Blood of Gondor

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hey Fellow what up? I know some of you got this one on GenCon....

So please share with us info about a quest? Difficult number, what is like and so on...

Thank you

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#2 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Difficulty 6. Blood of Gondor is a pretty quick quest, in my experience, with only two quest stages. The main mechanic is "hidden cards" where cards from the encounter deck are placed in front of each player. Certain effects on the quest cards and encounter cards will make you flip over the hidden cards at certain points. If they are enemies, they immediately engage with you, but if they are locations or treacheries, then they are discarded. The quest simulates a big ambush, and thus most of the quest focuses on fast and furious fighting. It is not too difficult a quest as long as you bring combat capable decks to the table. It's not a bad quest by any means, but I have a feeling over the long term it'll be overshadowed by the other AtS quests.

• Bullroarer Took and danpoage like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#3 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Raven.  Did you play it solo or multi?

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#4 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

One thing that I will add is that it had some ally-hate, so I had a much better time of it with strong heroes combined with readying effects, rather than the typical "army of allies" strategy. Because of chaining shadow effects, A Burning Brand or Hasty Stroke are also recommended. Orc Ambusher, in particular is an interesting enemy: engagement threshold 10, 3 attack, 1 defense, 3 hit points. He has a forced effect that causes you to discard a non-objective ally after he engages, so you either need to spike him in the staging area, run light on allies (as I did), or have plenty of cannon fodder. The hidden mechanic can also lead to some lopsided games as you can get unlucky and suddenly have a mob of enemies engaging, all with chaining shadows, or smile as a bunch of nasty treacheries and locations are harmlessly discarded. I agree with Ian (Raven), this scenario will likely be overshadowed by some of the other great quests in this cycle.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

So which encounter sets does it use, please? 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I played it solo two-handed, with mono-Tactics and mono-Leadership deck. It only used one other set, the Ravaging Orcs set.

• spalanzani likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#7 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

I played it solo with Glorfindel (FoS), Mirlonde and Denethor and got crushed. Then I tried it again with Elladan, Elrohir and Legolas and was able to beat it relatively quickly. As Ian said, it is a short quest, particularly if you get a bit lucky with treacheries and locations as hidden cards.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

ok thanks. At least is like predict before.....So MV should be awesome.

We have 2 cool quest for now SF, ATO. And MV will be ok. so 3 quests in cycle is much better then previous cycles where is only 1 or 2 quests is ok.

#9 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

One thing that I will add is that it had some ally-hate, so I had a much better time of it with strong heroes combined with readying effects, rather than the typical "army of allies" strategy. Because of chaining shadow effects, A Burning Brand or Hasty Stroke are also recommended. Orc Ambusher, in particular is an interesting enemy: engagement threshold 10, 3 attack, 1 defense, 3 hit points. He has a forced effect that causes you to discard a non-objective ally after he engages, so you either need to spike him in the staging area, run light on allies (as I did), or have plenty of cannon fodder. The hidden mechanic can also lead to some lopsided games as you can get unlucky and suddenly have a mob of enemies engaging, all with chaining shadows, or smile as a bunch of nasty treacheries and locations are harmlessly discarded. I agree with Ian (Raven), this scenario will likely be overshadowed by some of the other great quests in this cycle.

I just want to know : what other great quests in this cycle? SF yes sure is good one but what about others?

DF is ok. AD is awful. AOO ok. SO there is no great quests in my opinion ony SF is good one. So only hope for Morgul Vale.

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

I just want to know : what other great quests in this cycle? SF yes sure is good one but what about others?
DF is ok. AD is awful. AOO ok. SO there is no great quests in my opinion ony SF is good one. So only hope for Morgul Vale.
With any rating we must be clear if we are talking about solo or multi. I think Glaurung is talking about solo? And Dan...?
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

For me as a solo player, I have really enjoyed this entire cycle so far. If a ranking were required, though, I think it would be:

1) Assault on Osgiliath - it's kind of like a souped-up version of Hills of Emyn Muil (my all-time favourite quest)

2) The Steward's Fear - it was a really nice take on the entire game, with the sort of controlled encounter deck revealing more of its secrets as we progressed through. Nice mechanics all-round, there.

3) Encounter at Amon Din - I loved this one! Awesomely thematic quest there.

4) The Druadan Forest - I really liked this too, it's just that the three others were better!

Them's my thoughts, anyway  :)

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#12 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Both times I've played Blood of Gondor have been solo. I will play it two player soon, but I've been very busy lately. To answer your question, Glaurung: I think that Steward's Fear, Druadan Forest and Assault on Osgiliath are all really good quests. I play more two player than solo, and the difficulty (and fun) of these quests varies by the number of players, so I don't expect other people's experiences to match mine. Overall my impression of the Against the Shadow cycle is this: really fun quests, and mediocre player cards (except for Gondorian Shield, which is absolutely amazing).

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

—Oscar Wilde

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

After NM And briliant HON this cycle is boring. Anyway this my opinion....i only wonna play MV now.

And soon i got a NM pack 2. Hope this will be interesting.

maybe i not even by Blood of Gondor.....for what?!? to win from first attempt in 2 3 rounds...........?!

#14 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Both times I've played Blood of Gondor have been solo. I will play it two player soon, but I've been very busy lately. To answer your question, Glaurung: I think that Steward's Fear, Druadan Forest and Assault on Osgiliath are all really good quests. I play more two player than solo, and the difficulty (and fun) of these quests varies by the number of players, so I don't expect other people's experiences to match mine. Overall my impression of the Against the Shadow cycle is this: really fun quests, and mediocre player cards (except for Gondorian Shield, which is absolutely amazing).

Yes you right maybe in cool game is ok but i play mostly solo.......

#15 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

The Steward's Fear is by far the least favourite of mine of this cycle (from the four I've got and played). But I would agree it is sort of difficult, so if that is the only measurement of quality for some, then I think it is surely more difficult than Amon Din. Forest and Osgiliath are harder in general, I would say, but you can get lucky; though luck is in a way the greatest factor in the Fear (for which I quite dislike it), solo the first underworld card (hidden below the Fourth Star) will often determine the outcome; the interesting factor about it is that it can later get nasty with the Plot and Villan combining strength, but then again it is much about chance there.

The Forest scales terribly with more players, hard to believe how badly.

Amon Din has beautiful locations. Osgiliath also. I think it is that one that is best, can be very hard (which is so needed for some players) and has interesting mechanics without being overly complicated - having so many different decks is really annoying in the Steward's Fear.

Edited by Ana, 24 August 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#16 Ithilien Ranger

Ithilien Ranger

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

My ranking for solo games would be:

1. Druadan Forest

2. Amon Din

3. Assault on Osgiliath

4. Steward's Fear

For 2-player games:

1. Assault on Osgiliath

2. Amon Din

3. Druadan Forest

4. Steward's Fear

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

my favourite so far is amon din. i have osgilliath but havnt played it yet but it looks like it could be my favourite when i do. then stewards fear then druadan forest. forest is just missing something for me, it doesnt have a lot going on in it

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#18 Legolas of Darkwood

Legolas of Darkwood

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

In my opinion Encounter at Amon Din is by far the best quest in this cycle so far. It has a nice mechanic that actually feels like rescuing villagers and the overall difficulty allows for a winning chance even in a casual group. My GF really likes the quest as well!

Assault on Osgiliath on the other hand is not nearly as thematic and the mechanic - as we all know - seems to be broken (unfortunately). Solo the quest can be easily won by bypassing... just about everything. But if you actually play the quest (e.g. 2+ players) it seems crazy hard. Way to hard for me to be any fun.   

#19 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think Osgiliath might be my favorite multiplayer quest to date.  When i manage to convince other friend(s) to play thats usually the one i try and break out now.  Had my first 3 player attempt at it last night and we actually won without a ton of adversity.  Having Legolas or Asfaloth are really good additions as they allow you to pass and control the active location within the turn which is obviously huge as it means you dont need to wait until after staging the next turn and risk revealing more locations.

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#20 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think Osgiliath might be my favorite multiplayer quest to date.  When i manage to convince other friend(s) to play thats usually the one i try and break out now.  Had my first 3 player attempt at it last night and we actually won without a ton of adversity.  Having Legolas or Asfaloth are really good additions as they allow you to pass and control the active location within the turn which is obviously huge as it means you dont need to wait until after staging the next turn and risk revealing more locations.

don't the rules state all locations are immune to player card effects?

edit: nevermind, this is what i was thinking of: "1B Player card effects cannot place progress tokens in the staging area."

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 27 August 2013 - 03:12 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS