they are available in, so you can build a squad you like and then pick up what you need that way.

Thanks to all for the good advises. Especially Darth Landy :) This has helped me a lot to deside.

#9 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

[Reposted from earlier thread]

Lots of experienced x-wing players will tell you you need a minimum of 6 tie-fighters, 4 x-wings and two of every other expansion ship. You need to get the booster expansions to get all the upgrades.

Depending on your budget, and depending if u were keen to expand into BOTH factions at the same time id go with this...

2x starter sets (2 x-wings, 4 ties included)

2x tie fighter expansion (wave1)

2x X-wing expansion (wave1)

1x tie advanced expansion (wave1)

1x Y-Wing expansion (wave1)

2x tie intercepter expansion (wave2)

1x A-Wing expansion (wave2)

this selection of ships will give u all the needed name pilots and a solid base of ships from which to build almost every squad. Then if you really want to build a squad with more ships eg. 8 tie- swarm, 2 Y-Wings and 2 A-Wings, then buy them. Honestly tho, the above selection will give you enough replay and options for all of the 'most played' squads.

Wave2, with its addition of large ships and the intercepter changed many squads and made them smaller with less ships required to build a competitive squad... while the tie-swarm was still viable, many players who opted for less ships and squads that included at least one large ship (Slave1 or Falcon) now could no longer afford as many support ships... some players even opted for running multiple big ships eg.(Hothies 2x Slaves + Howlrunner, Han Shoots First = Han+2 Rookie x-wings, or even 3x Bounty Hunters! )

Wave3 is going to shake things up again, its looking like two of each new ship (Lambda Shuttle, Moldy Hawk, Tie-Bomber, B-Wing) will be a must for x-wing players to add to the mix of possibilities for building new squads.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#10 Darth Landy

Darth Landy

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

One other thing: if you're planning on getting the capitol ships, you may only want to pick up one X-Wing expansion for now (giving you 3 if you get 2 core sets) because one with new pilots comes with the transport.

Edited by Darth Landy, 24 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Rebel Alliance: A-Wing (x3), B-Wing (x3), HWK-290 (x2), X-Wing (x4), YT-1300 (x2), Y-Wing (x1)
Galactic Empire: Firespray-31 (x2), Lambda Shuttle (x2), Tie Advanced (x1), TIE Bomber (x3), TIE Fighter (x8), TIE Interceptor (x2)

#11 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Get ready to open your wallet and shake everything out...

Compared to other Mini games, X-Wing is pretty cheep.  Flames of War, Warmachine/Hordes and Warhammer Fantasy/40k are all a Lot more expensive to get into.

I own enough stuff to put 7 100 point lists on the table, and have spent less then I did to put together a single 1750 point list for 40k

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS