• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jac74

jac74

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi
I want to start playing this game. I want to know if I buy just one core set will have enough cards to make a deck to play with in local turnaments. I can only buy one core set right now.

Any help will be great

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yes you will be able to build a tournament legal deck using 1 core set but it will not be a particularly great one as each affiliation gets 7 objective sets in one copy of each.

Your best bet would be for LS use Smugglers as your affiliation card get all the Jedi add in Han's set and then neutral stuff like Hit and Run and maybe the Ewoks set to make up your 10 objective sets.

For DS use Imperial Navy as your affiliation card and then get all the Sith with Imperial Command from Navy and Reconnaissance mission and another neutral will do the same to get you to 10 sets.

That will give you two legal decks. Your problem will be lack of consistency and only single copies of your big units so once they are dead that will be it for them that game in most cases.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Those decks won't quite be legal as one of the Sith and one of the Jedi objectives are limited to their affiliation only. Easy to fix with the DS deck by swapping for one more Navy set, not so easy to fix on LS.

#4 Elrathion

Elrathion

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Where are you buying them? You can get them pretty cheap online now. If you could afford two core starters (I think you can get two for around $50, or even cheaper if you would go on eBay used), your dark side will be top tournament level. In fact the National Champion just won with a deck using only the core set for dark side.

#5 jac74

jac74

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was thinking of geting one core and then get some of the force packs to make a more balance decks for Ls and Ds

#6 Elrathion

Elrathion

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you get 2 core sets and 2 edge of darkness sets you can be competing a lot easier then just getting a core and some sets in between. The most powerful cards are in the core sets.

#7 jac74

jac74

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

So I need 2 core set and 2 edge of darkness set.
And when balance of the force comes out I should also get 2 balance of the force sets?

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:38 AM

Start with two core sets. Also for Balance of the Force one copy will be enough as all of its regular sets are limit one per deck.

#9 navypirate83

navypirate83

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Though the force packs do add a lot of options.  You only have to buy one of those because they come with complete playsets of all the objective pods. 

• GroggyGolem likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS