having trouble making a decision

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm having a problem with the character creation. I need help with species and skill choices I am going to be an explorer scout. id like to use stealth and I am also having difficulty selecting with weapon being an explorer. I would think taking stealth that id take melee but should I take ranged (light) too so if push comes to shove a can take a corner  and pull my pistol. any opinions and advice would be great. 

thanks.

cordaro

#2 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

im dumb and posted twice sorry lol

thanks.

cordaro

“Watch your mouth kid, or you’ll find yourself floating home.”

Edited by pashacordaro420, 21 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#3 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm having a problem with the character creation. I need help with species and skill choices I am going to be an explorer scout. id like to use stealth and I am also having difficulty selecting with weapon being an explorer. I would think taking stealth that id take melee but should I take ranged (light) too so if push comes to shove a can take a corner  and pull my pistol. any opinions and advice would be great. 

thanks.

cordaro

“Watch your mouth kid, or you’ll find yourself floating home.”

#4 Lorne

Lorne

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

When in doubt, pick human. Human is the Mario of RPGs. In this game, humans automatically get a skill rank in two different non-career skills, so you can always pick-up whatever odd skill. Ranged (light) is always a good choice for nominal non-combatants.

#5 mrvander

mrvander

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I need help making decisions too. I mean, what should I eat tonight? I guess if my wife makes dinner that helps me out. But then I have to decide what book to read the little guys tonight at bedtime then after that what show to watch on Netflix. When I have $15 to spend, what X-Wing mini do I get? Do I save it for the Lambda? I mean it's just all too much and trying to evaluate the risk ahead of time is just so damned difficult. I mean what if I pick Breaking Bad to watch tonight but maybe I was in in more of a House of Cards mood? That would suck. I'm sorry, what was the question?

• Rikoshi likes this

#6 SadPolarBear

SadPolarBear

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

If you're wanting to focus on stealth and ranged weapons as an Explorer Scout.  You may also want to consider a Rodian.  They begin with 3 in Agility which helps stealth, ranged light, and ranged heavy.  Plus, you'll be getting a rank in Survival and in the Expert Tracker talent, which sounds like would fit in with how you're wanting to play.

Edited by SadPolarBear, 21 August 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm with, Lorne.  If you are having troubles with a Race, go Human.

If I was to want what it seems you are looking for, I would first not look at the names to closely of the Careers.

Human with a Rank in Stealth and one somewhere else

Career: Bounty Hunter, Specialization: Survivalist

Take another Specialization later down the road that has the skills you use mostly in your campaign.  I am going to let our campaign dictate the growth of my character.  For it is his story.

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#8 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

You're putting the cart before the horse, man. Concept first, then the numbers - never the other way around. Once you have that, the numbers will fall into place with ease.

How to build a character

and

How to build a character (part two)

Edited by Desslok, 21 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#9 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks guys really help me out this forum is awesome.

Edited by pashacordaro420, 21 August 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#10 Bronski

Bronski

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Definitely just create a character concept first then worry about the careers and what not.

If I ever don't GM and play a character I had wanted to play a Wookiee scout like character. I first looked at explorer but I didn't feel it fit my character. Saw the survivalist spec for Bounty Hunter and that fit really well. The Wookiee would be more of a big game hunter than going after the normal marks bounty hunters do.

#11 Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Definitely just create a character concept first then worry about the careers and what not.

If I ever don't GM and play a character I had wanted to play a Wookiee scout like character. I first looked at explorer but I didn't feel it fit my character. Saw the survivalist spec for Bounty Hunter and that fit really well. The Wookiee would be more of a big game hunter than going after the normal marks bounty hunters do.

Ha, I did the same thing when I made my son his Zabrak survival expert. My initial thought was Explorer: Scout, but really Bounty Hunter: Survivalist was more on point even though he wasn't a "Bounty Hunter" in name.

Basically, careers and specializations are just widgets to stick on to make your character do what his background says he should be able to, don't look at the name, just pick the ones that have the mechanics to back up your fluff.

#12 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yea that's wht I was thinking cause in vgrpgs I usually play a thief/rogue in that's wht I want to play any ideas?

#13 Banelight

Banelight

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

Yea that's wht I was thinking cause in vgrpgs I usually play a thief/rogue in that's wht I want to play any ideas?

I would think scoundrel or thief would be a good choice. I also was in a similar situation as I like the rogue like characters, I decided on the scoundrel. Quick Strike and the "face" skills are what eventually won me over.

Good to see the Survivalist love around here :)

Camaraderie, adventure and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS