Photo

Is AGoT somethings for me and what do I need ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 paulvanhoorne

paulvanhoorne

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

I have been playing several ccg for years now and recently got into the LCG. I really love the star wars ccg and the star wars LCG, not only because it's star wars but also how those games flow. I have played also MECCG and LOTR CCG, these are games I like, but certain aspects of the games can make sometimes very unbalanced. I also recently pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG but I play this only solo at home, what I like very much.

I also play a lot of magic and love this game. but sometimes mana flooded and mana screws can really be annoying. 

I have to following questions.

I want to know if AGoT would be something for me ?

I look at the tutorial but I'm not sure yet. Maybye someone can compare AGoT with the games mentioned above, and advice me if it would be something for me.

and what should I buy so I can play competitive at tournaments ?

At the moment I don't have a preference for a house.

All cardgames I play , I play them at (local) tournaments, so if I start playing I want to be competitive right away. When I play magic I play all sorts of decks, I'm not a huge fan of simple agro/burn decks, I like midrange, control, tricks decks.

So if somebody can give me some tips how each house (and the corresponding essential packs) are played, I would be grateful.

Anyway , thanks for your reply

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

When I was a kid, I competed in the pinewood derby and got a red ribbon for 3rd place. My car was named 'The Flash'.
  • Staton likes this

#3 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Game of Thrones game is similar to Magic, or the Star Wars LCG. Some of the key differences with Magic are the two card draw, the Plot deck, and the existence of three challenge types (Military, Intrigue, and Power) each with their own claim.

Of the three, the Plot deck is perhaps the best; a deck of 7 cards you play which will determine your base resources for each turn. No more "mana screwed", at least not to the same extent - and some powerful mind games of "which of his plots will he choose". 

The LCG distribution format makes it fairly easy to hunt down any cards you need once you have a competitive deck in mine, or just keep a full collection on hand. There's no rotation, so every card printed since the Core Set is legal for play. That includes 6 deluxe expansions, one per house, and 9 full 120 card "Chapter Pack cycles" (composed of 6 chapter packs each), as well as a single chapter pack of 20 cards from the newest cycle. 

The best place to start if you're interested in the game is to pick up a single core set, try a few games, then buy a second core set. It's the only product you'll need to buy more than one of, and without increasing your card pool or adding new rules, you'll get a feel for the flexibility of deck building. If after 2 core sets you like what you have, buy the deluxe expansion of your favourite house.

If you're looking to build ready-made competitive decks (not necessarily the best way to jump in) for cheap, check out the "First tilt" articles posted on cardgamedb.

• paulvanhoorne likes this

#4 sygmaghost94

sygmaghost94

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I would recommend A Game of Thrones to anyone who loves card games. I have played many different card games over the years (Magic included) but I have never found one game I like so much as AGOT. The game play itself can be very strategic for competitive players, or very relaxed and laid back for those who are looking to just mess around and have fun.

I love this game because it is an LCG. Back when I used to play CCGs, it would frustrate me at how much money I would spend on buying packs looking for that one card I need, just to have all of those cards become illegal in a few months. With AGOT, that is never the case. Every card in the LCG is legal to play and because you can look up what cards come in which packs, you never have to spend a lot of money card hunting again. 

The houses are all relatively equal so don't worry about picking a bad house. Like any other game, each house has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. If you're looking for a control/trick deck, you could go with Martell, Targaryen, or even Lannister. As for what to buy, start out with the core set and see what deck you like best. Then just go from there with expansions and chapter packs.

• paulvanhoorne likes this

#5 thorondor

thorondor

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

hi paul!

nice to meet you here ;-)

another reason for you to start with AGOT: you will have 2 opportunities per year to go to castle stahleck!

#6 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

hi paul!

nice to meet you here ;-)

another reason for you to start with AGOT: you will have 2 opportunities per year to go to castle stahleck!

TWO Opportunities?! I'm coming in November - when is/was the second tournament?!

#7 paulvanhoorne

paulvanhoorne

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I presume thoronder refers to the Middle Earth CCG tournanents also held at stahleck.
And with some luck, I will be there indeed
And win the tournanent, I guess the comment is probalily wishful thinking

#8 thorondor

thorondor

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

yes, i was referring to http://www.eaglecard.org/lureofmeccg/ where paul also shows up regularly.

~ but now that i am thinking of it: paul, you havent been there last year, have you? even without any excuse iirc. you will never wear that cap ...

#9 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

You can always come visit your southron neighnors and play with us as one of the Outpost centers. We play for fun because of the lack of players in this region, but it can only get better, right? :)

Start with the core set, play a couple of games etc. Second purchase should be another core set, unless you want to get 'competitive' from the get-go. In that case start with the house you like most and buy that deluxe expansion. Lannister or Targaryan, for example, are pretty decent imo with just their expansion.

Personally I don't see the need for truly competitive decks because of the lack of regional tourneys. We (well: I) just concoct some decklists and pit them against each other.

#10 paulvanhoorne

paulvanhoorne

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

I' m pretty sure I will be able to play AGoT tournaments in Aachen and of course Stahleck .

So where are those tournaments held in Belgium or the Netherlands ?
Are there enough players in the netherlands and Belgium for AGoT tournaments ?

#11 thorondor

thorondor

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

there are players in your region. 4 dutchies are coming to stahleck this year, from 2 different metas. and i know some more. and i have heard there are tourneys as well.

#12 scantrell24

scantrell24

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Check out the New player thread on Cardgamedb.

1st Place 2013 AGoT Regional (Kingsport, TN)

Crimson and Gold Author on Cardgamedb

The Comprehensive New Player Guide

Find Players In Your Area

#13 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

I have been playing several ccg for years now and recently got into the LCG. I really love the star wars ccg and the star wars LCG, not only because it's star wars but also how those games flow. I have played also MECCG and LOTR CCG, these are games I like, but certain aspects of the games can make sometimes very unbalanced. I also recently pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG but I play this only solo at home, what I like very much.

I also play a lot of magic and love this game. but sometimes mana flooded and mana screws can really be annoying. 

I have to following questions.

I want to know if AGoT would be something for me ?

I look at the tutorial but I'm not sure yet. Maybye someone can compare AGoT with the games mentioned above, and advice me if it would be something for me.

and what should I buy so I can play competitive at tournaments ?

At the moment I don't have a preference for a house.

All cardgames I play , I play them at (local) tournaments, so if I start playing I want to be competitive right away. When I play magic I play all sorts of decks, I'm not a huge fan of simple agro/burn decks, I like midrange, control, tricks decks.

So if somebody can give me some tips how each house (and the corresponding essential packs) are played, I would be grateful.

Anyway , thanks for your reply

What are you expecting from AGoT?

People have mentioned the plot phase, which is probably one of the more interesting phases of the game. There is a lot of doublethink in the phase due to the nature of the simultaneous decision of a potentially high impact card.

The game is also not structured like Magic. Turns are not simultaneous, but phases do not conclude until both players have an opportunity to act. It is not as one sided as the Star Wars LCG or MtG.

The best decks currently consist of a tendency towards effects that are more dependent on deck construction than play decisions. I don't want to minimize the impact of skill and good decision making during a game, but the best decks generally have effects that are not as dependent on good board-based decision making (think combat in MtG) as they are in good execution (Countering the right spell in MtG or Unsummoning the right creature). Most board based decisions have significant impact on play, but are secondary to the non board based cards. For example, Stark has a tendency to be reliant on board-based decisions which results in the non board-based cards and decisions being able to easily disrupt their gameplay.

The best way I can descibe AGoT comparted to MtG is that it is a more consistent MtG. There is no real way to get mana-screwed. You see a LOT more of your deck (in the prototypical top-level deck). Combos also tend to be fragile in AGoT.

I don't really think the Star Wars LCG and AGoT are all that comparable. They are so dramatically different in just about every way that there is no good way for me to compare them.

Hope that helps.

Edited by mdc273, 30 August 2013 - 02:19 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS