madam Flush and alternate Baltar....is this as broken as it looks

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

hehe...I would have made my best,..."oh crap" face before I grinned a sinister grin and popped my opg naming ALL yellow

be removed from the vote :)

I think both Penguin and I acknowledged that it has it's uses....but, when you really wanna pass a vote and you are looking at 2 or three of them in your hand, yellow looks awfully pear-shaped. 

napoleon

#22 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Somewhat mystified by your hatred of purple, Napoleon...

Launch Scout - wins games, burying bad Destinations is a must
Strategic Planning - how is this a bad card? Auto-pass scouting, helps FTL and Armory and numerous Crisis cards
Critical Situation - great for characters who can't draw XOs, great for Cylons who want to do extra damage before revealing
Guts and Initiative - I know you're a fan of Investigative Committee, this prevents the need to throw in extra to account for Destiny
Trust Instincts - OK, this one is pretty meh, but still useful once Destiny has gotten low if you are counting properly
Scout for Fuel - honestly I don't think this is as useful as others seem to, but still pretty solid

Overall better than green (except for XO) and red (too few Crisis cards with red skill checks) and blue too (other than Repair they are only helpful when you have excess blue in hand) and purple helps with Brigging, Escaping from Brig and Execution.

#23 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ughh...

Launch scout....A whole action to look at one crisis is a waste. Even destination is a bad idea. "look a two,,,ugh...better keep it cause the next 2 might be 1's." result...wasted action.  There is ALWAYS something more important to do than wasting time.  Launch scouts don't win games, XO's do.  Launch scout is for when there is nothing really going on and have nothing else to do.

Strategic planning...meh...I guess it can be handy on the off times you can roll a die.  Course...you play one and guy rolls and 8 anyway or a 1 which doesn't help so the strat planning is a waste as often as it helps. Rather just use it for occasional purple vote..

crit sit....already acknowledged is the best (next to the search for fuel)the colour has to offer.

Guts and initiative...great make it reckless...yeesh...reckless sucks now.  Not enough of em in the deck either.

trust instincts ...this one isn't even MEH...this is a donut spinning on a doorknob.  it is Utterly useless.

Green kicks the crap outta purple with the executive order alone.  the Argument that "well its better than blue or red" doesn't make sense to me. You have to have a pilot and they need red for evasives and firepower and what not.  That's one you just kinda deal with. Pilots are important, and they need their piloting colour Especially with the last expansion. The assault raptor with a pilot can endlessly guard a fleet of civy ships.  An evasive becomes an auto-miss..  Blue is critical...Like I said in the chain...see how useless repair is when Galactica is on fire and all your vipers are in the shop.  Brigging is what the president is for or the GREATEST card in the game the yellow auto vote pass.  Execution is pointless.  All execution does is help the cylon  player.(explained why earlier) 

The majority of my point is that Military people, besides having on the whole very limited usefulness in abilities wither opg or all the time stink, BUT,...that their pull of Green/Purple is not NEARLY as useful as a green/yellow or a green/yellow1purple draw.  I have said this a couple times but, Green Yellow helps nearly all votes..purple is on a lot.  I know which set I would rather have. 

But, I guess this isn't the first time we have disagreed, ....Mr. No Quarum :) 

napoleon

#24 JasX

JasX

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

hehe...I would have made my best,..."oh crap" face before I grinned a sinister grin and popped my opg naming ALL yellow

be removed from the vote :)

At which point I'd point you to your character card... remark that you must have been a very poorly programmed Cylon not realising red tape is just as effective when "considered strength 0" might have wanted to save your OPG for when we brig you, and then carried on passing the check with the other positive colours :)

#25 JasX

JasX

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

....mind you, it's just occured to me chief would do rather well (if human) to stash an all hands on deck leadership card in his back pocket which stacks rather well to enhance his OPG

#26 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes...but, like Big Blue playing Kasparaov, the bot gets the last laugh.  The tape would have been REMOVED from the vote before it takes effect which meant all those High value negative cards thrown in STAY....no brig for me.  Which is what you made it sound like.  he threw in negative which killed the vote until you threw in Tape.

If tape no there...tape no effect.  :) 

napoleon

#27 JasX

JasX

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

How exactly would chief do that Napoleon? you seem to be confusing chief's OPG with Cally's quick fix. Chief has no core mechanic to remove cards from a check... you read his card recently (Google images it)?

then do I get to call you a silly cylon again ;p

Edited by JasX, 29 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#28 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ahhh...I guess I was thinking of Cally's. 

yeah for some reason I thought Tyrol removed the cards.  Haven't played him in a bit I guess.

Touche

I still say that except for those rare instances the Tape stinks and damages the purity of awesomeness in the yellow. 

Napoleon

#29 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

Ahhh...I guess I was thinking of Cally's. 

yeah for some reason I thought Tyrol removed the cards.  Haven't played him in a bit I guess.

Touche

I still say that except for those rare instances the Tape stinks and damages the purity of awesomeness in the yellow. 

Napoleon

Technically Tyrol does remove cards, but only after the season two finale and not the tyrol you're thinking of :P.

#30 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

is that a show reference?  Or am I missing something else:)

#31 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Bringing is what the president is for or the GREATEST card in the game the yellow auto vote pass. 

So you rely on drawing one specific card from the Quorum deck (I'll give you that there are 2 copies of it) when you need to brig someone and then hope that the Pres isn't a Cylon who Brigs a Human player instead? What do you do with all the useless cards like Probation or Appoint VP (really, how often does a vote happen? With Daybreak never) that you draw while trying to get the Arrest Order?

And honestly, I hate that yellow card and wish it had never been printed. It's just a broken card, whoever is lucky enough to draw into it generally holds it until after getting their Sleeper card then uses it to screw over the other team by Brigging or Executing someone. Or a Cylon player gets lucky enough to draw it and escapes from the Brig. It's a blatantly unfair card.

#32 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Well...we go through that quorum deck MUCH faster than you do..we actually xo the pres non-stop, (unless of course there is Madam one lump in play). And you are gonna tell me that you are not relying on all the players being human that vote to brig somebody?  Gonna blow a ton of cards on a pointless skill check when the pres can do it for free.  How hard does the brigging target fight? is there another cylon that will help him out,...and of course the fickle destiny cards.  We don't find those other cards useless either.  There are lots of those  VP type cards which gives two cards,.  the probation keeps whoever has it honest, release mugshots, civy defense, repair 2 vips and loc., eulogy, morale and food boosts. LOTS of VASTLY important cards., .  With our way you are only hoping that the pres is not a cylon. Your way with a vote to brig you have to worry about Everybody and you are wasting cards.  And if the pres does quasi reveal at least you know what you are dealing with. 

The yellow card is amazing and frankly I am all for it.  Up until now the president had that kind of singular power, now there is a chance for anybody to have that.  True the pres has a good chance at getting it but, I tell you until I get it I am BURNGING through yellow to get it. I don't have a problem with it.  After all this game is BASED on mismatched powers.  A game designer who makes pilot Apollo and then makes Anders and claims that they are trying for  some kind of equanimity in the game is out of his mind or a boldfaced liar.  So there are lot's of

"unfair" things in the game.  How about the new little honey that says if someone is "executed" they loose their miracle token even if they haven't used it yet.  Talk about unfair.

with that perspective the yellow card is nowhere near a big deal.

Despite your very different play styles, I would LOVE to play a game with you or at least watch a session.  It would be interesting.

Napoleon.

#33 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

LOL...I also think it is hilarious that I started this thread to discuss what I consider a REALLY blatantly unfair ability that the humans seem to have in Madam Cain Flushing more than half the total distance in a little more than one full round and it has lead to discussions on why purples stinks, which character are good or bad, and now the quorum decks usefulness. 

Thank heavens its the weekend...get to try it again.

napoleon

#34 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hey, it wouldn't be an FFG forum if we didn't go off on tangents, on the AGoT threads we'll go for 6+ pages sometimes. And I do love the fact that there is no one "right way" to achieve success for Humans! And that there is one wrong way, choosing to use Anders.

#35 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Ohh god...help that fool...

I am thinking about house ruling him.  he is SO unbelievably pathetic and it would have been so easy to make him playable.

I don't understand why they make god characters like Apollo and then him...it's so dumb.  We have to have bottom feeder games just to see some different characters otherwise it is ALWAYS the same lineup.  Maybe I should start another thread......

#36 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

is that a show reference?  Or am I missing something else:)

Cally's ability is to remove cards, she and Chief wed at the end of season two.

#37 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ohhh...ok

I should have known that.  I despise the show but, I did make it through season 3 I think.  The episodes kinda

bleed together so I am not sure where I finally had enough. 

Sorry didn't get joke:)

napoleon

#38 quit

quit

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

About the topic in the original post: If I were Cain or New Baltar, I would never help humans that well before sleeper fase and screw myself if I become cylon. You have to stay a tiny bit selfish before sleeper fase.

#39 napoleonWilson

napoleonWilson

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yeah...but the occasion sure does come around very infrequently. 

But, I think you kinda missed what Von was saying.  We were debating the value of Yellow vs. Purple.  I had used trust instincts card as an example of why purple stinks but, he countered with bringing up the Red Tape.  Which I have to say is a VERY valid point.  Both cards are about equally useful, very situational and I am sure everybody has some great, "this one time I did..." story, but for the most part, most of the time and when you are looking at 2 or 3 in your hand neither card is going to be winning any awards.

napoleon

#40 JasX

JasX

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

They are also good late game discards for moving between ships... mostly because they are not brown )

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS